Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Receiver shutting off

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Clintononkyo

Clintononkyo

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 14 2009 - 04:14 AM

Question for anybody. During movies, when an action scene comes up and the volume increases, my Onkyo TX-SR606 just shuts off. I turn it right back on at a lower volume at it works fine. Have you, or anyone you know, have issues like this? And I am talking it shuts off in the 40-45 volume range. I have PolkAudio RM6750 hooked up to it.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted November 14 2009 - 04:28 AM

This is usually caused by a single strand of speaker wire touching something it shouldn't. It's a protection built in, so you don't fry your receiver. Double check both ends of each speaker wire. Retwist and reconnect them, being very careful when doing so. Very easy for one of the single strands, to get pushed to the side, while doing this.
Good luck!

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   dnav

dnav

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 14 2009 - 10:43 AM

I had a simiular problem with my Denon AVR-4306.  I found that I had selected both a Surround A+B setting in which over loaded the single speakers I had wired to both inputs.  I did this to allow the speakers to be used as Rear Surround in 7.1 and as Surround in a 5.1.  The loud action would turn off the system.  Correcting the setup to only use the A speaker and not both A+B fixed the problem.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele

Producer

• 3,184 posts

Posted November 14 2009 - 10:44 AM

My Onkyo TX-787 would always go into thermal protect when I ran my front L/R's as Large and had the shorting staps installed to tie the crossovers together (the 10" passive subs are on a separate crossover network from the Mids/Highs) and the receiver simply did not have the guts to drive them.

I now run an Onkyo SR806 with two of the channels reassigned for Bi-Amp, I run the mains with the straps removed and drive the 10" subs off two channels and the mids/highs off two more channels and everything is hunky dory.

There can be numerous issues that can cause thermal protect, like dead shorts as has been described, but another big issue is sometimes the receiver just doesn't have the guts to do the task at hand.

When I ran my 787 I added the M282 power amp and never had any more issues with it going into protect. Simply stated, for my setup I need four channels of power for my main two speakers.

Brett DiMichele
brettd@nospamyukonwaltz.com (remove nospam)

Too Much to list!
My PhotoBucket              My Buttkicker Wireless Advance Kit Review