Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Price of a "large" popcorn at your theater?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Cory Pals

Cory Pals

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 03:34 PM

So I take my wife out for her birthday this weekend and we do the dinner and a movie thing.  The dinner was great and we had to kill a little time between that and the movie.  when we go we usually get a large Popcorn and a couple of pops to snack on during the movie.

Until we saw the price of the snacks....

$5.20 for a large pop ($4.80 for a medium pop) and $7.85 for a large bag of popcorn.

And the bag wasn't even really that large.

To make matter worse the place had signs up for their "package deals" in the middle of the lobby, at the main concession stands and at their "side" concession stands and the prices were different at each place.  We were still full from dinner and while popcorn would have been nice and something to chew on, we passed.

I know that theater make their money at the concession stands, but..... $7.85?  Really?

My question is this:  How much is popcorn at your theater?  And do you think it is to much?

Cory

10/15/2003- Mr. Tony read my e-mail on the Tony Kornheiser Show!
12/29/2009- Mr. Tony read my e-mail on the Tony Kornheiser Show!

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 11:16 PM

Large popcorn at my theater is $6.75. Large drink is $5.50. Ridiculous!
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 30 2009 - 01:26 AM

We were at our local Regal Cinema this weekend to see The Blindside.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

Large popcorn = $6.00.  Large soda = $5.75 ($4  = small soda).  /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsdown.gif  

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 40 ONLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 03:28 AM

At Regal, $8 for a tub of popcorn.

At AMC, $7.50 for a "large" bag of popcorn

Free refills from each theater chain on the large size popcorn and drinks.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 04:43 AM

I don't know, but it's about 20 cents a bag at the grocery store.

Is it that hard to go 2 hours without eating?

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,674 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 30 2009 - 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood 

I don't know, but it's about 20 cents a bag at the grocery store.

Is it that hard to go 2 hours without eating?
I doubt it's a question of having to eat. With me, it's more of the "theater experience" whether I'm hungry or not. As with Mike, I don't get to the theater that often, so I'm willing to pay for the experience once in a while. I think that's the case with most people as the majority of people in the theater usually have purchased food of some kind.

I just went yesterday (to see 2012 ) and got the medium soda/popcorn for about +/- $9. I think that worked out to about $5.50 for the popcorn (a pretty large bag) and $3.50 for the soda (32 oz). I think the large bucket of popcorn is about $6.50. This is the cheaper theater in the region and offers the best quality food, too, IMO (all independents, we have no chains in this area). The other major theater in the area is about $1 more on everything.  I went to a Regal Cinema when visiting a friend out of state in October and was astounded at the food prices. I think I got the small popcorn/soda combo and it was nearly $10.

I don't so much mind the popcorn prices for some reason, but it's the soda prices that really grind my gears. Charging $5 for a cup that contains about a penny's worth of water and maybe 10 cents worth of syrup is completely ridiculous. I worked at Burger King as a youth and recall the manager saying how soda was the biggest profit driver in the restaurant as it cost just pennies a cup and we sold it for well over $1 at that time.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,269 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 30 2009 - 07:22 AM

Similar here. I typically get a small popcorn for about $5.50 and a med soda for $4.50. My mental figure is it's $30 to go to the movie with my wife.

If you want more reasonable concessions pricing, you need to get studios to share more ticket revenue with the theater. Conventional wisdom is that significant portion of the theaters profits from from concessions. Most of the ticket sales go to the studios.

Or you can go to the 2nd-run theater, where tickets are $2, so you're paying almost solely for snacks.

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted December 01 2009 - 03:01 AM

The price of snacks at the theater really make it difficult to want to even go at all. I have two young boys and for tickets, drinks, and popcorn we are over $50. I really like to take them but I wish it was more affordable.
The Legend is better than reality!

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 01 2009 - 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt^Brown 

The price of snacks at the theater really make it difficult to want to even go at all. I have two young boys and for tickets, drinks, and popcorn we are over $50. I really like to take them but I wish it was more affordable.
And that is one of the reasons I keep giving my wife for buying movies on disc for home viewing. 

"Think of the money we're saving!"  /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted December 01 2009 - 09:28 AM

'Snacks are optional!"

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted December 01 2009 - 09:00 PM

I, personally, don't have a major issue in dropping $9 for snacks at the movie, but what floored me was this family of four in front of me recently (and the kids were quite young) dropped over $80 on snacks!  When my four go the only additional cost is my wife's soda and the difference of a large popcorn - $9 to $15.  The kids prefer juice so we bring our own (no one complains about their water bottles) and we all share the popcorn.

$80!  A bet dinner rarely costs that much for them.

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 12:00 PM

For $5/drink I should be able to get Sam Adams at the multiplex
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted December 02 2009 - 02:41 PM

While the price of snacks at the theater is quite high, the bigger problem I have is that I can't remember the last time theater popcorn tasted good. It has been mediocre at best for years.

No real butter, often times popped and bagged well ahead of time, it is just crap. If I am going to pay a premium price I want the quality to reflect that...sadly it doesn't.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,269 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 02 2009 - 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker 

No real butter, often times popped and bagged well ahead of time, it is just crap. If I am going to pay a premium price I want the quality to reflect that...sadly it doesn't.

-Keith
A big city thing? Our popcorn is popped fresh; never pre-bagged. If the theater is slow, it might have been popped some time before and sitting in popper. But it's not mass popped and pre-bagged in the morning, or such.

I like the "butter". But I made the mistake recently of forgetting to ask for it. My wife, tasting the popcorn commented that it seemed different. I noted the lack of oil. She exclaimed how much better it tasted. So now, every other movie I have to get butter-less popcorn! /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 04:49 PM

Referring to the squirt they put on popcorn as butter is stretching the definition.  The theatre in my town would charge an extra dollar if a person wanted real butter, instead of recycled axle oil. Okay, I'm kidding about the axle oil but not by much. Where I'm at, a medium drink and a bag of dried out popcorn is about 10 dollars. Extra axle oil is 50 cents.

One time, the axle oil was rancid. A small bag of popcorn was four bucks and I couldn't believe how many people wouldn't take the stuff back and complain. They were just throwing it on the floor. There was greasy popcorn everywhere. I actually took it back and told them I wanted my four bucks back. They actually tried to exchange it for a new bag. I had to tell them I wasn't interested in another bag of disgusting tasting rancid popcorn before they finally coughed up the cash.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 07:50 PM

In Tucson we had a theater that actually allowed people to bring in outside food. People use to bring in pizza, burgers, falafels.... you name it. We use to go and bring our own popcorn and drinks, but never a full meal.

We rarely go to movies anymore just due to prices being so high now ($8.75 for tickets not to mention cost of snacks). I think I heard that the prices for tickets are going up to $9.25 next year, so that will make it even more of a reason to get a better home theater.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 03 2009 - 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia Duran 

We rarely go to movies anymore just due to prices being so high now ($8.75 for tickets not to mention cost of snacks). I think I heard that the prices for tickets are going up to $9.25 next year, so that will make it even more of a reason to get a better home theater.
$8.75 for a movie ticket...heck, even $9.25...would be considered a bargain in some areas Lucia.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,183 posts

Posted December 03 2009 - 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia Duran View Post

That's the reason why I don't go anymore. I can remember when a movie ticket was at most, $6. 

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,064 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted December 03 2009 - 05:14 AM

Here a large popcorn is $5-6 dollars and a large drink is $4.50. At least admission is still $5.50 although I have a feeling that will go up soon.

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted December 04 2009 - 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ">

$8.75 for a movie ticket...heck, even $9.25...would be considered a bargain in some areas Lucia.  <br /></span>
<br />
 </div></div>
Goodness, what are you paying for tickets in your area? <br />

<br />

</div>

<div class=
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON