-

Photo
- - - - -

Green Smearing on laserdisc DVD and yes, Bluray!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 of 61 OFFLINE   Empirefan70

Empirefan70

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted December 07 2009 - 06:29 PM

updating new information         

The audience is listening to 56KW!

#2 of 61 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 08 2009 - 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirefan70 

This will seem to be a controversial issue, yes it will seem like I’m angry and have some bitterness to the (video engineers).   Now here is a big major ongoing issue and I have evidence on a few videos on youtube of this ugly horrible transferring of film you know the pure format to video, where someone clearly needs their (eyes vision looked at)!    
The only "issue" is that you're using downrezzed youtube videos on a computer monitor (has your monitor been calibrated?) to assess the quality of Blu-ray discs. It's impossible to take you seriously.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 61 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted December 08 2009 - 02:12 AM

Huh?  If I understand the OP correctly (which I don't, but I think I understand enough), then this is a thread for anyplace on HTF except After Hours.

#4 of 61 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 08 2009 - 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gatie 

Huh?  If I understand the OP correctly (which I don't, but I think I understand enough), then this is a thread for anyplace on HTF except After Hours.
What -- you think someone moved it here? This is where the OP placed it.
Like you said, understanding the OP isn't easy, which makes choosing an alternate location a less than straightforward task. When in doubt, I prefer to think about it. Maybe one of my colleagues will have a better idea.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 61 OFFLINE   Empirefan70

Empirefan70

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted December 08 2009 - 06:10 AM

Updating new information coming soon

#6 of 61 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted December 08 2009 - 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben View Post

What -- you think someone moved it here? This is where the OP placed it. 

Like you said, understanding the OP isn't easy, which makes choosing an alternate location a less than straightforward task. When in doubt, I prefer to think about it. Maybe one of my colleagues will have a better idea.
No I don't think someone moved it here.  I was saying to the OP that although I don't know what the heck he's talking about, I feel I understood enough to say he posted in the wrong area.

#7 of 61 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 08 2009 - 09:12 AM

Quote:
I feel I understood enough to say he posted in the wrong area.

And by the wrong area you mean, "Earth", right? 

I've read, or tried to, the thread on the other forum.  So far Ashley hasn't managed to post a single coherent message about any of this and the screen caps and YouTube videos are, of course, worse than useless.  This mysterious "green smear" doesn't exist as far as I can tell.  I've been an HT enthusiast for more years than I care to admit and I've never seen anything like it on any of the thousands of VHS tapes, laserdiscs, DVDs and Blu Ray discs I've seen - on a total 7 or 8 monitors and through 5 AVRs. 

The fact the Ashley keeps comparing DVD and Blu Ray to VHS and laserdisc tells me that an ability to discern image quality is not one of his (her?) gifts.  If the problem isn't with the OP's equipment it is with his eyes, or possibly with the aparatus behind them.  When everyone on two forums tells you you're wrong, it is time to consider the possibility that you are, in fact, wrong.  And stop blaming those who have done you the courtesy of trying to battle their way through your wretched prose to understand and help you.

Regards,

Joe

#8 of 61 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,583 posts

Posted December 08 2009 - 10:31 AM

I have the "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" BD and I have never noticed any "green smearing" during any of the times that I watched it. In fact, it is a very good transfer that reproduces the look of the film quite well.
Your message gets lost when you start comparing youtube videos, old laserdisc transfers, and DVD transfers to Blu-ray discs. Furthermore, you do not reveal what kind of equipment you are using or whether it has been properly calibrated. For all we know your "green smear" could be a display issue due to lack of calibration.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#9 of 61 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted December 08 2009 - 11:50 AM

What do you want to bet his monitor is a CRT with the green gun out of alignment? Hence everything he sees has a green fringe.

Oh wait nevermind, I went to his other thread, and he's just complaining about how some films are leaning too much in the green direction when they're mastered for home video.

He's confusing the issue by inventing the term "green smear" when all he means is he'd prefer less of a green cast. He sees it mostly where blue shifts towards aqua-blue... and chances are (given how much ranting he's done) that on his particular monitor, aqua-blue is coming across as more green than it should, making it more problematic for him than for anyone else.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#10 of 61 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted December 08 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hey, EmpireFan, take a breath, and then adjust the color settings of your monitor. It doesn't take much to shift green towards blue, where you will be happy. They colors are extremely close on the spectrum, so just a nudge away from green and towards blue will fix your problem. You should also check to make sure you don't have your saturation set too high, or it may be making very bright blues slide into green as well.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#11 of 61 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 01:43 AM

I think the green smear he's talking about is the old green magic marker trick on the sides of CD that helped keep the laser inside the cd so the sound was better.  Either that, or he's talking about green cream cheese on a bagel.

#12 of 61 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 09 2009 - 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gatie ">

Either that, or he's talking about green cream cheese on a bagel.

Now I'm suddenly hungry for some green eggs and ham.  <br /></span>
<br />
Joe

<br />

</div>

<div class=

#13 of 61 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 09 2009 - 03:48 AM

Ashley actually does provide an equipment list (of sorts) in the other thread.  The post is here.

It mostly consists of a ton of antiquated DVD and LD players, plus at least one CRT TV and a front projection system that sounds like it is hooked-up with using the RGB input.  It is very hard to tell, given Ashley's continuing struggle with the English language, but I'm not even sure any of the monitors is HD, much less properly connected or calibrated.  Yes, I can well imagine a Blu Ray player outputing via an s-video cable to a PAL resolution CRT monitor looking like absolute crap.  But that's hardly an indictment of the format. 

Ashley needs to list make, model and connection type for every piece of equipment (a simple list, the less "written" the better and please, no attempts at "description") in this setup.  Then we can try to figure out that this "problem" is supposed to be.  In the meantime, Ashley can go on calling us "green smear deniers". 

Regards,

Joe

#14 of 61 OFFLINE   Empirefan70

Empirefan70

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 04:54 AM

updating new information...

#15 of 61 OFFLINE   Empirefan70

Empirefan70

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 05:06 AM

updating new information coming soon...

#16 of 61 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,046 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 09 2009 - 05:10 AM

I'm not the only one who has no clue what this thread about, right?

#17 of 61 OFFLINE   Empirefan70

Empirefan70

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 05:17 AM

Green smearing is very real! Bluray is a losing format. 

#18 of 61 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,494 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 09 2009 - 05:19 AM

No, Travis.  You are definitely not the only one. 

Signed,

(HDAM SR)

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#19 of 61 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,295 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 05:58 AM

Is this the appropriate thread in which one can discuss Star Trek?

;)

#20 of 61 OFFLINE   Michelle Schmid

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockeghem View Post

Is this the appropriate thread in which one can discuss Star Trek?

;)
No, it is not.  As noted above, this thread is for the green magic marker trick.  Or perhaps green cream cheese and bagels?  Maybe green eggs and ham?