Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Red Dead Redemption

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 of 120 Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

• 708 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 04:06 AM

This game looks great!

http://kotaku.com/5416174/red-dead-redemptions-second-trailer-forgives-nothing-debuts

"A human being is part of the whole called by us the Universe. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest --a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection...

#2 of 120 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,541 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 09:00 AM

The trailer looked good. Whether the game play matches up is anyone's guess.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#3 of 120 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 02 2009 - 10:36 AM

I'd say, "It's Rockstar, and they have a pretty solid record," but this is Rockstar San Diego.  I've never personally played one of their games.  Still, Bully was Vancouver and GTA was North and they are all high-quality.  I'm pretty confident it'll be good.

#4 of 120 Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 08:21 PM

I think it just keeps looking better and better, every time I see it!!!

Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

#5 of 120 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,875 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted May 14 2010 - 12:20 PM

HOLY SHIT:   http://kotaku.com/55...dead-redemption  

Quote:

What kind of man shoots a songbird? The same who checks to see if he can shoot his own horse. I can tell you that it can take a shot in the rump, but not one in the head. That horse can be skinned, its meat another commodity to be traded.

Without a horse I feared I was stranded, caught in an interactive dull patch. Not so. A man galloped by on his own horse. I had Marston shoot him. The horse fled, dead man dangling from the stirrup.

I made Marston walk and learned that in Red Dead Redemption, the circling of birds high in the sky means the same thing it does in real life: Something dead is below. The death I found was a woman in prairie dress, collapsed to the ground, a man sobbing at her side. I stood and watched. The man produced a revolver and shot himself in the head. This scene was dropped into the game at random, I was told, one of many moments Red Dead Redemption will employ to surprise players as they roam its terrain.

There is so much awesome in just those three paragraphs.

It's so beautiful.

I almost feel like a psycho for saying that I'm just going to spend an hour running around, and seeing how many animals I can kill. (And I'm a non-cruelty-practicing vegan.) I can't help but bust out a Blazing Saddles reference: first chance I get, I gotta try and punch out a horse.
  Oh, I'm not out of Blazing Saddles jokes:   I'm hoping I can name my posse "The French Mistake."

Or possibly "A Shitload Of Dimes."

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#6 of 120 Raymond_H

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 244 posts

Posted May 17 2010 - 06:52 AM

http://xbox360.ign.c.../1090145p3.html

#7 of 120 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,509 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 17 2010 - 09:04 AM

The reviews on this are gushing, nothing below a 9.1 so far that I've seen.  I may have to get this and I only buy a new release a couple times a year.  It's Rockstar, I should have known!

http://g4tv.com/game...demption/index/

http://xbox360.ign.c...vdr_051710.html

Edit:  used some of my banked credit at Amazon and ordered.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#8 of 120 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,875 posts

Posted May 17 2010 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions scored a 9.7 at IGN. Even higher than Mass Effect 2 and Uncharted 2.

My 360 copy shipped from Amazon (along with the Alan Wake Limited Collector's Edition) early this morning, with overnight shipping...should be here tomorrow, if I'm lucky. God, just between both of those games, my wife's gonna be a total widow for the next few months.

Cannot fucking wait.

(While I'm on a Blazing Saddles kick, here, I'm also hoping that there's a "FOUND ALL THE WHITE WOMEN" achievement.)

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#9 of 120 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 17 2010 - 02:31 PM

I wonder if there'll be a comparison article between the 360 and PS3 versions, or does that not matter anymore?

#10 of 120 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,509 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 01:24 AM

Regardless of technical merits between the two I think that Multiplayer is going to be such a hoot on this that if you have both you simply must buy it on 360 for the superior Live experience.  That's how I chose anyway.

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#11 of 120 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,875 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 05:34 AM

Yeah, Xbox LIVE is the only way to fly for multiplayer.

According to reviewers, the only major, significant performance difference between the two versions is in the framerate -- apparently, the Xbox 360 build never (or very, very rarely) drops in framerate, whereas the PS3 version more often does, but this is due to the fact that the PS3 build uses vSync to reduce screen-tearing. vSync takes up a lot of system performance.

So, if you're concerned about framerate, go with the 360 version; otherwise, they both look awesome.

Also, if anyone's getting a 360 posse together, my user handle is "FiveToeEnema."

#12 of 120 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,509 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 06:16 AM

And mine is Kadath.

I'm not sure when my copy will get here...  I ordered it from Amazon around 7PM last night, doubt it will get here today, maybe tomorrow.-

#13 of 120 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 18 2010 - 06:26 AM

I'm not a multiplayer, but the framerate issue is important.

#14 of 120 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,875 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 06:43 AM

Some more information about the differences between the two versions has apparently just come to light on various industry sites:

It's looking more like native 540p (upconverted to 720p) resolution with no anti-aliasing for the PS3 version, versus native 720p (upconvertible to 1080p) with 2x AA for the Xbox 360 version.

Originally, it was thought to be native 680p resolution for the PS3 build, but it seems that Rockstar had to make even more performance sacrifices for that console than was previously believed. Glad I'm going with the Xbox version, then, I guess.

#15 of 120 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 18 2010 - 11:05 AM

I think those specs are similar to the 360/PS3 specs for GTAIV.  They were the reason I chose the 360 in the first place!  I was trying to figure out the best version, though I only have a 360 at the moment.  Looks like I can just buy that version.  Thanks.

#16 of 120 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,098 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 01:23 PM

Is the framerate issue or the resolution issue really that big of a deal?  I haven't seen anyone say that it's really noticeable or affects gameplay enough to recommend one version over another.  Honestly, I think it's a petty form of technical dick-waving (pardon the offensive term).

#17 of 120 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 18 2010 - 01:55 PM

I just want to get the best version.  I don't know if it ends up mattering on the screen, but if it had turned out to be a knockout win for the PS3, that would be one more reason to get the machine.

#18 of 120 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,541 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 03:20 PM

I have both units, but I decided to go with the XBOX version for this game. Personally, I think Rockstar cuts corners on the PS3 versions of their games because the majority of their sales are on the XBOX.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#19 of 120 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,362 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 20 2010 - 06:02 AM

Edwin may have a point there.  Some other games look better on PS3, but with Rockstar the 360 versions seem to be superior.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#20 of 120 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,875 posts

Posted May 20 2010 - 06:44 AM

My horse! My beautiful, beautiful stallion! Why did you step off that cliff when I got off of you to loot things from a stranger's body? Ohhhh, horse...I couldn't even bear to skin you, and sell your meat.

My package arrived yesterday from Amazon (both Red Dead and the Alan Wake Limited Edition), and both are simply spectacular.

Jesus Christ, this game. Awesome, in the dictionary sense of the word. The first ride through the desert during a sunset is breathtaking. The interactions with Bonnie MacFarlane do more in 10 minutes than most games do for their characters in six hours. I was just walking through Armadillo, and I heard gunfire. All the townsfolk started scattering, and some gang came riding through town, firing their guns into the air and dragging some poor bastard behind one of the horses.

This game seriously feels alive.   Favorite wilderness-moment so far:   Two guys chasing down one of the bad guys in the top hats. Shot the baddie in the leg, the other two lower their guns, and just let their horses trample him. They stop a few feet away, and then get off, just to spit on the guy's corpse.   That's just fucking cold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users