What's new

Need help (ideas) isolating projector from vibrations (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Currently, my projector is sitting on a shelf that is mounted to the back wall. The shelf sits atop neoprene washers and the projector sits on vibrapods. The sub sits behind the rear seating, up against the back wall about 5' below the projector.

The projector is vibrating from heavy base.

I cannot move the sub otherwise it will sit in the middle of the room. I was thinking about building a shelf that would suspend from the ceiling via some chain. Thoughts? Or any other ideas?

At this point I am unable to use my sub to its full potential until I can isolate the projector better.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't you have a room built inside your garage? Can you brace the back wall some more? Because moving the projector to the ceiling probably won't solve the issue. Crank the system and touch the ceiling to see if it is vibrating as much as the back wall.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yes I do Robert, and I'll give your idea a try, thanks. If the ceiling doesn't vibrate a lot I'll build a ceiling mount for it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Think of your room as a speaker enclosure. You want to limit the vibrations as much as possible. If the walls and ceiling are vibrating, brace them. When building speakers, that means braces on the inside of the enclosure. That will be difficult since you are inside. It's been a long time since I saw your pictures but is there any way to connect the room's ceiling or back wall to the existing wall or ceiling of your garage? That should eliminate or greatly reduce the vibrations.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
One entire side wall of the theater is connected to the garage wall, but there's no way I can do a second wall.

I think the sub is just too close to the PJ, it's tucked in fairly snug between the back wall and rear seating. I think the best thing to do is relocate the sub (which I really don't have much of an option here) or do away with it and go with those vibrating pods that attach to the seats.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is the back wall where the projector shelf is located attached to something? If only a side wall is connected to the garage wall, then that wall will move the least.

I'm not talking about building another wall. I'm just talking about adding a 2x4 or 2 between the garage wall and the theater wall.

I checked your profile to see if you had any outside pics of your theater. If that's your back yard, then you have the skills to fix the vibration issue. That's nice.

burntbyfire

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik
Since it sits on a shelf you can set the projector on a Gingko Cloud (gingkoaudio.com) platform, or on brass footers (mapleshade.com). Also, using Audio Additives 3M vibration damping strips (musicdirect.com) on the body of the projector (inside or out or both) will lessen both macro and micro vibrations.

Another idea is to set the subwoofer on top of a SubTrap from Acoustic Sciences Corporation, which not only dramatically increases bass performance but keeps the bass from needlessly vibrating everything in the room.

All of those ideas would be economical yet effective solutions to your problem. Good luck!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Robert, the PJ is on a shelf that is mounted to the back wall with the sub pretty much up against that same back wall, about 4' below the PJ. The sub really is too close to the PJ.

Thanks for all those suggestions Erik, I will look into all of them.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
One more thing I might try is to move my gear around and see if I can get the sub moved up to the front wall behind the screen. This would put it at the opposite end of the PJ which might help as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks