Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD REVIEW: Terminator Salvation

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 25 2009 - 03:43 AM

http://static.hometh...i9GWomRlL.jpg">

Terminator Salvation

Directed By: McG

Starring: Christian Bale, Sam Worthington, Moon Bloodgood, Helena Bonham Carter, Anton Yelchin, Jadagrace Berry, Bryce Dallas Howard, Common, Jane Alexander, Michael Ironside

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#2 of 9 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,529 posts

Posted November 25 2009 - 04:17 AM

Ouch. I remember leaving the theater a little deflated from disappointment, but didn't 'hate' the film as so many others seemed to. Your review was pretty spot on, I must just be more forgiving. I have this preordered on Blu-ray, so I am hoping the issues you note are not found there also!

Thanks for the review, Ken! 
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#3 of 9 Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted November 25 2009 - 04:32 AM

Just in case you want to see the differences between the theatrical version and the so-called Director's Cut, which is only featured on the Blu-ray, check this site out: http://movie-censors....php?ID=4991440

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#4 of 9 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,964 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 25 2009 - 02:33 PM

A bd live event with the director on dec 5th.
http://wblive.warnerbros.com/pubLCS_signup/signup.html?eventId=2862607

facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 9 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 30 2009 - 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden View Post
.... Warner is not even making the Director's Cut of the film available in SD DVD, so this bare bones release (and a separate 4:3 full frame release) are the only viewing options for those not equipped for blu-ray high definition.

Not exactly true as it turns out.  The Director's Cut on SD DVD is being made available as a Target exclusive release.  This release was not made available for review.

Regards,

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#6 of 9 Porfirio

Porfirio

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 04:25 AM

The 2-Disc Director's Cut Special Edition DVD was made available in Canada as a standard release.

#7 of 9 JimKr

JimKr

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 04:25 AM

You have to assume sooner or later the major players will begin making dvds less desirable to facilitate the switch to Bluray.

Possibly it is beginning?

Note: Perhaps I am easily pleased visually but I have noticed over the last 3 years or so that DVD video quality in general had increased so much that I seldom bother renting or buying a Bluray movie simply because there always the chance my player won't play it properly (well documented in the AVS forum thread for my Sammy player) or it simply takes ages to load, whereas I could get the DVD version and pop it in the player and be watching the movie in no time.

And yes, I enjoy a good conspiracy theory from time to time!

#8 of 9 Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,304 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted December 04 2009 - 02:17 PM

Good review of a total let-down of a flick.  Terrible movie.  Makes me angry actually.  Here's a better plot:

Bale is heard but not seen in the first film.  He is a voice on the radio convincing humans to fight the good fight -- to storm the wire of the camps and smash those metal mothertruckers into junk.  Reese escapes and begins to search for Connor.  Marcus is looking, too.  Reese and Marcus join forces to find the leader of the resistance.  Marcus and Reese hide from HKs, teach others to fight against rubber-skinned terminators.  They lead a raid on a factory.  There they find coordinates that will lead them to Crystal Peak.  Reese is betrayed by Marcus -- a new terminator -- and left for dead.  Marcus confronts Connor and Reese saves the day by blasting Marcus apart with a plasma rifle.  Connor and Reese leave Crystal Peak.

Part 2:  Connor creates an army to fight the machines.  Connor tells Reese of his mother. 

Part 3: Lab complex captured and ends with Reese chasing a Terminator through time.

I've been thinking about it for a long time and, well, McG and the hacks who "wrote" the script for T:S dropped the ball and screwed us all.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#9 of 9 dazz

dazz

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 04 2009 - 06:06 PM

it was ok , the story was weak to me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users