What's new

HDMI Cable (1 Viewer)

phantom76

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Hello,
I understand that there are no significant difference in hdmi cables. My question is will the type of hdmi cable effect the Hz of the tv? I have a tv that is a 600Hz and it seems like I'm only getting 60Hz.

Thanks

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
There are no sources that output a 600Hz signal. Most everything is 60Hz, one notable exception would be Blu-Rays at 24fps.

The 60Hz to 600Hz transformation takes place completely within your TV - your TV (LCD, I assume) is essentially refreshing the frame several times before a new image is received.

I beleive this is done to help reduce motion blur in LCD displays, but I could be wrong.

With HDMI cables, it's only necessary to make sure that it supports HDMI version 1.3 (which shouldn't make the cable very expensive, either). The cables at Monoprice.com are great, quality cables and are a fraction of the cost of anything Monster makes.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You are probably looking at the source indicator. Sources of HDTV are either 60Hz or 24Hz. They correspond to the refresh/frame rates of TV and film, respectively. This nothing to do with how they are displayed on your screen. The refresh rate of you screen (600 Hz) is fixed and non-variable. It will refresh at 600 Hz no matter the source.

Why 600 Hz? That requires a little background: As noted above, the original frame rates for film and TV were 24 Hz and 60 Hz. Unfortunately for film lovers, when 24Hz films were shown in 60Hz on TV, they needed to display 24 independent frames divided into 60 frames per second, and the numbers just didn't work. So they had to use a process called "3:2 pulldown", which would display first 3 frames, then 2 frames for 60 frames a second, like this:

Frame 1 of film = Frames 1-2-3 of 60.

Frame 2 of film = Frames 4-5 of 60

Frame 3 of film = Frames 6-7-8 of 60

Frame 4 of film = Frames 8-9 of 60

Etc. This 3/2 cadence caused a judder in the playback of films on TV.

But now that we have higher refresh rates which are a multiple of both 60 and 24 (e.g. 120 Hz, 600 Hz) a 24Hz film can be displayed as the following (ex. 600Hz)

Frame 1 of film = Frames 1-24 of 600

Frame 2 of film = Frames 25-48 of 600

Frame 3 of film = Frames 49-72 of 600

Etc. Since each frame is displayed for exactly 24 frames on the TV, this eliminates the judder from the 3/2 cadence and smooths out the picture.

All this means nothing when viewing the refresh rate of the source, because the source is still (with some rare exceptions) either 60 Hz for HD video or 24 Hz for film.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
I second Jason's monoprice.com recommendation. I've been using them for a long time for cables, speaker wire, wall plates, connectors and even in-wall speakers. They offer a great value.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Another rec for monoprice cables. The funny thing is I would probably NOT get their best hdmi cable, bwcause it is SO heavy duty and so strongly reinforced that is has very little flexilibity. I find it is not a good shoice for hdmi. The next step down is perfectly fine and stil very heavy.,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks