What's new

Blu-ray disc prices falling? Not if THIS is any indication... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY Blu-ray retail price: $40.99. Who does Paramount think it is, Disney or someone?

Anyway, I thought the studios were bringing retail prices down in order to get the format into high gear. Guess a couple of studios hadn't heard that. I'll wait for a $20. copy on Amazon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When all is said and done, I think you'll be able to pick this release up for less than $20.00

Crawdaddy

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
In this one instance, you may want to consider the standard DVD instead. The film is a bit like "28 Days Later" in that it was shot on a camcorder, and 1080P isn't going to help a whole lot. The soundtrack is also pretty dialogue centric, so a lossless track isn't going to be very important either. Something you may want to consider.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Chad R

In this one instance, you may want to consider the standard DVD instead. The film is a bit like "28 Days Later" in that it was shot on a camcorder, and 1080P isn't going to help a whole lot. The soundtrack is also pretty dialogue centric, so a lossless track isn't going to be very important either. Something you may want to consider.
It won't hurt either.
I see no point in purchasing a dvd when the same movie will be on blu.

Making a film look great isn't the only thing blu can do It also is able to provide a representation of a movie that is as close to possible to looking the way it was filmed or at least appeared on the big screen.

I can't imagine the dvd will do that as well as the blu-ray

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
True, Tony. But this isn't a big Hollywood film. It wasn't shot on 35mm or the Red Camera -- it was shot on consumer grade video. So, in this instance DVD will represent that just fine.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious as to how the transfer will be.

The DVD of BLAIR WITCH was always done wrong, shot on video, transferred to 35mm, and the DVD was transferred from that 35mm making it look pretty terrible. On cable it was usually shown directly from that video, looking a lot better.

PARANORMAL looked pretty good in 35 in theatres, but should look a lot better on DVD and Blu-Ray if they go directly from the video source.

It was shot on a Sony FX1 which is a 1080i HD camcorder so it could be look good on Blu-Ray.

But since the entire film cost $11,558 to make, a $40 Blu-Ray is kind of funny. They only need to sell 300 to make back the film's budget.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just a note that Amazon has the MSRP of "Paranormal Activity" at 48.99 so something is definitely wrong with the pricing on this title. More to follow, I'm sure.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks