-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Black Friday 2009

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 03:04 AM

I have not seen a thread on this yet which makes me wonder if the economy is worse then I thought it was or if there are no good deals this year. I just started checking out the black Friday websites last night but I haven't decided what I am going to try and get this year. Any other Black Friday shoppers out there?

The Legend is better than reality!

#2 of 28 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 03:11 AM

I've been keeping up with it but haven't seen anything great this year. I've gotten much better deals already at a various one-day sales and specials than any of the leaked BF ads have.

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#3 of 28 Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 03:32 AM

A guy I work with told me that Wal-mart is going to stay open all night and let lines form for the various early bird specials. He said that after the trampling death last year that this is a new policy they are going with to stop people from getting hurt. I don't know if he is correct or not. Anyone heard anything about new Black Friday policies.
The Legend is better than reality!

#4 of 28 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,520 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 16 2009 - 05:38 AM

That would mean Walmart is going to be open on Thanksgiving? Seems like that's one of the few days they are usually closed (the others being Christmas and Easter).

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 28 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,635 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 16 2009 - 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm R View Post

That would mean Walmart is going to be open on Thanksgiving? Seems like that's one of the few days they are usually closed (the others being Christmas and Easter).

Don't quote me but from what I read, they are open on Thanksgiving solely to prevent a repeat of last years' incident.

#6 of 28 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,302 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 16 2009 - 06:21 AM

I'm getting almost daily emails from BlackFriday.info as the BF sales are revealed. We didn't go out last year; this year doesn't look good either. I have everything I need / what I want isn't on sale. But I look forward to sifting through all the ads next week to make sure there isn't a killer deal to get.

#7 of 28 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,033 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 16 2009 - 03:28 PM

Maybe target unless i can get the Oz and Wind blu's online instead.

facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 28 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted November 17 2009 - 03:11 AM

There are no big electronics I need this year but we'll be out there, we plan on going out around 3:30 in the am or so.

"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#9 of 28 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,652 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 06:43 AM

Just a FYI - I started the Black Friday 2009 thread for the usual HT-related items in the Bargains/Deals area.

Feel free to mention non-HT deals in this thread, or shopping strategies, or stories from braving the Black Friday crowds in this thread.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#10 of 28 Audioman321

Audioman321

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted November 21 2009 - 08:03 PM

i found a best black friday deal wesbsite you can search what you want to buy on it.
blackfriday2009sale.info
i am going to shopping at walmart at 5:00 o'oclock in the morning.

#11 of 28 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,302 posts

Posted November 21 2009 - 11:54 PM

BlackFriday.info, too. I've used it the past couple years.

#12 of 28 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,033 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 22 2009 - 12:54 AM

http://bfads.net/ is a very good one and they usualy get cease and desist orders every year.

facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 28 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,652 posts

Posted November 22 2009 - 02:58 AM

Wal-Mart already included their Black Friday ad circular in today's Sunday newspaper edition.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#14 of 28 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,302 posts

Posted November 22 2009 - 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD 

http://bfads.net/ is a very good one and they usualy get cease and desist orders every year.
Good site. Used them in the past but forgot about it. Registered and bookmarked. Look forward to scrutinizing these this Wednesday on my day off :)

#15 of 28 CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted November 22 2009 - 04:03 AM

So far it looks like the only "good deals" are to be had at Walmart for anything more than a 32" TV.  And thats too bad because there is just no deal that could get me in a walmart for black friday.

#16 of 28 RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted November 22 2009 - 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR ">

Don't quote me but from what I read, they are open on Thanksgiving solely to prevent a repeat of last years' incident.

#17 of 28 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,520 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 23 2009 - 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAn 

Walmart closes @ 6pm on Christmas Eve and is closed the entire Christmas Day. That day and a half are the only days they are closed, and are open on Easter. I work at Walmart and am lucky to be able to work this Black Friday. We've been instructed to call it "The Annual Event" now due to the tragedy last year.
Hours must vary by store/region, as I know my local stores are usually closed those days.

Perhaps they should stop trying to sweep it under the carpet and just call it "Bloody Friday." /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#18 of 28 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted November 23 2009 - 06:13 AM

Meh, Its a lean year for 2009. I'm getting somebody a Super Mario bros. Wii, and everybody else who rates high enough to get a gift is getting booze (because at least people will drink the booze before they regift it). Since wii games and booze rarely go on sale I don't expect to do much shopping black friday.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#19 of 28 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 23 2009 - 12:24 PM

I'm not wasting effort at a store.  I'll do it online and sleep Friday.  I've generally boycotted "black friday", this year more then most.  Though, I always come back Dec. 27 and go straight through the stores for returns.  Sometimes I snatch some sick bargains that way.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#20 of 28 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 24 2009 - 05:02 AM

I think I'll brave Walmart to score a $78 Magnavox Blu Ray player.  Cheap way to put a toe into the BD waters (that and Netflix) without busting this year's very tight budget. 

Regards,

Joe