Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How can I tell if my notebook has digital audio out?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted November 27 2009 - 03:17 AM

I just bought a HP Pavilion dv6-1253cl Notebook. It is labeled as an "Entertainment Notebook PC" and has a blu-ray drive. It has a DVI output as well. I know that it works on my TV just fine. My reciever only has digital optical input and digital cable input. No DVI or HDMI. (It is a 5 year old Onkyo HTiB 6.1 hahaha) I have checked HPs website for this information and found no real answer. Just something about "ALTEC Lansing" sound. Then, I called their customer support line. They couldn't answer my question either. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can answer my question?  I have seen the adaptors that MACs have to make the headphone out into optical out, but before I buy one of those, I would like to know if it is worthwhile. Thanks.....

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts

Posted November 27 2009 - 08:19 AM

It would appear from this that you do have digital out- coax if I am not mistaken.   http://h10025.www1.h...product=3966278

I don't believe the apple minijack will work for you though.  I think all you need is to order a mini 1/8" to RCA coax cable from out good friends at Bluejeans Cable;  http://www.bluejeans...dio/index.htm.  You could probably find a converter jack a bit cheaper at Radio Shack if you just want to test the theory first.

The link above should give you the info you need to go into your settings and set the output for digital.  That should do it.   Just don't forget you did it or else you will be posting again that your internal speakers are no longer working!  :)

I have tried with my own system with no luck.  But my system is from a 3rd-rate company; (ZT Systems) and I will NEVER do that again.  It is still possible that you will have spent $25 for nothing.   Older systems are MUCH less accommodating to Home Theater enthusiasts...   newer ones are barely better.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted November 28 2009 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the info. I will give it a shot.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,196 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted December 09 2009 - 07:56 AM

Something else to look into is a splitter that you can plug your DVI/HDMI out from your laptop into and split it to HDMI and RCA digital out. Surfing the net I found several examples.

I have tried using the audio outs from both a desktop and a laptop that is supposed to be a S/PDIF out and never was able to get it to work with my receiver.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users