What's new

WHV Announcement: Clash of the Titans -and- The Neverending Story (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
I look forward to Warner's US release of Neverending Story (well, Clash of the Titans also). I do hope Warner has a new/different transfer than the one used on the Dutch Blu-ray release from last year. While the DFW release was not terrible, it is obviously from an older transfer with rather limited contrast and quite a bit of visible dirt. I'd be willing to double dip for a new master.

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
Keeping my fingers crossed that the release will include the longer German cut.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Boo! I was expecting Clash of the Titans to have much more bonus material. Basically a bare bones release except for the book.

Oh well.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Awesome news regarding The Neverending Story. I'm certainly not holding out hope that the German cut will be included, but the standard U.S. version of the movie will still be a welcome HD treat. The film has some really outstanding visuals and I can't wait to see it in HD.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
IMDB has detailed info on that. The gist: the German version is longer and has no Limahl song and Gorgio Moroder music (just the excellent Doldinger score).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Two Fantasy Films Make Their Blu-ray Debuts CLASH OF THE TITANS “Grand and glorious. Ray Harryhausen’s masterwork. -- Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times THE NEVERENDING STORY “A marvelously realized flight of pure fantasy.” -- Variety March 2 from Warner Home Video Burbank, CA – November 30, 2009 – Warner Home Video (WHV) will delight lovers of fantasy films with the March 2 Blu-ray releases of The NeverEnding Story and Clash of the Titans,which includes a sneak peek and exclusive photo booklet of the new Clash of the Titans movie. Debuting as a Blu-ray Book, Clash of the Titans is an exciting epic fantasy, filled with drama, passion and colorful stop motion animated creatures that will look more eye-popping than ever in spectacular Blu-ray. The last feature film from creative genius and special effects wizard, Ray Harryhausen, Clash of the Titans is the original motion picture adaptation of the myth of Perseus and his struggles to save the Princess Andromeda. WHV is releasing this edition just before the new Clash of the Titans due in theaters March 2010, which stars Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes and Sam Worthington (Avatar and Terminator Salvation), to be directed by Incredible Hulk’s Louis Leterrier. This fan boy favorite, dazzling in premium Blu-ray packaging, contains photos from the set, production notes and more. Movie cash to see the new theatrical film is also included. Relive the flight of pure fantasy that’s The NeverEnding Story now in spectacular Blu-ray. Based on the best-selling novel by Michael Ende and directed by Wolfgang Peterson (Troy, The Perfect Storm), The NeverEnding Story is as enjoyable for adults as it is for children with its tale of a young daydreamer who, drawn into a timeless and wondrous world of fantastic beings through the pages of a mysterious book, discovers how his imagination and belief can save it from destruction. The film’s Blu-ray debut will further intensify the visually stunning inventive special effects and the colorful characters of Fantasia like never before. Clash of the Titans Blu-ray Book will sell for $34.99 SRP. The film will also be available as a Standard DVD for $14.97 SRP. The NeverEnding Story will sell for $28.99 SRP. Orders for all are due January 26, 2010. About the Films Clash of the Titans Though special effects techniques today have been dramatically transformed by CGI, the highly-imaginative and incredibly detailed work by Ray Harryhausen in his legendary films continues to hold audiences spellbound today. Now, even more so on Blu-ray. A disciple of stop-motion pioneer Willis O’Brien (King Kong), Harryhausen adapted the techniques O’Brien developed and created his own genre of film from the 1950s to the 1980s utilizing his own stop-motion animation process eventually identified as “Dynamation,” which makes small, well-articulated models come to life by photographing them one frame at a time and then moving them slightly between exposures. Besides Clash of the Titans, some of his memorable special/visual effects films include The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953), It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955), The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958), Jason and the Argonauts (1963), One Million Years, B.C. (1966),The Valley of Gwangi (1969), and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974). The machinations of the gods above and the fates of man and monsters on earth play out in a Clash of the Titans. Harry Hamlin stars as the brave Perseus, mortal son of Zeus (Laurence Olivier), who sets out to fulfill his destiny by rescuing his beloved Andromeda from the wrath of the goddess Thetis (Maggie Smith). Perils await Perseus time and again, as he faces snake-haired Medusa, fearsome Kraken, winged Pegasus, two-headed dog Dioskilos, giant scorpions and more. Special Features:
  • Interviews: A Conversation with Ray Harryhausen
  • Myths and Monsters (in map form on DVD and gallery on Blu-ray)
The NeverEnding Story A dreamy young boy discovers an extraordinary storybook and the fantastical world within its pages. Director Wolfgang Peterson’s (Outbreak, In the Line of Fire) first English language film, Roger Ebert called The NeverEnding Story “a real delight!” This $30 million family fantasy/adventure epic is based on the acclaimed best-seller about a boy who is drawn into a timeless and wondrous world of fantastic beings that only he can save from total destruction. Special Features:
  • No special features
Clash of the Titans Blu-ray Book Street Date: March 2, 2010 Order Due Date: January 26, 2010 Catalog #: 1000116170; [COLOR= black]Pricing: $34.99 SRP[/COLOR] SD Catalog #: 1000115023; Pricing $14.97 SRP Rated PG The NeverEnding Story Blu-ray Street Date: March 2, 2010 Order Due Date: January 26, 2010 Catalog #: 1000118183 Run Time: 91 Minutes Rated PG 28.99 SRP

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
NeverEnding Story is a childhood favorite of mine and I still consider it one of the best fantasy films ever made. Bring on the Blu-ray!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Will buy!
Just one remark: if they bring The NeverEnding Story on BD, they should include The NeverEndingStory II. (Otherwise the sequel may never arrive on the medium, I'm afraid.)

Cees

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
While I loved these as a kid, I'm not a kid anymore and cannot stand the cheesy effects, just can't buy old films like these, too difficult to watch.

But, the new Clash, that will be a purchase for sure.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I'll have to pick up Clash of the Titans. Gotta love Ray Harryhausen's brilliant animation.

Doug

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich /forum/thread/295422/whv-announceme...nd-the-neverending-story-blu-ray#post_3655518

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ron-P

While I loved these as a kid, I'm not a kid anymore and cannot stand the cheesy effects, just can't buy old films like these, too difficult to watch.

But, the new Clash, that will be a purchase for sure.

Retreads like the new "Clash of The Titans" wouldn't even be possible if it wasn't for these old films and their "cheesy" effects that showed what was possible on film, . It's a good thing that the powers-that-be at film studios don't share your attitude towards films like these, because there would be a lot of film history turning to dust right about now.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

I pulled the trigger on both of these today at Amazon. Not sure how much better the price will get for either of them.
Looking at the price history for Clash, I gotta believe the prices will improve after they've been released a couple of months. It's $28 right now.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Picked up an early copy of the NeverEnding Story BD - I didn't mind paying the $24.99 premium for it but it kills me that there could be a longer version out there and a less than likely chance we'll ever see it. Also, what's with the total lack of extras - not even the trailer was included! PQ was great (for the most part). I'm happy this was given the hi-def treatment. Audio is awesome, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks