Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Rome -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 of 24 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,331 posts

Posted December 26 2010 - 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahilal /forum/thread/295053/a-few-words-about-rome-in-blu-ray#post_3764233

Yeah it was just two seasons and when the show ended, Rome was entering one of their longest periods of peace ever (under Augustus) so I don't think there are any plans to go further - what material would they use? Posted Image

That which was portrayed in "I, Claudius", which until Rome was probably the best TV series ever about the period. 

Of course its production values aren't anything near Rome, considering it's from the 70s, shot on video and only had modest BBC budgets, but the acting is simply top-notch, with Derek Jacobi in the title role, Brian Blessed as Augustus, John Hurt as Caligula (and a much younger Patrick Stewart too).

"I, Claudius" starts at the tail-end of Augustus's long reign, and goes through the next three emperors, therefore dealing with the rest of the Claudio-Julian dynasty that started Imperial Rome (as opposed to Rome's potrayal of the end of Republican Rome).  So for those who've gotten into Roman history via Rome and want more, may I suggest I, Claudius?  Just don't be disappointed at how it looks, substance truly does trump form in this instance.

#22 of 24 OFFLINE   Who's On First?

Who's On First?

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 06:30 PM

I have been interested in checking out "Rome" since I read RAH's review, and now that will come to pass shortly thanks to an exceptional Best Buy sale... Currently, Best Buy has the individual Seasons 1 & 2 boxsets on sale for $24.99 each. Additionally, Best Buy is running their DVD trade-in program, where a customer is given a $5 coupon for each used DVD (up to 5 per visit) that is turned over to their Customer Service desk. The coupon can be used to purchase any Blu-ray priced $9.99 and above. That brings the cost of each season box to $24.99+tax minus $5 But wait, there's more! If you buy either Season 1 or Season 2 in-store (not online), you can purchase the "Game of Thrones" Sampler Blu-Ray Disc for $0.01. I bought Rome Season 1 + "Game of Thrones" Sampler Blu-Ray for appx. $21. Then I turned around and bought Rome Season 2 + "Game of Thrones" Sampler Blu-Ray (second copy for a friend) for appx. $21. All 22 episodes of HBO's "Rome" on Blu-ray + "Game of Thrones" Sampler episode on Blu-ray (x2) for $42. I don't think the single-package Rome Complete Series boxset contains anything exclusive that is missing from the separate season boxsets, so this is a pretty sweet deal. Happy shopping, fellow HTF members :)

#23 of 24 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,867 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 07:06 PM

I have been interested in checking out "Rome" since I read RAH's review, and now that will come to pass shortly thanks to an exceptional Best Buy sale...
Currently, Best Buy has the individual Seasons 1 & 2 boxsets on sale for $24.99 each. Additionally, Best Buy is running their DVD trade-in program, where a customer is given a $5 coupon for each used DVD (up to 5 per visit) that is turned over to their Customer Service desk. The coupon can be used to purchase any Blu-ray priced $9.99 and above.
That brings the cost of each season box to $24.99+tax minus $5
But wait, there's more!
If you buy either Season 1 or Season 2 in-store (not online), you can purchase the "Game of Thrones" Sampler Blu-Ray Disc for $0.01.
I bought Rome Season 1 + "Game of Thrones" Sampler Blu-Ray for appx. $21.
Then I turned around and bought Rome Season 2 + "Game of Thrones" Sampler Blu-Ray (second copy for a friend) for appx. $21.
All 22 episodes of HBO's "Rome" on Blu-ray + "Game of Thrones" Sampler episode on Blu-ray (x2) for $42.
I don't think the single-package Rome Complete Series boxset contains anything exclusive that is missing from the separate season boxsets, so this is a pretty sweet deal. Happy shopping, fellow HTF members :)

Excellent deal! I paid c. $25 for each season from amzn, and I thought that was a good price. It's a quality show. Rather brutal in places...If you like shows about Roman history, this one covers the period before the classic BBC show I Claudius in the 70s

#24 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 09:09 AM

The individual seasons are $16.99 right now at Amazon. Can anyone tell me what the packaging is on these?

#25 of 24 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,548 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 16 2014 - 08:28 AM

I finally ordered this today, I haven't bought any Blu-rays for a while & am having withdrawal symptoms. TCM started showing it again in the weekend, I got through half the first episode & 1/I remembered what a great series this was & 2/thought this deserves HD (I get a sort of sub SD picture watching TCM in England). £29 from Amazon, couldn't get it any cheaper, but that's a more than fair price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users