Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Angels & Demons 2 Disc Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,854 posts

Posted December 04 2009 - 02:25 PM

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,770 posts

Posted December 05 2009 - 04:34 AM

What exactly was added to the extended cut?  I rented it and watched the extended cut only, and I'm guessing it was probably a fair amount of violence.  The theatrical cut was rated PG-13 and I can't imagine some of the violence in the extended cut passing with that rating. I liked this a lot more than THE DA-VINCI CODE.  A very entertaining movie and it looked great on BD. Vincent

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,854 posts

Posted December 05 2009 - 06:07 AM

You're correct that the longer cut adds more violence.  There are also little extensions to show a little more of this character or that one.  There's nothing in my mind that really took this to a hard "R".  (The version I focused on was the extended version, so I could see the longer movie.)  But you're right - the extended version has a little too much violence to pass for "PG-13".

This film and The Da Vinci Code are both a bit bloodier than the National Treasure movies.  But Ron Howard doesn't make extreme gore-fests.  The blood is usually just a reminder of the stakes in the thriller, rather than a gratuitous display.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,873 posts

Posted December 05 2009 - 08:00 AM

Thanks for the review, Kevin. I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I remember being disappointed in The Da Vinci Code, but enjoyed the extended version of that film much more. This one kept a brisk pace, entertaining ideas, and as you say, without too much scrutiny on the plot, is really enjoyable. The best part for me, however, was the boom and rumble that Hans Zimmer's excellent score delivers!
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection