What's new

FATHER KNOWS BEST: Season 4 coming in March (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Per Gord and Dave's site, Shout Factory will be releasing Season 4 of Father Knows Best on March 23rd. As always, this is most welcomed news!

Gary "keep 'em coming, only 2 more to go after this upcoming set" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yep, this has been an exceptionally good day for vintage TV release news. I think we should appreciate it for all it's worth because I doubt we will get too many more days like this one.

FKB S4
The Virginian S1
Matlock S4 (ok, it's not "vintage" but I like it - LOL)
The Goldbergs
Steve Canyon V3 (not really today's news, but announced today at Gord & Dave's site)
My Three Sons S2, V1 (I knew this one was coming for a while now and was starting to worry about it. Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that the backscore is intact)

Gary "all in all, a good release news day" O.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Yep, this has been an exceptionally good day for vintage TV release news. I think we should appreciate it for all it's worth because I doubt we will get too many more days like this one.

FKB S4
The Virginian S1
Matlock S4 (ok, it's not "vintage" but I like it - LOL)
The Goldbergs
Steve Canyon V3 (not really today's news, but announced today at Gord & Dave's site)
My Three Sons S2, V1 (I knew this one was coming for a while now and was starting to worry about it. Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that the backscore is intact)

Gary "all in all, a good release news day" O.
Big Paramount day.

And I agree about My Three Sons S2V1. Maybe the long delay was kind of like the Fugitive delay... to fix music issues!

As for Father Knows Best v4... well, what is there to say? Shout has done great with the show since S2.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
So glad Shout! is moving ahead with Father Knows Best.

Season 4 is definitely the second-weakest season (just behind Season 6) -- but it gets us one step closer to the stellar Season 5, which has lots & lots of classic episodes in it. (For Season 5, the show moved back to CBS and scriptwriter Dorothy Cooper returned on a regular basis. Some of the show's very best episodes are in that season.)

Season 4 does have some classics, though, including the hilarious "Revenge is Sweet" (Bud gets invited to Betty's rich boyfriend's parents' house for dinner) and the unusual fantasy episode "Mr. Beal Meets His Match" (which my local UHF station refused to air back in the '70s because they deemed it out of line with the station's CBN affiliation.)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I wonder how Shout will handle the flashback episodes, which I know are in Seasons 5 and 6, and maybe Season 4 (I'm too lazy to check right now).

Robert Young was getting tired of doing a show a week, so they started showing old episodes every now and then, but they filmed new introductions to them. It wouldn't be necessary for Shout to include these shows in their entirety, with the flashbacks, which were simply old episodes with a few minutes cut out of them -- and we all know how we feel about cut episodes here -- but the introductions certainly should be included as extras.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I've always been a fan of the "Mr. Beal Meets His Match" episode so I'm in for FKB season 4.

I'm also curious about that "Virginian" news. I've never seen it but I'm really enjoying all these other westerns that were released (e.g., Wagon Train, Laredo, Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Big Valley). Most of which I had never seen previously or only a few episodes of here and there as a kid. I also like that it's not coming until March since I'm cut off from any more purchases for a while (self imposed) until I get through some more of what I already have unwatched.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I was just thinking about this yesterday. I'm very happy to have a release date and will definitely be buying this set. Since it is being released so early, maybe we will actually get another season in 2010. That would be fantastic!!! :)

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I knew Gary would be excited as soon as I saw the announcement on Facebook.

BTW, just how many flashback episodes were there? SF has been including some as extras on the earlier sets.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
One could go through the list of episodes here:

http://www.tv.com/father-knows-best/show/659/episode.html?season=All&tag=list_header;paginator;All

and see when titles are repeated to see which episodes were rerun with new introductions. I'm not in the mood to do it now, but I will eventually.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Has Shout Factory ever stated anything about their intentions with Window on Main Street? Can we expect to see the entire series released?

Seems like they're going to have to pick things up a bit to get all 13 episodes out, because we've only had 5 so far I believe (4 from past FKB sets, and 1 more their Christmas classics release)?

Are there any lost episodes or episodes that are in too poor a condition to be included? Seems like I remember hearing something from Shout somewhere about at least 1 of the episodes being in poor shape and being replaced by a different episode in one of these sets?

There are 8 more episodes left with just three more reasons of Father Knows Best left to be released. Are they going to be able to finish this up?

Edit - I see from past threads that we don't even know how many episodes there were of this show. Did anyone ever find a definitive answer for that? I had always heard 13, but never thought that sounded right.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
TV.com lists 13 episodes with airdates. However, not all episodes have titles. It is possible the show was cancelled before it produced a full season. So 13 episodes could be likely in that case. Either way, I hope Shout can go ahead and release all episodes. The extras for Season 4 were announced on tvshowsondvd.com today. It says "episodes" from Window on Main Street will be included. I hope that means multiple episodes. I'd be fine if they skipped the Christmas episode since that has already been released on the Merry Sitcom compilation. Maybe we will get more info soon.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
For me, I hope that they do include the Christmas episode, so that I don't have to get Merry Sitcom! I have half of the episodes on that DVD already.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

IMDB says 34 episodes, but doesn't have complete listings for all 34.

34-36 sounds about right for a single season of a show from that era.
Window on Main Street lasted a complete season, so there'd be far more than 13 episodes. Unfortunately, epguides.com doesn't list it. IDMB is sometimes confusing on these issues, too.

JeffBoomer

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Hi, FYI: There were 34 episodes of Window on Main Street. (I help maintain the fatherknowsbest.com website and got this info from Robert Young's grandson, so the source is about as good as you can get!)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JeffBoomer

Hi, FYI: There were 34 episodes of Window on Main Street. (I help maintain the fatherknowsbest.com website and got this info from Robert Young's grandson, so the source is about as good as you can get!)

I actually recall seeing the amount of 36. Don't remember where, maybe in an old syndication bible perhaps.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Wow! Didn't realize there were so many. So, unless Shout decideds to do a complete series set, it doesn't seem like they would include all episodes as bonus features. Maybe they can do a special web-exclusive set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks