What's new

Green Smearing on laserdisc DVD and yes, Bluray! (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Empirefan70 This will seem to be a controversial issue, yes it will seem like I’m angry and have some bitterness to the (video engineers). Now here is a big major ongoing issue and I have evidence on a few videos on youtube of this ugly horrible transferring of film you know the pure format to video, where someone clearly needs their (eyes vision looked at)!
The only "issue" is that you're using downrezzed youtube videos on a computer monitor (has your monitor been calibrated?) to assess the quality of Blu-ray discs. It's impossible to take you seriously.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Huh? If I understand the OP correctly (which I don't, but I think I understand enough), then this is a thread for anyplace on HTF except After Hours.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Jeff Gatie

Huh? If I understand the OP correctly (which I don't, but I think I understand enough), then this is a thread for anyplace on HTF except After Hours.

What -- you think someone moved it here? This is where the OP placed it.
Like you said, understanding the OP isn't easy, which makes choosing an alternate location a less than straightforward task. When in doubt, I prefer to think about it. Maybe one of my colleagues will have a better idea.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

What -- you think someone moved it here? This is where the OP placed it.

Like you said, understanding the OP isn't easy, which makes choosing an alternate location a less than straightforward task. When in doubt, I prefer to think about it. Maybe one of my colleagues will have a better idea.
No I don't think someone moved it here. I was saying to the OP that although I don't know what the heck he's talking about, I feel I understood enough to say he posted in the wrong area.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I feel I understood enough to say he posted in the wrong area.

And by the wrong area you mean, "Earth", right?

I've read, or tried to, the thread on the other forum. So far Ashley hasn't managed to post a single coherent message about any of this and the screen caps and YouTube videos are, of course, worse than useless. This mysterious "green smear" doesn't exist as far as I can tell. I've been an HT enthusiast for more years than I care to admit and I've never seen anything like it on any of the thousands of VHS tapes, laserdiscs, DVDs and Blu Ray discs I've seen - on a total 7 or 8 monitors and through 5 AVRs.

The fact the Ashley keeps comparing DVD and Blu Ray to VHS and laserdisc tells me that an ability to discern image quality is not one of his (her?) gifts. If the problem isn't with the OP's equipment it is with his eyes, or possibly with the aparatus behind them. When everyone on two forums tells you you're wrong, it is time to consider the possibility that you are, in fact, wrong. And stop blaming those who have done you the courtesy of trying to battle their way through your wretched prose to understand and help you.

Regards,

Joe

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have the "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" BD and I have never noticed any "green smearing" during any of the times that I watched it. In fact, it is a very good transfer that reproduces the look of the film quite well.
Your message gets lost when you start comparing youtube videos, old laserdisc transfers, and DVD transfers to Blu-ray discs. Furthermore, you do not reveal what kind of equipment you are using or whether it has been properly calibrated. For all we know your "green smear" could be a display issue due to lack of calibration.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
What do you want to bet his monitor is a CRT with the green gun out of alignment? Hence everything he sees has a green fringe.

Oh wait nevermind, I went to his other thread, and he's just complaining about how some films are leaning too much in the green direction when they're mastered for home video.

He's confusing the issue by inventing the term "green smear" when all he means is he'd prefer less of a green cast. He sees it mostly where blue shifts towards aqua-blue... and chances are (given how much ranting he's done) that on his particular monitor, aqua-blue is coming across as more green than it should, making it more problematic for him than for anyone else.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Hey, EmpireFan, take a breath, and then adjust the color settings of your monitor. It doesn't take much to shift green towards blue, where you will be happy. They colors are extremely close on the spectrum, so just a nudge away from green and towards blue will fix your problem. You should also check to make sure you don't have your saturation set too high, or it may be making very bright blues slide into green as well.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I think the green smear he's talking about is the old green magic marker trick on the sides of CD that helped keep the laser inside the cd so the sound was better. Either that, or he's talking about green cream cheese on a bagel.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Ashley actually does provide an equipment list (of sorts) in the other thread. The post is here.

It mostly consists of a ton of antiquated DVD and LD players, plus at least one CRT TV and a front projection system that sounds like it is hooked-up with using the RGB input. It is very hard to tell, given Ashley's continuing struggle with the English language, but I'm not even sure any of the monitors is HD, much less properly connected or calibrated. Yes, I can well imagine a Blu Ray player outputing via an s-video cable to a PAL resolution CRT monitor looking like absolute crap. But that's hardly an indictment of the format.

Ashley needs to list make, model and connection type for every piece of equipment (a simple list, the less "written" the better and please, no attempts at "description") in this setup. Then we can try to figure out that this "problem" is supposed to be. In the meantime, Ashley can go on calling us "green smear deniers".

Regards,

Joe

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Is this the appropriate thread in which one can discuss Star Trek?

;)

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

Is this the appropriate thread in which one can discuss Star Trek?

;)
No, it is not. As noted above, this thread is for the green magic marker trick. Or perhaps green cream cheese and bagels? Maybe green eggs and ham?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks