-

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help deciding on best Audio setup for Blu-ray: Analog 7.1 or HDMI 1.1?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 dnav

dnav

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 14 2009 - 10:27 AM

I have a Denon AVR-4306 which supports Dolby D/DTS but HDMI 1.1. It also has SACD with 8 Analog channels.  I recently bought a new Plasma TV and a Blu-ray OPPO BDP-83 which also supports SACD with 8 Analog channels and HDMI 3.1.  The Blu-ray has Dolby D/DTS-HD built in.  I currently always have my rear surround channels on per mixing of DD for most everything I watch.
My question is:
1) Should I use the HDMI even though my Denon does not support 1.3?  I think that would eliminate the DD/DTS Lossless HD sound track.  If I use the 8 Analog the OPPO will pass the lossless direct to the speakers via the Denon,  Is that a better sound solution?

2) Will I lose the ablity to hear my Rear Surround speakers with the Analog setup unless the Blu-ray is in 6.1/7.1?

3) If I pass the video thru the Denon, will I lose anything from the 1.3 to 1.1 HDMI video?

#2 of 3 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,698 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted November 14 2009 - 10:48 AM

1) I would connect both the hdmi and the 7.1 analogs. I would use the 7.1's for TrueHD, MA and SACD/DVD-A and the  hdmi connection with everything else. Keep in mind that the OPPO's cross-over is set at 80 so make sure your speakers can handle that before hooking up the 7.1's.

2) I believe so. You would also lose the Audyssey, bass and treble controls, bass mngmnt and all other dsp type processing. The receiver would act as a volume control only. This is why I would only use the 7.1's for hi-res audio.

3) I don't think so. Yet. 1.3a did add Deep Color and some other video thing that I can't recall at the moment but as far as I know there isn't any BR discs which support Deep Color out yet so this isn't an issue (yet).
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 3 dnav

dnav

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 14 2009 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Gene,   Good Info!!