What's new

Red Dead Redemption (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The trailer looked good. Whether the game play matches up is anyone's guess.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd say, "It's Rockstar, and they have a pretty solid record," but this is Rockstar San Diego. I've never personally played one of their games. Still, Bully was Vancouver and GTA was North and they are all high-quality. I'm pretty confident it'll be good.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The reviews on this are gushing, nothing below a 9.1 so far that I've seen. I may have to get this and I only buy a new release a couple times a year. It's Rockstar, I should have known!

http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/57148/red-dead-redemption/index/
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14320288/red-dead-redemption/videos/reddead_vdr_051710.html

Edit: used some of my banked credit at Amazon and ordered.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions scored a 9.7 at IGN. Even higher than Mass Effect 2 and Uncharted 2.

My 360 copy shipped from Amazon (along with the Alan Wake Limited Collector's Edition) early this morning, with overnight shipping...should be here tomorrow, if I'm lucky. God, just between both of those games, my wife's gonna be a total widow for the next few months.

Cannot fucking wait.

(While I'm on a Blazing Saddles kick, here, I'm also hoping that there's a "FOUND ALL THE WHITE WOMEN" achievement.)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wonder if there'll be a comparison article between the 360 and PS3 versions, or does that not matter anymore?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Regardless of technical merits between the two I think that Multiplayer is going to be such a hoot on this that if you have both you simply must buy it on 360 for the superior Live experience. That's how I chose anyway.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, Xbox LIVE is the only way to fly for multiplayer.

According to reviewers, the only major, significant performance difference between the two versions is in the framerate -- apparently, the Xbox 360 build never (or very, very rarely) drops in framerate, whereas the PS3 version more often does, but this is due to the fact that the PS3 build uses vSync to reduce screen-tearing. vSync takes up a lot of system performance.
So, if you're concerned about framerate, go with the 360 version; otherwise, they both look awesome.

Also, if anyone's getting a 360 posse together, my user handle is "FiveToeEnema."

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
And mine is Kadath.

I'm not sure when my copy will get here... I ordered it from Amazon around 7PM last night, doubt it will get here today, maybe tomorrow.-

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Some more information about the differences between the two versions has apparently just come to light on various industry sites:

It's looking more like native 540p (upconverted to 720p) resolution with no anti-aliasing for the PS3 version, versus native 720p (upconvertible to 1080p) with 2x AA for the Xbox 360 version.

Originally, it was thought to be native 680p resolution for the PS3 build, but it seems that Rockstar had to make even more performance sacrifices for that console than was previously believed. Glad I'm going with the Xbox version, then, I guess.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think those specs are similar to the 360/PS3 specs for GTAIV. They were the reason I chose the 360 in the first place! I was trying to figure out the best version, though I only have a 360 at the moment. Looks like I can just buy that version. Thanks.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Is the framerate issue or the resolution issue really that big of a deal? I haven't seen anyone say that it's really noticeable or affects gameplay enough to recommend one version over another. Honestly, I think it's a petty form of technical dick-waving (pardon the offensive term).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I just want to get the best version. I don't know if it ends up mattering on the screen, but if it had turned out to be a knockout win for the PS3, that would be one more reason to get the machine.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have both units, but I decided to go with the XBOX version for this game. Personally, I think Rockstar cuts corners on the PS3 versions of their games because the majority of their sales are on the XBOX.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Edwin may have a point there. Some other games look better on PS3, but with Rockstar the 360 versions seem to be superior.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
My horse! My beautiful, beautiful stallion! Why did you step off that cliff when I got off of you to loot things from a stranger's body? Ohhhh, horse...I couldn't even bear to skin you, and sell your meat.

My package arrived yesterday from Amazon (both Red Dead and the Alan Wake Limited Edition), and both are simply spectacular.

Jesus Christ, this game. Awesome, in the dictionary sense of the word. The first ride through the desert during a sunset is breathtaking. The interactions with Bonnie MacFarlane do more in 10 minutes than most games do for their characters in six hours. I was just walking through Armadillo, and I heard gunfire. All the townsfolk started scattering, and some gang came riding through town, firing their guns into the air and dragging some poor bastard behind one of the horses.
This game seriously feels alive.

Favorite wilderness-moment so far:

Two guys chasing down one of the bad guys in the top hats. Shot the baddie in the leg, the other two lower their guns, and just let their horses trample him. They stop a few feet away, and then get off, just to spit on the guy's corpse.

That's just fucking cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks