Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Criterion Press Release: Howard's End (DVD)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,572 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 02:08 AM

Posted Image 
Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted November 24 2009 - 03:36 AM

Why no blu-ray???

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted November 24 2009 - 04:14 AM

Criterion' HOWARDS END Blu-ray was released on Nov. 3. I believe this and the forthcoming standard DVD have content identical to a prior Merchant Ivory release.  

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   DouglasBr

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted November 25 2009 - 10:00 AM

What's the point?  I have that release, it's perfectly fine.  Why this?

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 06:05 AM

^To allow the spine numbers of the SD and Blu-Ray line to correspond to each other. Otherwise there is no difference, aside from packaging and I assume menus. IIRC, they're doing a thing where you mail in your existing Merchant Ivory Collection copy of Howard's End and they send back the new rebranded Criterion Collection release.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   felipenor

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted February 23 2010 - 01:57 AM

And what was the spine number for the previous Howards End release?

By the way, I can't find the spine number for other Merchant Ivory films as well, such as The Bostonians and Maurice. Why's that?

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted February 23 2010 - 03:18 AM

I don't believe the Merchant Ivory stuff was ever given a spine number since the stuff came out under it's own branded line.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   asasq1212

asasq1212

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 23 2010 - 04:15 AM

Hello! welcome to our website; http://www.okayebay.com
I am very glad to see you here and explore good friendship & business relation with you.
we can supply wholesale nike shoes ,t-shirts,bags
The payment we accept paypal ,Western Union and money gram.
Here are brief introduction of our company:
Jordan 1-23 Air force one (AF1)Dunks Air force two (AF2) air max 95 air max 97 air max 2003 air max 90air max 91 ir1 max TN shox TL/TL2/TL3 shox monster shox turbo shox VCIII shox R4/R5 Shox NZ Timberlands polo predator bape lacoste burberry tuscano andrea redmoney LV etc.
1) high quality. All the Shoes we offer are of the grade AAA
2) safety. If the shoes can not pass the custom inspection, we will transit them again or we will refund the money you paid.
3) quick shipment. We have agreement with some international express Corporation, the shoes will be shipped within 24 hours
after we received your Payment. And the package will reach your side in 4-6working days.
4) lowest Price. We can give you competitive price based on equal conditions in china.
5) We are very serious business man, sure we are your very right cooperator.
Size: US 5- 13 usd dollars 36-46
Color: various
Packing: original box with retro cards
all the shoes is packed with original box,and the tags and style code number is 100%
correct,small mini order and even drop ship is available here . All the products are in good quality with low price.
We can deliver the shoes of our customers within 24 hours upon receiving the payment.
We never mind starting the business from minimum order even 1 pair.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   felipenor

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted February 23 2010 - 09:11 AM

You mean Criterion does not consider it part of the Criterion collection?

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted February 23 2010 - 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipenor 

You mean Criterion does not consider it part of the Criterion collection?

I don't think I'm making myself clear.  Back around 2005 or so, Criterion created a new branded line called The Merchant Ivory Collection.  These were high quality releases but distinctly seperate from The Criterion Collection.  The Merchant Ivory Collection entries were not individually numbered and in fact, the entire collection was not considered to be part of the Criterion Collection.  Needless to say it was comprised exclusively of Merchant Ivory films.

Fast foward now a few years and Criterion decides to put out Howards End on Blu Ray.  Well, the Merchant Ivory Collection is now defunct and they only want to do that one title for now.  What better solution than to simply add that title to the Criterion Collection?  Only problem is that if they only do BR then the collection numbers get thrown off because the SD is un-numbered from another collection.  So, they repurpose the old Merchant Ivory SD, slap a Criterion number on it and give it new cover art.  That's about where we are today.