What's new

Ellery Queen (Hutton) now on DVD (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
From our good friends at TVoDVD

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Ellery-Queen-DVDs-Planned/13043

This is great news if (a) it comes to pass and (b) care is put into this to ensure complete episodes, etc.

The Hutton Queen is generally regarded as a high quality series and one that didn't get its "due" when it was originally aired. It's been highly popular in the "collector" circles for years. Retro TV has put this into rotation over the past year or so which has raised awareness of this series.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I hope so too because it's also one of my top two unreleased altogether titles!

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
This is great news! I love this show. I wonder if NBC Universal is going to put it out or some other company.

"Match wits with Ellery Queen and see if you can guess whodunit!"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Awesome! I LOVED Jim Hutton as Ellery Queen.

Haven't seen the series since it originally aired (I was a teenager!). Wonder if it'll hold up for me?

Real Name
Håkan Andersson
Fantastic news! I never thought this would happen, thought the followers of this series was to few to raise any interest to release it.

I certainly hope they don't "forget" about the extra long pilot episode! And that the episodes will be complete, of course.

Dare we hope for some extra material? After the all, there are a lot of famous guest stars and at least some of them are still alive. Out of the regular cast, I think its only Ken Swofford and Tom Reese that are still alive.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Hakan Andersson

Dare we hope for some extra material? After the all, there are a lot of famous guest stars and at least some of them are still alive. Out of the regular cast, I think its only Ken Swofford and Tom Reese that are still alive.
John Hillerman, whose Simon Brimmer is practically the same character as his later Jonathan Higgins.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Hakan Andersson

Fantastic news! I never thought this would happen, thought the followers of this series was to few to raise any interest to release it.

I certainly hope they don't "forget" about the extra long pilot episode! And that the episodes will be complete, of course.

Two good extras would be the 1971 ELLERY QUEEN TV-Movie with Peter Lawford and Harry Morgan,and the MURDER SHE WROTE episode that was a reworking (via flash-backs)
of an unmade EQ Script!

DavidHAN

Agent
Originally Posted by DeWilson

Two good extras would be the 1971 ELLERY QUEEN TV-Movie with Peter Lawford and Harry Morgan,and the MURDER SHE WROTE episode that was a reworking (via flash-backs)
of an unmade EQ Script!
Oh my gosh, that would be awesome to have both of those as extras.
If only the suits thought that way.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The Murder She Wrote episode is already out on DVD so I don't think there's a need to put that on an EQ set.

DavidHAN

Agent
Originally Posted by Jack P

The Murder She Wrote episode is already out on DVD so I don't think there's a need to put that on an EQ set.
I'm guessing your talking about out on a Murder She Wrote DVD set, which I am not interested in, which, would be a good reason not to release it again, except that I am not interested in Murder She Wrote at all. But would be interested in seeing that one episode that had to do with Ellery Queen.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well it really in its final version doesn't have anything to do with EQ. Jessica narrates a story from the 40s in which yes, you can tell it was an EQ script originally but all the character names are changed to give us an original tale of a crossword puzzle sleuth "Christie" solving a shipboard murder for his police inspector father and Simon Brimmer has become radio mystery host "Cancler".

DavidHAN

Agent
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up for me. Having seen a few Murder She Wrote (didn't care for it), and very few Ellery Queen (but liking EQ, from what I remember anyway), the aforementioned episode sounded like it would make a good extra to include, but maybe not.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is wonderful news! My father and I loved this show. Watching it as a kid I remember that we would both discuss "whodunnit" over that last commercial break, before EQ would expose the villain.
I wasn't aware it was only on for one season. What a shame.

I hope this pans out, and I can relive those times again with my dad.

-Rodney

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, the good news is that we have an announcement of an August release from E1 on TV Shows On DVD. BUT and this is a giant BUT, the not-so-good news is that the timing of the set 1117 minutes makes it very clear that the pilot movie "Too Many Suspects" is not going to be in this set because 1117 minutes divided by 22 regular one hour episodes works out to 51 minutes per show which is normal and that leaves zero space in the timing for the pilot movie. I sincerely hope we get clarification on this because if the pilot is not included this will be a botched release on all levels.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I was doing the math and came up with the same thing, Jack. I hope the pilot is in there as well but by the running time of 1117 minutes, it's not possible. Maybe it will be included as a bonus episode. I also hope that all of the show intros with "Match wits with Ellery Queen and see if you can guess ...whodunit" will be included. Also, I hope they are not edited. I recently acquired a set of the show and the intro is missing from the pilot episode and I was frustrated. I'm sure that things will get clarified as time moves along.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, I'm not so much concerned with where its placed in the set as to whether or not these people will remember to include it at all. The pilot movie is not syndicated in the repeat package that has aired on A+E and Mystery Channel, and my biggest fear is always that the people who get these things won't even realize that there's supposed to be a pilot movie. Hopefully there is enough time to get them to correct things if in fact they have overlooked this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks