What's new

Subwoofer not working on my Pioneer Elite reciever VSX 27TX?? (1 Viewer)

2Quiet

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Sub is "turned on" via the on screen menu.

Test noise is set to hightest sub volume, and it shakes the room.

But in the THX mode, the sub does not work.

I had is then connected to the B speaker outs, and it worked. BUT B shuts off in surround mode.

I now have it tied into my A speakers.

I have not clue what I missing???

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Does your sub have a pre-amp level input? Yes, then connect it to the LFE/sub output on the receiver.

2Quiet

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Yes it does have pre amp in, and it was connected to the sub out.

And when I do a surround test, using the noise, I can hear it, and adjust via the on screen menu.

BUT when I watch a movie, nothing at all, no matter how loud, how much action, nothing????

I have no clue, driving me crazy.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Are your speakers set to "large" or "small" on the receiver? If you're using a powered sub, you should have the speakers set to "small" regardless of their physical dimensions. Setting them to "large" sends the low frequencies to the standard speakers, essentially by-passing the subwoofer.

Regards,

Joe

2Quiet

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino /forum/thread/294904/subwoofer-not-working-on-my-pioneer-elite-reciever-vsx-27tx#post_3628231
Are your speakers set to "large" or "small" on the receiver? If you're using a powered sub, you should have the speakers set to "small" regardless of their physical dimensions. Setting them to "large" sends the low frequencies to the standard speakers, essentially by-passing the subwoofer.
Regards,
Joe
Hi Joe,
Thanks,
I do have it set to large as I am running huge Cerwin Vega AT15's (15" woofers) for the front's, so for music they are great.
Even with the Large setting, wouldn't the very low freq's still hit the sub? I have it set to 80 HZ.
And does the Large/Small setting only effect the surround mode? I would assume yes, so in stereo mode I would get full sound to my main speakers.
Would appreciate your input.
Thanks in advance.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The large/small setting impacts all modes. In stereo mode, the large setting takes the sub out of the equation all together. When watching 5.1 movies, only the LFE signals are sent to the sub. Changing the speakers to small routs everything below your crossover frequency to your sub.

Yes, you have some bassy speakers for your mains, but I am agreeing with Joe that you need to change the setting. Routing all of your bass to the sub will relieve the stress from your receiver's amp section. It takes a huge amount of power to amplify bass signals. This will clean up the mids and highs so that all of the sound is cleaner.

JoshinDenver

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
@Robert:

Thanks for the above reply - it helps me understand some basics. I've been trying to figure out whether to set my fronts (and center) to "large" or "small" (I have a Pioneer Elite VSX 23TXH). I have large floor standing fronts - not as large as 2Quiet, but large - and was wondering why I should or shouldn't have some of the mid-low frequencies come from the fronts since they're more than capable of handling it.

So the consensus in this thread is to set all 7 channels to "small", thus sending all the lows to the powered sub - correct?

Related to this, I have the receiver crossover set to 80 HZ, but the speaker manuals say to have it higher. If I set it to 100 (or 150), as are the options for my receiver - that would direct EVEN MORE of the lower frequencies to the sub - correct?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most people have all of their speakers set to Small.

You can set your crossover higher but you may be able to tell where the bass is coming from. 80 hz is used by most but not all. Some go lower, some higher. Right now, all frequencies 80hz and lower are routed to the sub.

LD9000

Auditioning
I'm not sure if you've fixed the problem yet -- but in the Pioneer Elite set up menu, while setting your crossover, speaker size, etc etc -- there is a setting that reads -- "SW Plus" .... this should be found in the setting where you dictate the size of the speakers (large, small etc as discussed here). If you set your speakers to Large, you need to set it also to "SW Plus" or the sub won't kick in. Drove me crazy too when I first got mine.
By the way -- I set my fronts to Large, because even with the crossover to my sub set to 100, it definitely sounds better with the fronts set to Large, everything else is set to Small.

Funvacation

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hope you don't mind me joining in the conversation, but I also have the same problem with my Pioneer VSX-80TXV Receiver (about 3.5 years old). However, in my case, it just stopped providing bass through my Def Tech Supercube III subwoofer without any change to the settings. I have spoken to Pioneer directly and ran through setting the Sub to the setting, reset the channel levels to +10dB for the sub, upped my crossover and set the Loudness to . I seem to now be getting a random subwoofer output from the Rx (Random with electronics is not good...). Like the other person, I can get the room to vibrate during the test mode so I assume that the sub is working. When speaking to the Pioneer rep, he wasn't as concerned about the small/large settings for the front speakers, but mine was initially set to small anyway. I do want to also note that when it is working, it is not as powerful as it used to be (even with the settings now maxed out a bit). If anyone hears of a solution or that it is a common problem with the Pioneer Rx's, please let us all know. Hate spending more money again (and Cnet is recommending a Pioneer for the price....argh). Thank you.

RoniMims

Auditioning
Real Name
Roni Mims
Hope you all don't mind my post as well. Last week I bought a VSX Pioneer receiver because my Sony had a short in it. My Sony use to make the sub-woofer vibrate the walls. I hooked this receiver up and have done all the speaker set ups like it said and I don't get the loudness anymore either. There is some, but not much. My sub-woofer is very capable and now it sounds wimpy....I sure hope someone knows what to do. One site I looked on said you need another amp for the subwoofer. I don't know.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by RoniMims
Hope you all don't mind my post as well. Last week I bought a VSX Pioneer receiver because my Sony had a short in it. My Sony use to make the sub-woofer vibrate the walls. I hooked this receiver up and have done all the speaker set ups like it said and I don't get the loudness anymore either. There is some, but not much. My sub-woofer is very capable and now it sounds wimpy....I sure hope someone knows what to do. One site I looked on said you need another amp for the subwoofer. I don't know.
You ran the MCACC calibration? Did you follow the suggestions above and set the speakers to small if they weren't? Which Sony sub do you have?

If your sub is boomy, then you will have an issue. The auto calibration uses the loudest frequency when setting levels. My sub had a driver inductance peak of 14db at 55hz. When the calibration was complete, there was very little bass in movies. Once I added a parametric EQ to flatten my sub's frequency response, I re-ran the MCACC calibration and all was better.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I just read from the top and I want to ask for clarification on one point. Receiver is the VSX-23TXH. My front speakers are 22-year-old Vandersteen 2Cs which I love as much as ever, not only for conventional stereo listening (turntable, tape, FM, etc.) but now also as fronts incorporated into a 7.0 system -- which will be 7.1 as soon as I get around to acquiring an SVS or other appropriate sub. Therefore, they're currently set to Large, and because I'm not trying to shake the house with extreme content and volume, they're sounding as wonderful as ever. I should add that I'm running the Vandersteens with separate power amps from the pre-outs. (The amps aren't exactly high end, but they get the job done and take the workload off the Pioneer.)

So finally, here's my question: Once I acquire the sub and make the appropriate setting changes, how will I be listening to conventional stereo sources such as turntable and tapes? Right now it's just through the Vandersteens with the receiver set to Stereo. (It's fun to play with ProLogic, etc., on some material, but for "serious" conventional listening I stick with stereo.) Will I select stereo, but the bass will still go to the sub? Is this a good or bad thing from a purist standpoint? (Or perhaps the question should be: Is such a purist standpoint a good or bad thing?)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you set up the Pioneer with the speakers to Large, then the only time the sub will be utilized is when there is an LFE channel on the source. All stereo bass will go to the mains.

Purist? Depends on what you want. My mains can go down to 35hz but I still have them set to small. I'd rather use the sub for all bass frequencies. Try both and choose what sounds best.

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Some Pioneers have a setting called "LFE ATT". If that is set to "On" or "Max" you are attenuating (sofening) the LFE signal. Go through the set-up on the receiver and check to make sure the LFE attenuation is set to "Off".

I am also having some wimpy bass but mine is occuring in my Pioneer VSX-41 when in the 7.1 analog mode. I must set the Sub level to +9dB to get the bass to match the other channels.

RoniMims

Auditioning
Real Name
Roni Mims
I have the VSX-820 with the wimpy sounding bass. My subwoofer is an MTX 100 watt amplifier and when I had a Sony receiver it would shake the walls. NOT ANYMORE. I am absolutely not a genius when it comes to this stuff, but I know a thing or two. This is aggravating! Why would they make this sooooooo difficult. Speakers are set to small. I am going to see if I can locate this "LFE ATT" and if it is On and turn it off. If this doesn't work, BEST BUY can have this Pioneer back. Any suggestions on a receiver that will pump that subwoofer. I really didn't want to go with Sony again but I guess I can. I'm in the 300 dollar range. I like that boomy bass sound.

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by RoniMims
I have the VSX-820 with the wimpy sounding bass. My subwoofer is an MTX 100 watt amplifier and when I had a Sony receiver it would shake the walls. NOT ANYMORE. I am absolutely not a genius when it comes to this stuff, but I know a thing or two. This is aggravating! Why would they make this sooooooo difficult. Speakers are set to small. I am going to see if I can locate this "LFE ATT" and if it is On and turn it off. If this doesn't work, BEST BUY can have this Pioneer back. Any suggestions on a receiver that will pump that subwoofer. I really didn't want to go with Sony again but I guess I can. I'm in the 300 dollar range. I like that boomy bass sound.
RoniMims,

Take a look at pages 39 and 44 of your owner's manual on the VSX-820. There you will find the information regarding your bass issues I referenced above. Also look at page 45. Adjust the Sub level up to a desired level and before you know it you'll be pumping out the bass with the Pioneer. I assume that you are sending digital signals to the receiver either with dig. coax, optical or HDMI. Pioneers do a much better job of bass management when fed via digital sources.

Good Luck.

RoniMims

Auditioning
Real Name
Roni Mims
I went to Best Buy and spoke with a geek. Turns out that I was only connecting the subwoofer with the left terminals only and needed a splitter to connect both left and right. Bought a 50 dollar Monster splitter and Boom!
You all have been great! I have learned a lot about this system through all of you and your help has been so very appreciated. I now understand this Pioneer better than I ever could. The sound quality is all that I expected from this brand and I can say I'm a happy camper now. I've gotten the big bass sound and all is well. WHAT A GREAT SITE THIS IS! Thank you everyone!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Take the Monster splitter back and and go to Radio Shack or Wal-Mart and buy a splitter for under $10.
2. 99% of the time, the L&R inputs on a sub are immediately summed just after the signal enters the plate amp. All you did was split the signal in half, send it to both inputs and then had it combined in the amp. Most of the time the same thing is accomplished by turning up the level knob on the sub amp. If you had maxed out this setting and you still didn't get the performance, then I would have suggested a splitter.

zebraboyzebra

Auditioning
Real Name
zebraboyzebra
Make sure you put the reciever settings to PLUS NOT YES on the reciever settings. You will get good base for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks