What's new

Overloaded on DVD's (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys;

This isn't just a tv problem, but a movie one as well.

Do some of you have so many DVD's that you haven't gotten around to watching all their content yet. Besides my recording shows on my VCR and DVD burner and seeing about one film at the theater a week, do any of you find that you haven't caught up on all your watching of your current DVD's?

I'm so ashamed. And here I'm asking for more DVD's for Christmas. When will the insanity stop? I haven't finished the Monster Squad tv show DVD, haven't finished watching the extras on the Wolverine blue ray, or listened to the commentary. Haven't even watched the extras on GI Joe Resolute or the GI Joe film.

Eh.. . Do any of you have problems like that?

James

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:Originally Posted by JamesSmith

Seriously, I don't even go to the theater (last movie I saw at a theater was about 15 years ago) and I'm still way behind on the dvds I have. So yeah, I have the same problem and it's horrible. I've got dvds that have been sitting on my shelves for months and months that haven't even been opened yet. And that's a terrible thing because if any of them are scratched I'm likely up the proverbial creek on getting them replaced.

I've really cut back this year, which has worked out well for me because vintage TV series have definitely not been coming out at the pace they were last year or in the last half dozen years. So in that sense things have worked out well for me because at least I'm not still buying bunches of things that sit on the shelves. I've stopped the bleeding, so to speak. And looking at it positively, if the market for classic TV on DVD is going to keep slowing down (and I personally think it is) then at least I've got a great stockpile of things to watch - probably till I die!

Gary "I definitely went crazy in the early years of this hobby" O.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by JamesSmith

Dear Guys;

This isn't just a tv problem, but a movie one as well.

Do some of you have so many DVD's that you haven't gotten around to watching all their content yet. Besides my recording shows on my VCR and DVD burner and seeing about one film at the theater a week, do any of you find that you haven't caught up on all your watching of your current DVD's?

I'm so ashamed. And here I'm asking for more DVD's for Christmas. When will the insanity stop? I haven't finished the Monster Squad tv show DVD, haven't finished watching the extras on the Wolverine blue ray, or listened to the commentary. Haven't even watched the extras on GI Joe Resolute or the GI Joe film.

Eh.. . Do any of you have problems like that?

James
I'm one of them, although I made a dent in it by finishing "Cheers" #1 and "Get Smart" #2. I still have "Get Smart" #3 to get through, and the first ones of "Sanford" and "Family Ties."

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
My Signature bears testimony to the number of TV Shows and Movies I have accumulated since I got rid of Cable three years ago.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Same problem here, too. We have so many DVDs there isn't room for them all. Been having a hard time finding a media cabinet that has shelves tall enough for DVDs. We have to store ours on their sides.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I rarely watch the extras on a disc anymore, even though I sometimes buy the disc for some new documentary or extra. But I prune the library the same way I do my books - if I'm not likely to read it or watch it ever again, out it goes, whether passed along to a friend or traded in for store or Spun credit.

I forget who once said that your library should only be comprised of the books you INTEND to read, but that works for DVDs as well. So if you have a lot you haven't caught up with, that's okay. It's the ones you deep down know you're never going to watch again you should let go. What's it sitting there for?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
as far as storage, i recently bought several of these

http://www.shopperinc.com/product.htm?pid=570609&catid=26233

as far as being behind, dont give it a thought. watch when your life gives you the ability to watch. but do so when you can enjoy them, not as if it is a job to be done.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
James,

With this group the more effective question would have been whether anyone is caught up on their DVD watching. My guess is that you would have received very few, if any, responses to that question.

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
I've built up a backlog with my low frequency viewing. Friday nights I watch an episode each of two shows. Then one on Sunday evenings. Saturdays are for Netflix. Unwatched have piled up so much that I've decided to cut back on purchases, except for those shows I'm already into - Lost, Life on Mars (UK) The Fugitive, The Tudors, Robin Hood...not much of a cut-back, eh.

For the rest of the week, I like to read books.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i believe that most shows will get re-released. but they wont sell them forever. so get stuff while they are available. you never know when you might want to watch something. better to have it and not watch it, than to want to watch it and not have it.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Good replies to James' question.

I'm like most here "never enough time to watch DVD's". I can blame it on sports (DirecTV) If not for that, I might be close to caught up by now.

From what I read on the Bd, my collection is a lot smaller than most here. Even with that, I have a lot on the shelf that's un-viewed.

Examples of where I'm at with my stuff:

A-Team's been out for 2-3 years? I have all of the sets and just recently finished S4.
Bewitched: Just started S5 with all of the show on the shelf.
Daniel Boone: Thanks to a great friend I have S1-5. Just started S1.
Dick Van Dyke complete series: In the middle of S3
I Dream of Jeannie: Have the complete series. Middle of S3
Looney Tunes Golden Sets: Have all, just started Vol 2
Munsters complete set: Just started S1
Rockford Files: Have all, nearly done with S3
Taxi: Have S1-4. Still viewing S1

That's some of them. I didn't list the ones where I have 3 seasons and viewing Season 1.

As Gary said, I've also reduced my DVD buying over the last year or so. One reason is the decline of classic TV/DVD releases but the other is that I have enough on the shelf for a while.

I like Williams' post about the reason most of us collect these things. There's nothing like having a library of shows to watch whenever we want to watch them. As for current TV? He said it for me. I've been out of touch since the late 90's with series TV shows.

Wayne mentioned another good question, "rewatchability". Nearly all of mine are the kind that I'll most likely watch again someday. There are maybe 2-3 shows where I'll probably sell or give away eventually.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I just finished watching the Sand Pebbles almost three years after I first bought the DVD and enjoyed it immensely. When I first got it I watched probably 20 minutes of it, set it aside and forgot about it until now. I thought I had to watch a DVD the minute I tore open the shrink wrap but over the years I realized I wasn't just buying movies because I had nothing better to do but because I was building the film collection of my dreams consisting of programming I would enjoy in the comfort of my home whenever I desired - a beautiful thing indeed. I no longer worry about not having the time to watch a movie - I'll watch it whenever I'm in the mood to watch that particular film. I was in the mood for a 3-hr historical epic last weekend and I had just the right movie for that. That's what's its all about, folks - being able to pick one out of your collection to enjoy whenever YOU want. That's why we got into this and that's why its so much fun. Think I'll dust off my copy of Mutiny On the Bounty next.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My wife's finally given up asking "what... buying *another* movie/TV show/CD/book?" and accepted my collections. I finally got her to understand that I actually spend less money on this stuff than friends who hunt, fish, watch sports, gamble, etc. and that I only buy what I like or promises to be a good value on a blind buy. I also *never* rent unless it's 100% free. :)

I currently have over 200 movies and over 100 seasons of TV shows still in shrink wrap with more on the way (just got one TV season in the mail today). I'm planning on more purchases on BF (hopefully from amazon so I don't have to venture out) and just joined CH TVonDVD club for the 15th time.

At the rate I'm able to watch it'll take me a couple of years to "catch up"... of course by then I expect to be even further behind. I very much like to be able to go to the shelf and pick something to watch. I've not been to a movie theater for over 5 years and don't miss it. If it were not for my wife wanting to keep cable I'd have dropped it long ago and spent the money on DVDs. I've grown to *hate* commercial TV and commercial interruptions. The massive increase of commercials on radio caused me to stop listening to radio and build a massive CD collection. The DVD collection is hot on its' heals and I've run out of storage for both.

I've actually increased my purchasing over the past year as prices have fallen on many series I've had my eye on and some really *great* deals have come along.

I, too, make time to read and have a fairly good sized library with enough unread books to fill up several years as well.

My family has accepted my "addictions" and no longer say "oh, *another* CD/DVD/Book list for Christmas, eh?"

So... overloaded? Nah... just a bit behind. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by jimmyjet

as far as storage, i recently bought several of these

http://www.shopperinc.com/product.htm?pid=570609&catid=26233

as far as being behind, dont give it a thought. watch when your life gives you the ability to watch. but do so when you can enjoy them, not as if it is a job to be done.
That looks quite a lot like the Can-Am storage systems but at a bit lower price. How much is their shipping? I didn't want to register just to get that info.

I wonder who came up with it first?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i had been considering can-am for years - but their price is real expensive. these are almost exactly the same, in quality. their shipping is way, way lower - as well as their pricing. i bought 3 of the wheeled bottom carts, along with 6 of the 3 drawer cabinets. so i ended up with 3 wheeled units, each with 2 cabinets, or 6 drawers. i got a good discount without asking for it. i was already saving 50% off the can am prices. the company is only about 25 miles from me. i think they were somewhere in the san fernando valley area. if you live on the east coast, shipping is probably gonna be a lot higher.

i still havent gotten my cabinets put together, yet. if you are gonna stack them, they have screws and knockouts, so that the 2 cabinets stay together. they would probably stay okay without the fasteners. but if you are gonna have them on wheels, so that you can move them - and if you want them earthquake safe, i do plan to fasten them together.

as far as who came first - i can say that i was aware of can am for years - i only found this place this year. i dont recall when they started business - but i was real happy with how they dealt with me. can am has a much bigger selection of other types of cabinetry. this place had mostly just drawers to store cds/dvds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks