What's new

How can I tell if my notebook has digital audio out? (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I just bought a HP Pavilion dv6-1253cl Notebook. It is labeled as an "Entertainment Notebook PC" and has a blu-ray drive. It has a DVI output as well. I know that it works on my TV just fine. My reciever only has digital optical input and digital cable input. No DVI or HDMI. (It is a 5 year old Onkyo HTiB 6.1 hahaha) I have checked HPs website for this information and found no real answer. Just something about "ALTEC Lansing" sound. Then, I called their customer support line. They couldn't answer my question either. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can answer my question? I have seen the adaptors that MACs have to make the headphone out into optical out, but before I buy one of those, I would like to know if it is worthwhile.
Thanks.....

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
It would appear from this that you do have digital out- coax if I am not mistaken. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01912228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3966278

I don't believe the apple minijack will work for you though. I think all you need is to order a mini 1/8" to RCA coax cable from out good friends at Bluejeans Cable; http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm. You could probably find a converter jack a bit cheaper at Radio Shack if you just want to test the theory first.

The link above should give you the info you need to go into your settings and set the output for digital. That should do it. Just don't forget you did it or else you will be posting again that your internal speakers are no longer working! :)

I have tried with my own system with no luck. But my system is from a 3rd-rate company; (ZT Systems) and I will NEVER do that again. It is still possible that you will have spent $25 for nothing. Older systems are MUCH less accommodating to Home Theater enthusiasts... newer ones are barely better.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Something else to look into is a splitter that you can plug your DVI/HDMI out from your laptop into and split it to HDMI and RCA digital out. Surfing the net I found several examples.

I have tried using the audio outs from both a desktop and a laptop that is supposed to be a S/PDIF out and never was able to get it to work with my receiver.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks