-

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast to buy NBC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,743 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 01:05 PM

http://www.engadget....unced-thursday/

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 14 ONLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,032 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted December 03 2009 - 01:23 AM

Having been a customer of Comca$t, this news scares me. The last thing this world needs is even more large, mega-companies controlling the media. Especially one that hates customers as much as Comca$t seems to.

-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Darren_N

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted December 03 2009 - 06:11 AM

A concern I have is if Comcast controls all the channels affiliated with NBC (Bravo, SyFy, Universal, etc.), would they be able to make it difficult for their cable and satellite competitors to carry these channels?  Hopefully, there are regulations in place that would prevent this.
Edelstein's Advice:
Don't worry about what other people are thinking about you. They're too busy worrying about what you are thinking of them.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,435 posts

Posted December 03 2009 - 07:08 AM

I wonder how Comcast's position on file sharing will change.  Right now, they've abrogated their responsibility towards any enforcement of copyright law other than sending out takedown notices only when prompted by the copyright holders.  What will change now that they own the content?

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,177 posts

Posted December 03 2009 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_N 

A concern I have is if Comcast controls all the channels affiliated with NBC (Bravo, SyFy, Universal, etc.), would they be able to make it difficult for their cable and satellite competitors to carry these channels?  Hopefully, there are regulations in place that would prevent this.

After what happened with Versus, I could see it happen with those cable networks. I hope I'm wrong on that, since I like all the original series on USA.

As I mentioned in the other NBC thread, I already hate them for blacking out 3 of the local Philly teams.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,198 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 03 2009 - 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_N 

Regulators are going to be looking at this plan very carefully. I don't see the merger being approved without guarantees that the new NBC Universal won't engage in the sort of vertical integration that has caused other conglomerates to run afoul of antitrust laws.

Part of the reason "synergy" never took off the way many expected it to is because of the degree to which regulations prohibit synergizing. You might even see a requirement that forces Comcast to "pay" the same rates to NBC Uni as its competitors have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C 

After what happened with Versus, I could see it happen with those cable networks. I hope I'm wrong on that, since I like all the original series on USA.

As I mentioned in the other NBC thread, I already hate them for blacking out 3 of the local Philly teams.
Baseball blackouts have nothing to do with your cable provider, and everything to do with MLB rules.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,259 posts

Posted December 03 2009 - 11:10 AM

This link has more to do with Scribd than Comcast, but some of it may be relevant to a few posts I've read on this thread.  There are also some related articles (e.g., on file sharing) at the right of the main page (under 'Monday').

I have been reading some material over at Techdirt.  I find the topic quite interesting, especially since I work closely with a Copyright Officer on campus.  We deal with streaming issues frequently.

http://techdirt.com/...dition=techdirt

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted December 04 2009 - 09:27 PM

"Baseball blackouts have nothing to do with your cable provider, and everything to do with MLB rules."

Bullshit! This isn't the NFL. MLB doesn't have blackout rules.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted December 05 2009 - 12:45 AM

MLB has blackout rules. They are not attendance based like the NFL. They are based on broadcast rights conflicts and coverage areas vs. local markets. This mostly comes into play on the "superstations".

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Kennethlawson

Kennethlawson

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 02 2010 - 10:20 AM

There are many bigger issues other then just one company owning/controlling most of the pipes into a house, cable/fiber, dsl, phone . Not only are they gatekeepers, but now they will own or at least control most of the content coming in those pipes. There are many other issues at stack here.  

This opens the way for  Comcast to more closesy watch what you do online. Example say you want to stream a NBC show on a non-Comcast santioned site, they could very easily slow the connection, making it unplayable, or even stop it completly. Go to a Comcast supported site and it works prefectly..

You be the judge...
This sets a president that is very scary..  Comcast/NBC ,,, Be Afraid,, Very Afraid..

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,177 posts

Posted September 24 2010 - 06:27 AM

I guess it was inevitable, although you never really knew with NBC.

NBC Universal CEO to leave when Comcast takes over

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 24 2010 - 06:31 AM

Silver lining!

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,019 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 24 2010 - 07:00 AM

Insert "Kabletown/Don Geiss" joke here.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,198 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 24 2010 - 07:48 AM

Thank God! He must not have blackmail on Comcast the way he so obviously must on GE.