Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blu-ray disc prices falling? Not if THIS is any indication...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,966 posts

Posted November 25 2009 - 11:13 PM

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY Blu-ray retail price: $40.99. Who does Paramount think it is, Disney or someone?

Anyway, I thought the studios were bringing retail prices down in order to get the format into high gear. Guess a couple of studios hadn't heard that. I'll wait for a $20. copy on Amazon.

#2 of 7 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,116 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 26 2009 - 12:16 AM

When all is said and done, I think you'll be able to pick this release up for less than $20.00

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 7 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted November 26 2009 - 01:05 AM

In this one instance, you may want to consider the standard DVD instead. The film is a bit like "28 Days Later" in that it was shot on a camcorder, and 1080P isn't going to help a whole lot. The soundtrack is also pretty dialogue centric, so a lossless track isn't going to be very important either. Something you may want to consider.

#4 of 7 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,993 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 26 2009 - 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad R 

In this one instance, you may want to consider the standard DVD instead. The film is a bit like "28 Days Later" in that it was shot on a camcorder, and 1080P isn't going to help a whole lot. The soundtrack is also pretty dialogue centric, so a lossless track isn't going to be very important either. Something you may want to consider.
It won't hurt either.
I see no point in purchasing a dvd when the same movie will be on blu.

Making a film look great isn't the only thing blu can do It also is able to provide a representation of a movie that is as close to possible to looking the way it was filmed or at least appeared on the big screen.

I can't imagine the dvd will do that as well as the blu-ray

facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 7 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted November 26 2009 - 11:57 PM

True, Tony. But this isn't a big Hollywood film. It wasn't shot on 35mm or the Red Camera -- it was shot on consumer grade video. So, in this instance DVD will represent that just fine.

#6 of 7 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted November 27 2009 - 02:37 AM

I'm curious as to how the transfer will be.

The DVD of BLAIR WITCH was always done wrong, shot on video, transferred to 35mm, and the DVD was transferred from that 35mm making it look pretty terrible.  On cable it was usually shown directly from that video, looking a lot better.

PARANORMAL looked pretty good in 35 in theatres, but should look a lot better on DVD and Blu-Ray if they go directly from the video source. 

It was shot on a Sony FX1 which is a 1080i HD camcorder so it could be look good on Blu-Ray.

But since the entire film cost $11,558 to make, a $40 Blu-Ray is kind of funny.  They only need to sell 300 to make back the film's budget.

#7 of 7 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,116 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 27 2009 - 04:06 AM

Just a note that Amazon has the MSRP of "Paranormal Activity" at 48.99 so something is definitely wrong with the pricing on this title.  More to follow, I'm sure.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users