Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help with antenna

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   kyle-sm

kyle-sm

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 11:13 AM

Hi folks,

Here is the deal.  I don’t want to pay for cable but would like as many free channels as I can get via antenna.  If I can get any sports (or anything else) in HD, that would be sweet!

Details:

TV – Panasonic TC-23LX60 http://reviews.cnet....7-31961094.html

My residence – I live in a home that has been split into 4 apartments.  I could either put a massive antenna in my closet near the TV (depending on the size of it) or right outside the window that the TV is near. 

Surrounding Terrain – I’m in Ann Arbor Michigan which is pretty much 100% flat

The read out from www.antennaweb.org is this:

http://static.hometh...reception.jpg">

Thank you for any assistance you can provide,

Kyle

Sharp Projector PG-C30XU
Dell HTPC in the making
Yamaha 6"3-Way Bass Reflex Tower Speakers
Yamaha 8" 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers
Infinity Entra Center Channel SpeakerHarman Kardon HK 12 SubOnkyo TX-SR500 Reciever

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,879 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 30 2009 - 05:36 AM

Most of the Detroit stations are actually located in Southfield, so you should be able to pull those in if you can reach the Toledo stations. Antennaweb.org should give you antenna type recommendations based on your distance to the stations. Radio Shack used to sell a variety of antennas, but it's been a few years since I looked into this. I've been using cable for HDTV for several years, but used to get the Southfield HDTV station broadcasts using a simple Radio Shack double bowtie UHF indoor antenna before Comcast started offering HD service. I'm in Plymouth, approximately 15 miles east of Ann Arbor. I doubt an indoor antenna would work from Ann Arbor, though, as it was marginal from Plymouth. You will probably need something outdoors with a rotor and amplifier.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   kyle-sm

kyle-sm

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted December 01 2009 - 09:34 AM

www.antennaweb.org doesn't tell me what antenna to buy, just what type.  Sound like I need one like this www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B001BRXW74/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1

Then I'm good to go?  Do I just hook it directly into my TV or am I going to need some additional hardware?  Does anyone think there is a better antenna out there?  Or even one that is better for the price?  This sucker is $108.

Sharp Projector PG-C30XU
Dell HTPC in the making
Yamaha 6"3-Way Bass Reflex Tower Speakers
Yamaha 8" 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers
Infinity Entra Center Channel SpeakerHarman Kardon HK 12 SubOnkyo TX-SR500 Reciever

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,879 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 02 2009 - 12:00 AM

According to the link you provided for the TV, the 23-inch model you are purchasing does not include a built-in HDTV tuner, so you will need an external tuner in order to receive HDTV broadcast signals. The link states that the 26-inch and 32-inch models have built-in HDTV tuners.

Personally, if you have not already purchased the TV, I would look for something with a built-in HD tuner. For over the air, you need a ATSC tuner. For non-scrambled cable TV HD, you need a QAM tuner.  Many newer models have both tuner types built-in.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,589 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 02:36 AM

Taking a look at the TV link, it says the TV is a 2006 model. Not surprising it doesn't have a tuner.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users