Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

**** WARNER ANNOUNCEMENT: DVD TO BLU-RAY UPGRADE PROGRAM ****

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,574 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 10:44 PM

GET BLU THIS HOLIDAY SEASON!
WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT GROUP LAUNCHES
DVD TO BLU-RAY UPGRADE PROGRAM

Consumers Can Exchange Their Standard Definition DVDs and See Their Favorite Films
the Way They Were Meant To Be Seen with the Absolute Best Picture and Sound

Over 50 of Warner Home Video’s Most Sought-After Titles Available to Upgrade Including “10,000 B.C.” ”Wedding Crashers” and “A Christmas Story”  

Burbank, Calif., November 17, 2009 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group today launched “DVD2Blu.com,” a site that allows consumers to upgrade the movies they already own on DVD to Blu-Ray Disc, the absolute best way to watch movies at home. Consumers can select from over 50 of Warner Home Video’s most sought-after titles to upgrade including “Body of Lies,” “A Christmas Story” and “Michael Clayton.”

“DVD2Blu is a great way for consumers to start or expand their Blu-ray Disc collection,” said Dorinda Marticorena, senior vice president, Worldwide Marketing and High Definition, Warner Home Video. “We’re launching the program with a wide range of titles that will appeal to a broad audience. In the coming months, we’re looking to expand the program and make additional titles available.”

The DVD2Blu program debuts at a time when consumers are rapidly adopting Blu-ray Disc. According to figures compiled by the Digital Entertainment Group through the first three quarters of 2009, Blu-ray Disc set-top player sales grew 112 percent over the same period last year. This holiday season, consumers can expect to see Blu-ray player prices starting around $100, making it much easier for home audiences to see films the way they were meant to be seen on their HDTV.   

Through DVD2Blu, consumers can now experience their favorite movies again for the very first time in stunning 1080p picture quality and crisp, superior sound that only comes from a Blu-ray Disc. Titles such as “Training Day,” “Deliverance” and “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” can be upgraded for as little as $7.95 plus shipping. Consumers who place orders over $25 will receive free shipping.    

The process to upgrade is simple. Consumers select the titles they want to upgrade on DVD2Blu.com, mail in their standard DVDs with pre-paid postage and a short time later receive copies of the same film on Blu-ray Disc. For a complete list of titles visit DVD2Blu.com

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group is proud to be a leader in environmental stewardship and is committed to recycling the DVDs that consumers send in as part of the DVD2Blu program. The intellectual property is fully destroyed and all of the physical components are reused or recycled. For more information on Warner Bros. environmental initiatives, please visithttp://wbenvironmental.warnerbros.com/.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 54 ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 12:27 AM

Nothing terribly interesting as of yet. Get back to me when they have The Matrix and Harry Potter.

(Whatever happened to Disney's equivalent. anyways? We're coming up on the end of "fall 2009" real fast...)

"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#3 of 54 Ed Faver

Ed Faver

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 03:47 AM

Okay...When Warners set up the Red2Blu program, I sent them 24 qualifying HD DVD sleeves and, to date, received three Harry Potter films. I jumped on this program as soon as it was announced and ended up with nearly zippity-do-dah. I wish I could get more excited about the new program...

#4 of 54 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,685 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 02:25 PM

I really do hope that Warner Bros. Canada announces a similar program on this side of the border since the program is not open to Canadians.  I'd love to trade up some of those titles to blu.  It would certainly beat trying to sell them to second hand shops which offer next to nothing for old dvds./img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif

Recently watched- Friday The 13th(2009), The Sessions, Freddy vs. Jason, Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life, Jason X, Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday, Friday The 13th Pt VIII:Jason Takes Manhattan, Godzilla Vs. Biollante, Ninja II:Shadow Of A Tear, Friday The 13th Pt VII:The New Blood, Non-Stop(2014), Friday The 13th Pt VI:Jason Lives, Batman: Mystery Of The Batwoman, Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker, Gettysburg(1993)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Beauty and The Beast: Season 3

"The mill's closed.  There's no more work.  We're destitute...I'm afraid I have no choice but to sell you all for scientific experiments."

#5 of 54 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 03:34 PM

I'd like to upgrade some of mine but the details seem a bit vague. Some questions I have:

Does the BD arrive in a case, like purchased in a store?

If it came from a 2 disc DVD set, do you have to send both discs or just the movie disc?

Some titles have various versions. For example, I have the later "Dumb & Dumber" unrated release. Can I send that one it as the cover on the WB website seems to have the old version cover showing. For "Superman Returns" can I send in the disc that came in the tin set?
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#6 of 54 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 17 2009 - 04:35 PM

I think this is a wonderfully generous thing for Warner to do. $7.95 is a bargain for a blu-ray and not too bad for an upgrade fee. I have 16 titles on the list on DVD and it would be about $130 to upgrade them all. The program has no set expiration date, so I might just upgrade a few at a time. The fine print said it was limited to 25 titles per household but didn't say you couldn't break up your orders.

#7 of 54 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted November 17 2009 - 05:21 PM

The price isn't too bad, but many of these titles usually hover around $10 anyway. It'd be cooler if we didn't have to send in the DVDs (and just art or UPCs instead).

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#8 of 54 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted November 18 2009 - 01:54 AM

To answer Will G's question, they do send you the same BD that you would get in the stores, still sealed.  And in the FAQ, they mention that yes, you can send the disc that was part of the set.

But I also don't know about the 2 DVD sets.  Do you send both discs or just the movie?

And what about films that have been released multiple times on DVD?  If you only have the first version, or a full frame version from the early days of DVD, will those be upgradable, even if later DVDs were released?  No mention of that. 

It looks like a great program though. 

#9 of 54 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,593 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 18 2009 - 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J.D 

I really do hope that Warner Bros. Canada announces a similar program on this side of the border since the program is not open to Canadians.  I'd love to trade up some of those titles to blu.  It would certainly beat trying to sell them to second hand shops which offer next to nothing for old dvds.

I agree.  I would love to upgrade my Kubricks, I was just telling a friend today how I'm kicking myself for buying the remastered SD set not realizing I was going to be Blu so quickly.

Frankly, Warners has blown it this year.  Yeah, they've put out some great releases likw Oz in Blu, but with this program and the Archives program, they have done Canadians no favours.  I used to average a Warners boxset a month.  Now that they've abandoned the retail boxes like Tarzans, Gangsters, Noirs etc for the overpriced Archives releases (that I wouldn't purchase at the price offered even if it was offered to Canadians) my Warners purchases are pretty much regulated to the odd new release.  Fortunatley Sony is filling in some of the gaps with their reasonably priced collections.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#10 of 54 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,077 posts

Posted November 18 2009 - 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray H 

The price isn't too bad, but many of these titles usually hover around $10 anyway. It'd be cooler if we didn't have to send in the DVDs (and just art or UPCs instead).

This the way they handled their initial HD-DVD -> Blu-ray offer. You kept the actual HD-DVD(s) and were only required to send in the cover art with the UPC still attached. For titles with special packaging they accepted the proof of purchase tabs. It would have been nice if they'd continued that with the DVD swap program.

Careful man! There's a beverage here!

#11 of 54 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,813 posts

Posted November 18 2009 - 11:16 AM

Good to see Warner finally stepping up w/ something like this, but that list will need to expand quickly (to include more recent releases) for it to matter too much, IMHO.  Well, I suppose there will be some months when discounts/sales will be slim enough for this to help much, but for the most part, it seems more useful for newcomers to Blu than for those of us who've been in the format for a couple years now.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#12 of 54 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted November 19 2009 - 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G 

Frankly, Warners has blown it this year.  Yeah, they've put out some great releases likw Oz in Blu, but with this program and the Archives program, they have done Canadians no favours.  I used to average a Warners boxset a month.  Now that they've abandoned the retail boxes like Tarzans, Gangsters, Noirs etc for the overpriced Archives releases (that I wouldn't purchase at the price offered even if it was offered to Canadians) my Warners purchases are pretty much regulated to the odd new release.  Fortunatley Sony is filling in some of the gaps with their reasonably priced collections.
I really have to disagree.

If you look at all the studios, even Sony, Warner has been one of the steadiest as far as titles go.  Looking at the upcoming releases for the next few months, some studios are virtual ghost towns with only a couple films being released.  Warner still has many releases each and every week. 

While they may have scaled back on the box sets and older titles (although the Esther Williams set came out recently), that is mainly for economic reasons.  Head into any Big Lots.  You will find the DVD racks full of Warner titles that went unsold and are being liquidated.  The DVD market has dried up very quickly.  Major retailers are only carrying the best sellers.

The Archive may not be ideal, the discs I've seen have been better quality than I expected.  I mean, does anyone think that a Joe McDoakes set would have been a big seller at Best Buy?  Now, fans can finally get it.  Same with the Little Rascals set.

They are doing great things with Blu-Ray.  And, as far as their BBC brand, they are still releasing box sets.  I just got the Steve Coogan box set this week. 

This year, Warner has been one of my favorite studios.

#13 of 54 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,593 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 19 2009 - 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Martin 

I really have to disagree.

If you look at all the studios, even Sony, Warner has been one of the steadiest as far as titles go.  Looking at the upcoming releases for the next few months, some studios are virtual ghost towns with only a couple films being released.  Warner still has many releases each and every week. 

While they may have scaled back on the box sets and older titles (although the Esther Williams set came out recently), that is mainly for economic reasons.  Head into any Big Lots.  You will find the DVD racks full of Warner titles that went unsold and are being liquidated.  The DVD market has dried up very quickly.  Major retailers are only carrying the best sellers.

The Archive may not be ideal, the discs I've seen have been better quality than I expected.  I mean, does anyone think that a Joe McDoakes set would have been a big seller at Best Buy?  Now, fans can finally get it.  Same with the Little Rascals set.

They are doing great things with Blu-Ray.  And, as far as their BBC brand, they are still releasing box sets.  I just got the Steve Coogan box set this week. 

This year, Warner has been one of my favorite studios.
To counter, and not to beat a dead horse or digress.  Warner does make great DVDs and quality blu rays.  I wont question that and I buy many of them.  They are one of the, if not THE major company as well seeing as so many other studios come under their umbrella, obviously we will be seeing many releases from Warners, and I'm thankful that they do typically put out top notch discs.

That said, economics or not, the current program is crap for those of us who enjoyed their previous entries.  I'm not an expert on classic film, but you wouldn't know it from my collection which is so heavy with classic titles.  This is because of Warners boxsets.  I rarely paid over $40cdn for them.  So, a set like Tarzan.  I heard the first couple of films were good, I was curious and bought the set.  At 6 films (I think) at $40, I got it for $6.67 a movie.  That's a heck of a deal, and I blind bought the following set, and was eagerly anticipating future Tarzan volumes.  Same thing with gangsters, noir, musicals... etc.

Then Warners introduced the Archives.  At $20 a film, I'm not going to blind buy it, and now I have series of boxsets that have simply come to an end despite more of these films being released.  Since I'm in Canada, I couldn't purchase them even if I wanted to spend the money.  I see those boxsets on the clearance racks too, but you know what?  I suppoerted Warners in putting them out by buying them when they were released, and now I've had the door slammed in my face.

So FOR ME, it's hardley an ideal situation, just like this program isn't.  I supported Warners in buying many of those titles in SD, why shouldn't we get an option to upgrade to?  

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#14 of 54 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted November 19 2009 - 01:03 PM

I guess this would be okay for some, but as others have said, you can buy some of these titles on sale already for a buck or two more, and sell off your DVD if you really wanted to. Less hassle IMO.

#15 of 54 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 01 2009 - 10:15 AM

I decided to take advantage of this offer and ordered seven titles. I placed the order the weekend before Thanksgiving, and sent in the discs last Monday. I was shocked when I received all seven titles in today's mail, about 9-10 days after I initially placed the order. /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

#16 of 54 Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 562 posts

Posted December 03 2009 - 04:51 AM

My discs came yesterday!
Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#17 of 54 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted December 03 2009 - 07:40 AM

I got my discs today.  They even took the early full frame versions of titles that were later upgraded in exchange for Blu-Rays which I wasn't sure of.

I wrote a review here.

Great program.  I'm very happy with it. 

#18 of 54 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,017 posts

Posted December 04 2009 - 07:05 AM

After placing an order on the website, how long did it take for the e-mail with the shipping label to arrive?  I placed an order on the site around this time yesterday and have yet to receive anything.

#19 of 54 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted December 04 2009 - 08:42 AM

It took me about an hour to get mine.  I thought it would be instantaneous, so thought something was wrong. 

#20 of 54 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 04 2009 - 09:59 AM

I received the shipping label fairly quickly -- within an hour or two, if I recall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users