Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Columbia/Sony Wishlist Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
260 replies to this topic

#1 of 261 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 04:34 AM

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#2 of 261 OFFLINE   MLamarre

MLamarre

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 05:15 AM

Stanley Kramer films Bless the Beasts & Children (1971) and Oklahoma Crude (1973)

Max Ophuls' The Reckless Moment (1949) #220 on 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

Housekeeping
(1987) #766 on 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

The 1956 version of George Orwell's 1984

A re-release of On the Waterfront in it's OAR (1.85:1)

Fritz Lang's Human Desire (1954)

Nicholas Ray films Knock on Any Door (1949) and Hot Blood (1955)

#3 of 261 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 05:33 AM

Marcel, I want every single title in your wish list. Here are my contribution, most of the titles, comedies:
- Penny Serenade (an official release!!!! - Cary Grant, Irene Dunne)
- Man's Castle (Spencer Tracy, Loretta Young)
- They all kissed the Bride (Joan Crawford, Melvyn Douglas)
- You belong to me (Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda)
- The Impatient Years (Jean Arthur, Lee Bowman)
- The Lady is willing (Marlene Dietrich, Fred MacMurray)
- It had to be you (Ginger Rogers, Cornel Wilde)
- She Married her Boss (Claudette Colbert, Melvyn Douglas)
- The Whole Town is talking (Edward G Robinson, Jean Arthur)
- He Stayed for Breakfast (Loretta Young, Melvyn Douglas)
- More than a Secretary (Jean Arthur, George Brent)
- Bedtime story (Fredric March, Loretta Young)
- Lady by Choice (Carole Lombard)
- Adventure in Manhattan (Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea) - Craig's Wife (Rosalind Russell, John Boles)
- The Lady in Question (Brian Aherne, Rita Hayworth, Glenn Ford) Plus some films starring Melvyn Douglas, Joan Blondell, Rosalind Russell, Lucille Ball, Evelyn Keyes, Grace Moore, Ann Miller, Glenn Ford and Cornel Wilde

#4 of 261 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,871 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by MLamarre 

Stanley Kramer films Bless the Beasts & Children (1971) and Oklahoma Crude (1973)

The Reckless Moment (1949) Max Ophuls, #220 on 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

Housekeeping
(1987) #766 on 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

The 1956 version of George Orwell's 1984

A re-release of On the Waterfront in it's OAR (1.85 : 1)

I second Housekeeping.  It's my favorite film, and I'm really surprised we haven't seen a dvd release yet.

Criterion, are you listening?

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#5 of 261 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 06:11 AM

Is the Capra/Stanwyck set still in development?  This was the set that I wanted the most:
The Miracle Woman
Forbidden
The Bitter Tea of General Yen

Why not throw in some other early Capra films and make it a deluxe set similar to the first one?

#6 of 261 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,955 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted November 16 2009 - 06:17 AM

I'm mainly interested in 80's schlock like Hell Hole, Piranha II  and the like. Sony seems to have a licensing deal with Anchor Bay so some of this stuff may end up with them. These movies may not be high art but some of us enjoy them and they should be properly represented on DVD, meaning they should be released completely uncut and looking as clean as possible. I know I'm asking too much, though.
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#7 of 261 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Peterson 

Is the Capra/Stanwyck set still in development?  This was the set that I wanted the most:
The Miracle Woman
Forbidden
The Bitter Tea of General Yen

Why not throw in some other early Capra films and make it a deluxe set similar to the first one?

That'll be awesome. Count me in for anything Capra.

The The Whistler series would be great as well, maybe as an Icons of Suspense: The Complete The Whistler Series.

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#8 of 261 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,369 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 06:44 AM

The Dark Past (1948)
Fuller Brush Man (1948)
Return Of October (1948)
Knock On Any Door (1949)
No Sad Songs For Me (1950)
Woman Of Distinction (1950)
Bullet Is Waiting (1954)
Fire Over Africa (1954)
Count Three And Pray (1955)
Three For The Show (1955)
Autumn Leaves (1956)
Safari (1956)
You Can't Run Away From It (1956)
Jeanne Eagels (1957)
Story Of Esther Costello (1957)
The Goddess (1958)
Gunman's Walk (1958)
The Key (1958)
Screaming Mimi (1958)
Let No Man Write My Epitaph (1960)
Pepe (1960)
Five Finger Exercise (1962)
The Interns (1962)
The Victors (1963)
The New Interns (1964)
Pumpkin Eater (1964)
Love Has Many Faces (1965)
Three On A Couch (1966)
The Happening (1967)
Night Of The Generals (1967)
Mad Room (1969)
Doctors' Wives (1971)
Go Between (1971)
The Hireling (1973)
Providence (1977)

#9 of 261 OFFLINE   Hoppy

Hoppy

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 07:41 AM

I would like to see Sony release more of the Columbia serials, mainly The Shadow and The Spider's Web, but would welcome others like The Spider Returns, Deadwood Dick and The Desert Hawk.

#10 of 261 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Marcel H. 

Between Midnight and Dawn
Blind Spot
The Burglar
The Clouded Yellow
ConvictedDrive a Crooked Road
Escape in the Fog
Framed
Johnny O'Clock
Knock on Any Door
Tight Spot
To the Ends of the Earth
Women's Prison
The Woman in Question

That's an excellent list to which I'd add Human Desire.

I'd really like to see more westerns, especially the remaining Randolph Scott pictures like Seventh Cavalry, The Nevadan and The Walking Hills.Someone mentioned The Whistler films, and I'll add my request for other series such as Crime Doctor, Boston Blackie and The Lone Wolf.
Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#11 of 261 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 10:23 AM

First and foremost, a multi-disc set of:

COLUMBIA CARTOON CLASSICS!

featuring Screen Gems - Krazy Kat, Scrappy, Color Rhapsody series and The Fox and Crow shorts!

Similar to Universal's Woody Woodpecker/Walter Lantz collections, but perhaps more comprehensive and collector-oriented if viable to Sony. Bring on Jerry Beck as consultant to hand pick the best cartoon film shorts from each series to give an overall representation of the studio's output through the decades. I'd pay any price to have this done right; It would be my ULTIMATE dream collection from Sony!!!

Next-up...

UPA

A complete collection of UPA's innovative and groundbreaking JOLLY FROLICS series!

It's about time that this long-neglected output of wonderfully eccentric, artistic and uniquely stylized cartoons from an equally important and underappreciated studio got it's due with a proper presentation on DVD with consultation and production oversight from Tee Boustow (Stephen's son) and writer/historian Amid Amidi! A two-disc set with perhaps the bonus Ham and Hattie cartoons and a couple of industrial shorts, and ideally a featurette or short docu on the rise of UPA studios and the impact and influence on animated films and the art world of the studio. It would not only complete the entire filmography but also be an absolute dream come true for film fans, cartoon buffs, art afficianados, modernists, and jazzbos alike!

Last but not least...

MR. MAGOO 

The Columbia Pictures theatrical cartoons: 1950-1959

A four-disc set would complete the entire run and surely be a top seller. These are, in my opinion, outstanding films and among the choice studio shorts produced within the declining years of animation's Golden Age. I would love to see the original Mr. Magoo shorts finally released on DVD.

I realize there are a number of early Stanwycks (including some unreleased Capra pictures) and Barrymore pre-codes as well as a number of "name actors" and directors to pick from, however in all truth and honesty, the cream of the crop has already found it's way out and while there are still plenty of unreleased gems from the Sony/Columbia vaults, these are really much lesser films than the multitude of as-of-yet unexcavated films from Columbia's animated output. Let's face it, COLUMBIA PICTURES in comparisson to it's neighbor studios, was especially known and recognized for it's short subjects and it turned out some of the paramount examples with it's fine animated film series. Why should these golden age classics continue to be neglected while lesser fare (the Jack Lemon set was enjoyed very much by me, but let's face it... most of those Lemons were indeed lemons!) is devoted to simply because of a desire to release classic films from Columbia's archives. A Screen Gems/Columbia Classics set along with a UPA Jolly Frolics and Mr. Magoo collection would be the ULTIMATE release for this series, and similar to the Sam Fuller, Bud Boetticher, Michael Powell, etc. series, a new and elegant line of Animated Classics collections could be released quarterly to great popularity and success! I really hope Mr. Schlesinger and the powers that be at Sony take note of these potential classics... they are every bit as entertaining and enjoyable as the live-action output and if there's a market for any number of the sets already released, than their commercial viability shouldn't differ!

#12 of 261 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 10:31 AM

I will second the request for the Magoo theatrical cartoons.  These classics from the 50s are long overdue on DVD.

#13 of 261 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 10:59 AM

I think that my ultimate wish would be for the UPA Jolly Frolics series to be released in their entirety. They are masterpieces of modern animation which contributed beyond measure to the entire art form and paved the way for many of today's cartoons; raising the bar for the animated film industry during a period of financial strain with the golden age studios in their theatrical decline, UPA impacted the look of every animated short subject to follow. Brilliantly forward thinking in their approach to the stylized aesthetic of cartoon art, leading the standard for the television medium in the 1950s by achieving the greatest effect and maximum expression through wildly appealing streamlined designs and innovative story-telling with limited budgets. Hailed by art critics and intellectuals alike for the studio's modernist conceptual style, progressive social views, adaptation of contemporary literature, art influence and modern jazz music, and criticized by right-leaning commie pinko fearing conservatives. A two-disc collection of these brilliant shorts remastered and with Gene Deitch (get him while he's still around!) interview/commentary and involvement from Tee Boustow and Amid Amidi would be my ultimate wish.

Next only to a thorough and comprehensive Golden Collection-style package of the Columbia Classics, from the b&w Krazy Kat and Scrappy cartoons, to the vivid Color Rhapsodies, wildly entertaining Fox and Crow shorts (incl. the two initial UPA films), etc. Make it happen, Mike S!

#14 of 261 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 11:15 AM

Also, it would be nice to finally release a more deserving edition of ON THE WATERFRONT...

And the 1965 b-grade teen flick: WINTER-A-GO-GO as a guilty pleasure!

#15 of 261 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,924 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 16 2009 - 11:28 AM

I second WINTER-A-GO-GO and also would like see the GIDGET films in the proper OAR.  No pan-scan for Gidget please.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#16 of 261 OFFLINE   Bob Graham

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor

• 507 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 12:23 PM

Arthur Penn's MICKEY ONE
Josef von Sternberg's CRIME AND PUNISHMENT

#17 of 261 OFFLINE   RBailey

RBailey

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 12:52 PM

I'd love to see an "Icons of the Old West" release featuring some of the Columbia B-westerns from Buck Jones, Tim McCoy, Bill Elliott and Charles Starrett.

#18 of 261 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 04:47 PM

YOUNG WINSTON DANDY IN ASPIC GO-BETWEEN HIRELING THE RECKONING BLESS THE BEASTS AND THE CHILDREN RPM (these two should have been part of the Stanley Kramer box set) RIVERUN THE HAPPENING DAY IN THE DEATH OF JOE EGG IF EVER I SEE YOU AGAIN RUN OF THE COUNTRY DOCTOR'S WIVES LOVE MACHINE HOUSEKEEPING X,Y,Z DELUSION ONLY WHEN I LAUGH CHAPTER TWO (these two could be packaged as a Neil Simon set) DRIVE IN

#19 of 261 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,924 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 16 2009 - 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by walter o 

YOUNG WINSTON
DANDY IN ASPIC
GO-BETWEEN
HIRELING
THE RECKONING
BLESS THE BEASTS AND THE CHILDREN
RPM (these two should have been part of the Stanley Kramer box set)
RIVERUN
THE HAPPENING
DAY IN THE DEATH OF JOE EGG
IF EVER I SEE YOU AGAIN
RUN OF THE COUNTRY
DOCTOR'S WIVES
LOVE MACHINE
HOUSEKEEPING
X,Y,Z
DELUSION
ONLY WHEN I LAUGH
CHAPTER TWO (these two could be packaged as a Neil Simon set)
DRIVE IN

Top-notch, each and every one of them. 
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#20 of 261 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted November 16 2009 - 10:59 PM

All of the Blondie movies in their original film format (not those King Features Syndicate releases).  If I'm not mistaken, the original movies were owned by Columbia.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"