-

Photo
- - - - -

Is the Dell Zino HD powerful enough?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 Sykes

Sykes

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 03:23 PM

I've been an avid HTPC user for a while.  Right now I'm using a Dell XPS 420 as my HTPC.  Originally I purchased it because it was the cheapest CableCARD solution available, and I had dual ATI tuners along with a HD HomeRun.  Now, however, I have made the decision to ditch cable TV all-together, and as part of the process, I'd like to dump the huge tower that I was forced to use in favor of something smaller and more power-efficient.  I'm worried, however, that even with the X2 6850e processor, performance is going to be a bit anemic.  What do you guys think?  Some notes:
  • I'll mainly be viewing x264 content, largely in 1080p.
  • Hulu will be a primary source of video as well.
  • I'd like to be able to play Blu-ray on it in the future; however, I won't order it with that option.
  • I'd like for it to be able to handle recording from my HDHR (both tuners simultaneously) in the future if I ever decide to pay for cable again or hook up an antenna.
  • I won't be doing any transcoding or other processor-intensive actions--just playback.
Is that asking too much?  Or is the 6850e more powerful than I give it credit for?  Do I gain anything at all by upgrading to the ATI Radeon HD 4330 for the video card?

Thanks!

#2 of 2 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,265 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 30 2009 - 03:50 PM

I've tried to get a review unit but so far no luck.  Personally, if you are going to do this route I would not order it without BluRay FROM THE START.

Good luck!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt