What's new

What resolution should I set my laptop when it is attached to my TV (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I have a 1080i TV. I have attached it to my TV via a HDMI cable. What resolution should it be set at? I have been playing around and have it at 1280x720. It seems OK, but the text is still blurry. Netflix looks great.
Thanks

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
1280x720 is exactly correct. In your computer, if by chance your computer is WindowsXP, go into Control Panel > Appearance and Themes > Display > Appearance tab > Effects button > and change the "font smoothing" setting to something else, until it looks good. (If it says Clear Type, change it to Standard. If it says Standard, change it to Clear Type. And try unchecking the smoothing entirely as well. 3 choices).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I have a 1080i TV.
Unless you have a direct view CRT or CRT-based rear projection set, you don't. While all HDTVs accept a 1080i signal, plasma, LCD, "LED", DLP and LCoS sets can't display an interlaced image. They are inherently progressive and only display their own actual native resolution. My 56" JVC LCoS RPTV displays everything at 720p, my 32" LCD displays everything at 768p and my uncle's Sony LCoS displays everything at 1080p. If the incoming signal doesn't match that resolution, the set rescales it. You need to find out what your TV's native resolution is and pick the closet match to that. (For technical reasons, "720p" LCD sets are always actually 768 pixels high which means they will reprocess even a 720p signal. For my HD cable box I find I get a better picture with SD signals by sending 480p to my LCD and letting it scale it from there, rather letting the cable box scale them to 720p and then running it through yet another processing step.)

Regards,

Joe

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Joe, I always love your answers. Actually, I do have a CRT HDTV. It is a "Mitsubishi Medallion HDTV 1080 Integrated." (Integrated????) It has 6 inch guns. The manual is a bit vague about the resolution. But, I think it says that using the digital input 1080i is the resolution that is supported.

Will, I am using Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I don't plan on using it for text anyways.But, thanks for the information.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
What resolution will your video card go up to? Have you tried increasing the resolution to a higher value like 1920 x 1080 or 1320 x 768 and see if that makes any difference or if your set can resolve a higher resolution?

Parker

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Those 6" guns can't handle 1080p, so if you can get 720p, that's probably your limit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't HD CRT's scale 720p to 1080i rather than displaying 720p natively? Perhaps that fuzziness is due to interlacing?

When I had a 53" Pioneer CRT (don't remember the size of the guns) I could only do 720 X 480p, and then only with the help of Powerstrip. The convergence board eventually broke (and it was only 5 years old at the time) and I always wondered if the hours of PC desktop display hastened it's demise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks