Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help (ideas) isolating projector from vibrations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted November 19 2009 - 01:36 PM

Currently, my projector is sitting on a shelf that is mounted to the back wall. The shelf sits atop neoprene washers and the projector sits on vibrapods. The sub sits behind the rear seating, up against the back wall about 5' below the projector.

The projector is vibrating from heavy base.

I cannot move the sub otherwise it will sit in the middle of the room. I was thinking about building a shelf that would suspend from the ceiling via some chain. Thoughts? Or any other ideas?

At this point I am unable to use my sub to its full potential until I can isolate the projector better.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted November 20 2009 - 02:51 AM

Don't you have a room built inside your garage?  Can you brace the back wall some more?  Because moving the projector to the ceiling probably won't solve the issue.  Crank the system and touch the ceiling to see if it is vibrating as much as the back wall.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted November 20 2009 - 03:29 AM

Yes I do Robert, and I'll give your idea a try, thanks. If the ceiling doesn't vibrate a lot I'll build a ceiling mount for it.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted November 20 2009 - 03:58 AM

Think of your room as a speaker enclosure.  You want to limit the vibrations as much as possible.  If the walls and ceiling are vibrating, brace them.  When building speakers, that means braces on the inside of the enclosure.  That will be difficult since you are inside.  It's been a long time since I saw your pictures but is there any way to connect the room's ceiling or back wall to the existing wall or ceiling of your garage?  That should eliminate or greatly reduce the vibrations.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted November 20 2009 - 05:45 AM

One entire side wall of the theater is connected to the garage wall, but there's no way I can do a second wall.

I think the sub is just too close to the PJ, it's tucked in fairly snug between the back wall and rear seating. I think the best thing to do is relocate the sub (which I really don't have much of an option here) or do away with it and go with those vibrating pods that attach to the seats.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted November 20 2009 - 09:28 AM

Is the back wall where the projector shelf is located attached to something?  If only a side wall is connected to the garage wall, then that wall will move the least.

I'm not talking about building another wall.  I'm just talking about adding a 2x4 or 2 between the garage wall and the theater wall.

I checked your profile to see if you had any outside pics of your theater.  If that's your back yard, then you have the skills to fix the vibration issue.  That's nice. 

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   burntbyfire

burntbyfire

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 20 2009 - 09:48 AM

Since it sits on a shelf you can set the projector on a Gingko Cloud (gingkoaudio.com) platform, or on brass footers (mapleshade.com). Also, using Audio Additives 3M vibration damping strips (musicdirect.com) on the body of the projector (inside or out or both) will lessen both macro and micro vibrations.

Another idea is to set the subwoofer on top of a SubTrap from Acoustic Sciences Corporation, which not only dramatically increases bass performance but keeps the bass from needlessly vibrating everything in the room.

All of those ideas would be economical yet effective solutions to your problem. Good luck!

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted November 20 2009 - 06:37 PM

Robert, the PJ is on a shelf that is mounted to the back wall with the sub pretty much up against that same back wall, about 4' below the PJ. The sub really is too close to the PJ.

Thanks for all those suggestions Erik, I will look into all of them.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted November 20 2009 - 07:11 PM

One more thing I might try is to move my gear around and see if I can get the sub moved up to the front wall behind the screen. This would put it at the opposite end of the PJ which might help as well.