-

Photo
- - - - -

Hook up Sony STR-DH800 to all these darn things?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Matlackp

Matlackp

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 04 2009 - 03:56 AM

Thanks in advance. I have a new Sony STR-DH800 receiver that I would like to get the most out of with these components. Any suggestions on how to hook up each one?

- Sony KDF50E2000 LCD - it has 2 RCA, 2 Component, 2 HDMI Inputs and 1 optical output

- AT&T Uverse box with an HDMI, Component, and RCA outputs

- Sharp BDHP16 BluRay

- Wii with component or RCA outputs...can't remember

- PS2 with component or RCS outputs and an Optical Out

- CD player....it is old so I know it is probably just using RCA most likely and obvious hook up.

So what is the best way to hook these up to each other and use the receiver for its maximum function? I was thinking:

- AT&T to Receiver via HDMI
- Receiver to TV via HDMI (but will I have sound from AT&T at the TV if the receiver is off....passthrough?)
- Blue Ray to Receiver via HDMI
- Wii - can you send it to receiver through components/rca or does it have to go directly to TV? How can I get sound into the receiver then...or can you?
- PS2 - can you send it to receiver through components/rca or does it have to go directly to TV? If it goes to TV then I can use the optical out on the PS2 to get sound to receiver right?
- does using the optical out from the TV back to the receiver help with any of this?

Thanks for your help!

#2 of 5 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted December 04 2009 - 06:16 AM

- AT&T to Receiver via HDMI - Check

- Receiver to TV via HDMI (but will I have sound from AT&T at the TV if the receiver is off....passthrough?) - Check, but the receiver must be on to watch TV.  No sound or video if the receiver is off.

- Blue Ray to Receiver via HDMI - Check

- Wii - can you send it to receiver through components/rca or does it have to go directly to TV? How can I get sound into the receiver then...or can you?  Either/Or on the video.  For sound via the receiver, use RCA white/red cables.

- PS2 - can you send it to receiver through components/rca or does it have to go directly to TV? If it goes to TV then I can use the optical out on the PS2 to get sound to receiver right?- does using the optical out from the TV back to the receiver help with any of this?  - Video via component either through the receiver or direct to TV.  Audio via optical out on the PS3.  The digital out on the TV only supplies DD 5.1 from the internal TV tuner.  For all other sources, the digital out gives 2.0 stereo.  SInce you are using the cable box as a TV source, the digital out on the TV is not of help.

#3 of 5 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,880 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted December 04 2009 - 06:53 AM

It doesn't seem as though the Sony model you listed (STR-DH800) does analog to digital video conversion.  This means that if you have a mix of HDMI and component video sources going to the reciever, you need to have both HDMI and Component video runs from the receiver to the TV.

It's a minor inconvenience, in that you'll need to switch inputs on the TV as well if you're going from one video type to another, but IMO it's still preferred to run all audio AND video sources to the AVR, then run your video signal(s) to the TV.

Also, if you need any additional HDMI or component video cables to complete the setup, take a look at Monoprice.com.  They have high quality cables at very affordable prices.  Very highly recommended.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 5 Matlackp

Matlackp

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 04 2009 - 08:01 AM

Jeff......So the Optical Out from the TV won't do me much good because I am not using it as the tuner for anything......if I run everything through the AVR and then to TV using same cables, then there is not need to get anything back to ARV from TV because audio already went through ARV.

Jason....thanks for the heads up on cables.....I will check that out.  So even if I am going to use the component or RCA cable for the Wii and PS2, I still run them into the AVR and then run component and RCA from ARV to TV.....that makes sense. Thank you for your Help!

Thank you both!  I think it makes it pretty clear on how it has to be set up!  It also seems that I will need to get used to having the ARV on for everything I want to do because neither A or V will pass thru to TV if AVR is off.  Thanks again!!!

#5 of 5 Ricodemus

Ricodemus

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 23 2011 - 02:09 AM

I'm still having problems coneccting my Wii. I bought the HDMI for it, sounds out tv, but can't get it through stereo. I Have Direct TV and Hdmi as well. What am i doing wrong?