What's new

Quick question for Sound Barrier Help (1 Viewer)

Sparks

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Just a quick question for you guys who have possibly used this.... I am almost done with wiring and about to put up the sheet-rock. I am trying to see what would be better to use for sound deadening the room. I have seen a product at Home Depot that a salesperson showed me that is supposed to deaden the sound tremendously, and I am wondering if anyone has used it.

It is a Fiber board material 1/2" Thick. I had planned on putting up Double Sheetrock, but am wondering if this would be better to use as one of the layers. I just want to quieten the sound from going upstairs. I am not worried about totally stopping it because I know that would be hard. I plan on putting insulation inbetween the joists first, and then the 2 layers of sheetrock or whatever.

Thanks for any advice.

Brutusab

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
The Fiber board will work, but it is probably more expensive. If you are doing double drywall, i would put spacers between the two sheets, it works much better. Another suggestion is using RC channel. This is placed on either the studs horizontally or on the first sheet of drywall. By doing this, it will be somewhat like having a Stagered stud wall. This is good for walls shared with the rest of the house.

wiredawg

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Cornett
Do a google search for green glue. Everything I have read indicates it is the best option if you are using 2 layers of sheetrock. It seems to dampen vibrations so they don't transfer to the second sheet.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
I don't know if this post comes too late, but when I built my theater, I used Roxul mineral wool insulation (4" thick in the ceiling and 3" thick in the interior wall), and I think it does a great job. In fact, the only reason I hear anything upstairs is because of sound carried by the HVAC ducts. Obviously, if you crank the volume, bass is still going to travel through the rest of the house, but that's where something like a Z-channel or RC channel or "room within a room" comes in.

Here's a picture of the Roxul insulation I'm talking about. I ended up ordering it from a local building-supply company, as I was unable to find it at Menards, Home Depot, etc.

Ted White

Agent
The fiberboard materials really don't add / do much. They are too dense to adequately decouple, and are also too dense to provide much absorption.

Mineral fiber will perform as well as standard fiberglass in a wall or ceiling cavity.

Not advisable at all to introduce spacers between drywall. We only want one air cavity. Never two.

Best to decouple with framing (staggered or double stud), simple R13 fiberglass in a wall, double 5/8" drywall and then damp the drywall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks