Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lionsgate Press Release: February 2nd and 16th 2010 Titles (Blu-ray) (includes RAN)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,320 posts

Posted November 24 2009 - 09:10 AM

Lionsgate is proud to announce the upcoming DVD release of the LeBron James documentary More Than a Game on February 2nd.

Later that month arriving on February 16th, Lionsgate also releases Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever and From Mexico with Love coming to DVD, and the original Cabin Fever and StudioCanal Collection film classics Ran, The Ladykillers and Contempt coming to Blu-ray Disc.

February 2nd
More Than a Game
More Than a Game documents the incredible true story of basketball superstars LeBron James and the Akron Fab Five from their humble beginnings to national acclaim.   They may have been the best high school basketball team ever.  NBA superstar LeBron James, along with boyhood friends Sian Cotton, Dru Joyce III and Willie McGee began a journey that would take them from their local hometown streets to the world stage.  Joined by Romeo Travis in high school, the five fused their talents and, with the help of dedicated coach Dru Joyce II, rewrote Ohio basketball history.  More Than a Game chronicles the inspiring trials, tribulations and triumphs of five young men who became more than a team.

Critics have declared More Than a Game a slam dunk declaring it "a moving tribute to enduring friendship" (USA Today), "a knockout of a sports documentary" (Los Angeles Times), "exhilarating" (Vibe.com), "fascinating" (Wall Street Journal) and "heartwarming and amazing...we recommend this movie to everyone" (Newsday).  The DVD has a locker room full of exciting bonus materials including a film festival Q&A with the team, a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the documentary, a featurette that examines the psychology of team sports, the original pitch trailer for the film and features music from Jay-Z, Kanye West, Eminem, T.I. and Lil' Wayne. 
Pricing: DVD and Digital Download $27.98

February 16th
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever
Cabin Fever delivered terror in the flesh but now your flesh will crawl with Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever, the bloodcurdling sequel to the hit horror film.  Days after a killer virus consumed his friends; Paul emerges from a ditch by a river.  Though his body has been ravaged by the virus, he is determined to survive and to warn others of the danger.  However, a water bottling plant has already distributed contaminated water to the local high school.  The school's students are excitedly preparing for the prom, unaware they're about to have a grisly date with death.  The DVD contains bloody good bonus materials including an audio commentary with actors Mark Borchardt and Giuseppe Andrews, a "blood gag" reel and a special effects makeup featurette.  An Official Selection of Screamfest L.A., Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever will be available as an unrated DVD and digital download on February 16, 2010, coinciding with the Blu-ray debut of the original film.
Pricing: DVD and Digital Download $26.98

Cabin Fever Blu-ray Disc
Eli Roth's feature film directorial (and acting) debut, the new horror classic Cabin Fever, finally makes its Blu-ray Disc debut from Lionsgate in a never-before-seen unrated director's cut.  As a last hurrah after college, friends Jeff, Karen, Paul, Marcy and Bert embark on a vacation deep into the mountains. With the top down and the music up, they drive to a remote cabin to enjoy their last days of decadence before entering the working world.  Then somebody gets sick.  Karen's skin starts to bubble and burn as something grows inside her, tunneling beneath her flesh.  As they debate about how to save her, they look at one another and realize that any one of them could also have it.  What began as a struggle against the disease soon turns into a battle against friends, as the fear of contagion drives them to turn on each other.  The Blu-ray is presented in 7.1 DTS HD Master Audio and 1080P High Definition (2.40) Widescreen, and features "infect"-ious bonus materials including a new audio commentary with the director and cast members, the featurette "Beneath The Skin: The Making of Cabin Fever" and more.  The Cabin Fever Blu-ray Disc crawls onto store shelves on February 16, 2010, coinciding with the home entertainment release of the sequel Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever.
Pricing: Blu-ray Disc $19.99

From Mexico With Love
Hot up-and-coming Latin star Kuno Becker (GOAL!) lights up the screen in From Mexico with Love, an action-packed boxing drama from director Jimmy Nickerson, a veteran stunt coordinator and fight choreographer for such iconic bare-knuckle films as Raging Bull, Rocky and Fight Club. Struggling migrant farm worker Hector (Becker) spends his days in the fields and his nights as a part-time prizefighter. But when Hector discovers the rich rancher has slashed his mother's wages, he pays the ultimate price for brawling with the boss' thugs: a one-way ticket back over the Mexican border. Beaten up, broke and jobless, Hector joins forces with an old-school trainer and sets his sights on the rancher's boxer son for the ultimate David-and-Goliath faceoff. 

"An inspiring tale" (Variety) that "mixes cultures (and film genres) with an eye toward knocking down borders both cultural and contemporary" (Austin Chronicle), From Mexico with Love delivers a knockout punch on DVD and digital download!
Pricing: DVD and Digital Download $19.98

StudioCanal Collection on Blu-ray Disc
The Ladykillers
Contempt
Ran
Lionsgate proudly presents the first three releases in the StudioCanal Collection - a new series of acclaimed and influential films debuting on Blu-ray Disc with superior picture and sound quality plus unique special features.  The films include Ran the Academy Award®-winning classic (Best Costume Design, 1985) from acclaimed director Akira Kurosawa (The Seven Samurai); The Ladykillers starring Academy Award® winner Alec Guinness (Best Actor, The Bridge on the River Kwai, 1957) and two-time Academy Award® nominee Peter Sellers (Best Actor in a Leading Role, Being There, 1979, Best Actor, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb,1964); and Contempt (Le Mépris) from acclaimed director Jean-Luc Godard (Aria) and starring Brigitte Bardot (Viva Maria!). Each film will be accompanied by a 20-page collectible booklet.
Ran Synopsis:
Akira Kurosawa's brilliantly conceived re-telling of Shakespeare's King Lear magically mixes Japanese history, Shakespeare's plot and Kurosawa's own feelings about loyalty in this epic masterpiece that was named one of Empire Magazine's "500 Greatest Movies of All Time."  Set in 16th century Japan, an aging ruler, Lord Hidetora announces his intention to divide his land equally among his three sons.  Hidetora's decision to step down unleashes a power struggle between the three heirs when he falls prey to the false flattery bestowed upon him by the two older sons and banishes the youngest for speaking the truth.  That ruthless betrayal ultimately drives Hidetora insane, destroying his entire family and kingdom. Deep human emotion and outstanding acting combine to create one of the most acclaimed foreign films of all time that was hailed as "a great, glorious achievement" by the Chicago Sun-Times and "as close to perfect as filmmaking gets" by the San Francisco Chronicle.  The Blu-ray Disc is presented in 1080P High Definition Widescreen format with Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German and Italian DTS Master Audio.  Special features on the disc include "A.K." - the acclaimed feature-length documentary on the making of the film, "Akira Kurosawa: The Epic and the Intimate" - documentary on the director, a Portrait of Akira Kurosawa by Japanese cinema expert and interpreter Catherine Cadou, "The Samurai" - documentary on Samurai art, "Art of the Samurai" - an interview with a Japanese art of war expert plus BD-Live and a 20-page collectible booklet.

The Ladykillers Synopsis:
Called "one of the greatest comedies ever made" by Entertainment Weekly, The Ladykillers showcases Guinness in one of his most unforgettable performances as Professor Marcus, mastermind of a gang of vicious bank robbers who rent a room from an elderly widow.  However, when the dear old woman begins to meddle in their "perfect crime," the crooks decide that she might pose the biggest threat of all.  Co-starring Sellers in his first major screen role, The Ladykillers remains one of the most ruthless black comedies of all time and was nominated for the Academy Award® for Best Screenplay (William Rose, 1956).  The Blu-ray Disc is presented in 1080P High Definition Widescreen format with English, Spanish, French and German DTS Master Audio.   Special features include an introduction by filmmaker Terry Gilliam, "Forever Ealing" - a documentary on the famed British studio, audio commentary with film historian Philip Kemp, interviews with British filmmakers Allan Scott and Terence Davies and writer Ronald Harwood on the film, BD-Live (that includes a bonus interview with British filmmaker James Mangold) and a 20-page collectible booklet.

Contempt Synopsis:
The iconic Brigitte Bardot heats up the screen in this subversive drama about marriage, motive and the motion picture industry from French director Jean-Luc Godard, named the #4 "most influential director of all time" by Moviemaker Magazine. Called "a great movie" by Entertainment Weekly, this film within a film is, on the surface, about a director whose wife Camille falls out of love with him while he is rewriting an adaptation of Homer's "Odyssey" for an American producer.   However, underneath this tragic tale of a doomed romance lies the true subject: the commercial film industry, which Godard shows his contempt for in a directing performance that is slyly subversive, darkly comic and completely original.  The Blu-ray Disc is presented in 1080P High Definition Widescreen format with French, English, Spanish and German DTS Master Audio. Special features on the disc include an introduction by British film producer and Godard expert Colin MacCabe, a "making-of" documentary "One Upon a Time There Was...Contempt," a documentary on Godard's legacy in film "Contempt...Tenderly," a discussion between Godard and director Fritz Lang "The Dinosaur and the Baby," the theatrical trailer, BD-Live and a 20-page collectible booklet.  
Pricing: Blu-ray Disc $39.99 each Final product is not yet available for these titles.  We will be sending a reminder email approximately one month before street date, so feel free to request product at that time.  If you have a longer lead time, please respond to this email with your screener requests.   

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,791 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 24 2009 - 09:32 AM

Well, let's hope the fact that Lionsgate gets to release Ran and Contempt instead of Criterion works out OK. The European release of Contempt turned out well, so it this one should be identical. And Ran should be the same source material as the Criterion DVD. Personally, I'll get Ran and The Ladykillers if they prove worthy of purchase (not enough of a fan of Contempt to pick it up.)

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,777 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 24 2009 - 10:45 AM

I hope Lion's Gate irons out the problems they've been having with Blu-rays so Cabin Fever doesn't suffer.

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Supporting Actor

• 577 posts

Posted November 24 2009 - 10:46 AM

RAN, Contempt and The Ladykillers are going to be the exact same discs as those released in the UK/Germany/France.  Which means that RAN is going to look pretty bad and Contempt will be decent, but not great. (Don't think The Ladykillers is out yet, so I've not read any reviews.)

God, I hate StudioCanal.

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,954 posts

Posted November 25 2009 - 07:33 AM

=(. i was hoping for good PQ on Ran =(.

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 11,084 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 25 2009 - 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by JediFonger 

=(. i was hoping for good PQ on Ran =(.
Same here. The PQ on my SD-DVD copy is quite poor, even by DVD standards. I was looking forward to upgrading.

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 493 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted November 25 2009 - 11:24 AM

I own the Australian StudioCanal BDs of Contempt and The Deer Hunter.

Whilst it would have been great if Criterion had released their initially announced BD of Contempt, I think that Canal have done an excellent job. Apart from a fairly grimy opening sequence, it looks fabulous. The later scenes in a sunny Capri are stunning. The extra features are extremely valuable, particularly the first English-subtitled release of Antoine de Gaudemar's excellent documentary Il était une fois... Le mépris. As mentioned elsewhere, the disc starts with a choice of countries, including a USA option that leads to the Lionsgate logo. The disc is encoded for regions A and B.

The Deer Hunter also starts with a country menu, but there is no USA choice. (The disc is still encoded for regions A and B though....)

Reviews and screencaps of both these discs are up at DVDBeaver.

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted November 26 2009 - 02:37 AM

The Ladykillers will be a must have for me (as long as the PQ isn't butchered).

I'll probably hold off on Ran to see what the consensus is.

No interest in owning Contempt.

Death before Streaming!

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted November 26 2009 - 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick King 

RAN, Contempt and The Ladykillers are going to be the exact same discs as those released in the UK/Germany/France.  Which means that RAN is going to look pretty bad and Contempt will be decent, but not great. (Don't think The Ladykillers is out yet, so I've not read any reviews.)

Does this mean they will also have the same digibook-style packaging as the European editions - or will they be in regular Blu-ray cases?

Bruce Morrison

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,308 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 26 2009 - 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K 

The Ladykillers will be a must have for me (as long as the PQ isn't butchered).

Same here. I had to watch this several times to wash away the bad taste left by the remake. I love the Coen Bros., but.......

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Supporting Actor

• 577 posts

Posted November 26 2009 - 07:59 AM

I imagine that they will be in the same digibook-style cases.

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,791 posts

Posted November 27 2009 - 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Will*B 

The Deer Hunter also starts with a country menu, but there is no USA choice. (The disc is still encoded for regions A and B though....)
That's because Universal has the US rights to The Deer Hunter.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,791 posts

Posted February 05 2010 - 07:37 AM

Bad news - The Ladykillers is presented in unmatted 1.33:1 rather than it's theatrical 1.66:1.

So, the first batch of three titles include:

- A poor transfer of Ran that is barely better than the Criterion DVD
- An OK transfer of Contempt. Serviceable but not great.
- A wrong OAR release in The Ladykillers

Shame

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,496 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 06 2010 - 01:49 AM

Don't panic. IMDB is far from ultra-reliable about these things.

Over on another forum the BFI's Michael Brooke says:

"For what it's worth, I've just checked the aspect ratio of the clips on Screenonline, which were sourced from the BFI National Archive's viewing print - and the OAR would have been requested at the time of telecine, which I imagine the operator would have sourced from the markings on the cans... ...and it's 1.33:1."

Europe was far slower on the widescreen uptake than the US, so it would come as no surprise to learn that it was shot with both ratios in mind - at 1.66:1, though it's okay, it's always looked a tad tight to me on DVD.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 02:39 AM

No panic here.  I suspected that might be the case as I also thought the framing was tight on the Anchor Bay DVD. 

I see no reason to cancel my pre-order.

Death before Streaming!

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,791 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by John Hodson 

Don't panic. IMDB is far from ultra-reliable about these things.

Over on another forum the BFI's Michael Brooke says:

"For what it's worth, I've just checked the aspect ratio of the clips on Screenonline, which were sourced from the BFI National Archive's viewing print - and the OAR would have been requested at the time of telecine, which I imagine the operator would have sourced from the markings on the cans... ...and it's 1.33:1."

Europe was far slower on the widescreen uptake than the US, so it would come as no surprise to learn that it was shot with both ratios in mind - at 1.66:1, though it's okay, it's always looked a tad tight to me on DVD.
Thank you for at least provided some possible evidence that 1.33:1 may be OK. On the other boards I'm being lambasted for being concerned that 1.33:1 is not the intended theatrical aspect ratio.

I'm gonna send a PM to Mr. Harris and maybe he'll be able to provide a more definitive answer, or have a source that would.

EDIT: And to be absolutely clear - nobody's panicking. It's a video release. That's the context here.

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,496 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 06 2010 - 08:12 PM

The Beaver on The Ladykillers.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,791 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 07:14 AM

Seems a bit bright, but then many of the Beaver's BD captures seem a bit brighter than they actually are.

In other news, Mr. Harris' response to my inquiry: "Ladykillers is a 1955 production, which should be replicated at 1.66:1. Many theaters ran at at 1.37. My statement is based upon informed opinion. Nothing more."

Everyone can do with that information what they desire.

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,791 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 07:22 AM

http://www.dvdbeaver...ompare2/ran.htm

Having now seen the Ran comparison, it is nowhere near the disaster I had been led to believe. I was thinking Gangs of New York bad. This is definitely not that situation. Ideal? Maybe not. Best yet home video version of the title? Most likely.

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,791 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 07:31 AM

Further helpful info on The Ladykillers via Jeff at criterionforum.org:

" Philip Kemp was involved in the Blu-ray release, and no film scholar knows more about Mackendrick or Ealing than him, so I'm taking it as definitive."

That may be the most solid statement in regards to this film yet.

Furthermore: "There is a restoration demo on the new disc indicating that some substantial work has been done. Surely they consulted someone on what it should look like. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic there."

And MichaelB is in contact with Mr. Kemp and has sent him an inquiry. If there is indeed a response from Mr. Kemp, that could finalize all of this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users