Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Clash of the Titans -and- The Neverending Story (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,298 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 09:04 AM

Posted Image 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 35 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,015 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 12:23 PM

I look forward to Warner's US release of Neverending Story (well, Clash of the Titans also).  I do hope Warner has a new/different transfer than the one used on the Dutch Blu-ray release from last year.  While the DFW release was not terrible, it is obviously from an older transfer with rather limited contrast and quite a bit of visible dirt.  I'd be willing to double dip for a new master.

#3 of 35 OFFLINE   Thomas Agermose

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 08:12 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed that the release will include the longer German cut.

#4 of 35 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted December 01 2009 - 02:14 AM

I didn't expect Clash of The Titans to get the Blu-Ray book treatment.

#5 of 35 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,160 posts

Posted December 01 2009 - 04:42 AM

Boo!  I was expecting Clash of the Titans to have much more bonus material.  Basically a bare bones release except for the book.

Oh well.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#6 of 35 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted December 01 2009 - 06:30 AM

Awesome news regarding The Neverending Story.  I'm certainly not holding out hope that the German cut will be included, but the standard U.S. version of the movie will still be a welcome HD treat.  The film has some really outstanding visuals and I can't wait to see it in HD.  

#7 of 35 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted December 01 2009 - 11:26 PM

what is the difference between the US and German version?
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#8 of 35 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 07:42 AM

IMDB has detailed info on that. The gist: the German version is longer and has no Limahl song and Gorgio Moroder music (just the excellent Doldinger score).

#9 of 35 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,298 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 12:49 PM

Two Fantasy Films Make Their Blu-ray Debuts

CLASH OF THE TITANS

“Grand and glorious. Ray Harryhausen’s masterwork.

-- Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

THE NEVERENDING STORY

“A marvelously realized flight of pure fantasy.”

-- Variety

March 2 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, CA – November 30, 2009 – Warner Home Video (WHV) will delight lovers of fantasy films with the March 2 Blu-ray releases of The NeverEnding Story and Clash of the Titans,which includes a sneak peek and exclusive photo booklet of the new Clash of the Titans movie.

Debuting as a Blu-ray Book, Clash of the Titans is an exciting epic fantasy, filled with drama, passion and colorful stop motion animated creatures that will look more eye-popping than ever in spectacular Blu-ray. The last feature film from creative genius and special effects wizard, Ray Harryhausen, Clash of the Titans is the original motion picture adaptation of the myth of Perseus and his struggles to save the Princess Andromeda.  WHV is releasing this edition just before the new Clash of the Titans due in theaters March 2010, which stars Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes and Sam Worthington (Avatar and Terminator Salvation), to be directed by Incredible Hulk’s Louis Leterrier.  This fan boy favorite, dazzling in premium Blu-ray packaging, contains photos from the set, production notes and more.  Movie cash to see the new theatrical film is also included.  

Relive the flight of pure fantasy that’s The NeverEnding Story now in spectacular Blu-ray. Based on the best-selling novel by Michael Ende and directed by Wolfgang Peterson (Troy, The Perfect Storm), The NeverEnding Story is as enjoyable for adults as it is for children with its tale of a young daydreamer who, drawn into a timeless and wondrous world of fantastic beings through the pages of a mysterious book, discovers how his imagination and belief can save it from destruction.  The film’s Blu-ray debut will further intensify the visually stunning inventive special effects and the colorful characters of Fantasia like never before.  

Clash of the Titans Blu-ray Book will sell for $34.99 SRP. The film will also be available as a Standard DVD for $14.97 SRP. The NeverEnding Story will sell for $28.99 SRP. Orders for all are due January 26, 2010. 

About the Films

Clash of the Titans

Though special effects techniques today have been dramatically transformed by CGI, the highly-imaginative and incredibly detailed work by Ray Harryhausen in his legendary films continues to hold audiences spellbound today.  Now, even more so on Blu-ray. A disciple of stop-motion pioneer Willis O’Brien (King Kong), Harryhausen adapted the techniques O’Brien developed and created his own genre of film from the 1950s to the 1980s utilizing his own stop-motion animation process eventually identified as “Dynamation,” which makes small, well-articulated models come to life by photographing them one frame at a time and then moving them slightly between exposures.  Besides Clash of the Titans, some of his memorable special/visual effects films include The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953), It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955), The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958), Jason and the Argonauts (1963), One Million Years, B.C. (1966),The Valley of Gwangi (1969), and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974).

The machinations of the gods above and the fates of man and monsters on earth play out in a Clash of the Titans. Harry Hamlin stars as the brave Perseus, mortal son of Zeus (Laurence Olivier), who sets out to fulfill his destiny by rescuing his beloved Andromeda from the wrath of the goddess Thetis (Maggie Smith). Perils await Perseus time and again, as he faces snake-haired Medusa, fearsome Kraken, winged Pegasus, two-headed dog Dioskilos, giant scorpions and more.

Special Features:

• Interviews: A Conversation with Ray Harryhausen
  • Myths and Monsters (in map form on DVD and gallery on Blu-ray)

The NeverEnding Story

A dreamy young boy discovers an extraordinary storybook and the fantastical world within its pages. Director Wolfgang Peterson’s (OutbreakIn the Line of Fire) first English language film, Roger Ebert called The NeverEnding Story “a real delight!” This $30 million family fantasy/adventure epic is based on the acclaimed best-seller about a boy who is drawn into a timeless and wondrous world of fantastic beings that only he can save from total destruction.

Special Features:

• No special features

Clash of the Titans Blu-ray Book

Street Date: March 2, 2010

Order Due Date: January 26, 2010

Catalog #: 1000116170; Pricing: $34.99 SRP

SD Catalog #: 1000115023; Pricing $14.97 SRP

Rated PG

The NeverEnding Story Blu-ray

Street Date: March 2, 2010

Order Due Date: January 26, 2010

Catalog #: 1000118183

Run Time: 91 Minutes

Rated PG

28.99 SRP

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#10 of 35 OFFLINE   Thomas Agermose

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 06:55 PM

"No special features" is now a special feature. Thanks Warner.

#11 of 35 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted January 13 2010 - 12:53 AM

NeverEnding Story is a childhood favorite of mine and I still consider it one of the best fantasy films ever made. Bring on the Blu-ray!

#12 of 35 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 19,022 posts

Posted January 16 2010 - 09:11 AM

Will buy! Just one remark: if they bring The NeverEnding Story on BD, they should include The NeverEndingStory II. (Otherwise the sequel may never arrive on the medium, I'm afraid.) Cees

#13 of 35 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,164 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 29 2010 - 06:59 AM

I pulled the trigger on both of these today at Amazon.  Not sure how much better the price will get for either of them.

#14 of 35 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted January 29 2010 - 06:36 PM

While I loved these as a kid, I'm not a kid anymore and cannot stand the cheesy effects, just can't buy old films like these, too difficult to watch.

But, the new Clash, that will be a purchase for sure.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#15 of 35 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted January 29 2010 - 06:42 PM

I'll have to pick up Clash of the Titans. Gotta love Ray Harryhausen's brilliant animation.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#16 of 35 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,164 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 30 2010 - 04:38 AM

Quote:
While I loved these as a kid, I'm not a kid anymore
Not even for two hours?

#17 of 35 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,481 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 30 2010 - 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich [url=/forum/thread/295422/whv-announcement-clash-of-the-titans-and-the-neverending-story-blu-ray#post_3655518]

#18 of 35 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,878 posts

Posted January 30 2010 - 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ron-P 

While I loved these as a kid, I'm not a kid anymore and cannot stand the cheesy effects, just can't buy old films like these, too difficult to watch.

But, the new Clash, that will be a purchase for sure.

Retreads like the new "Clash of The Titans" wouldn't even be possible if it wasn't for these old films and their "cheesy" effects that showed what was possible on film, . It's a good thing that the powers-that-be at film studios don't share your attitude towards films like these, because there would be a lot of film history turning to dust right about now.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#19 of 35 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,634 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted January 30 2010 - 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

I pulled the trigger on both of these today at Amazon.  Not sure how much better the price will get for either of them.
Looking at the price history for Clash, I gotta believe the prices will improve after they've been released a couple of months.  It's $28 right now.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#20 of 35 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted February 26 2010 - 01:01 AM

Picked up an early copy of the NeverEnding Story BD - I didn't mind paying the $24.99 premium for it but it kills me that there could be a longer version out there and a less than likely chance we'll ever see it. Also, what's with the total lack of extras - not even the trailer was included! PQ was great (for the most part). I'm happy this was given the hi-def treatment. Audio is awesome, too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users