Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Star Trek

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 of 59 OFFLINE   PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts

Posted November 13 2009 - 07:01 AM

ISO "Lost" ARG prints from Kevin Tong, Olly Moss, Eric Tan and Methane Studios.  PM me if you want to sell!

All reviews done on a Marantz VP11S1 1080p DLP projector.

Displays professionally calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion AV.

#2 of 59 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,802 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 13 2009 - 07:14 AM

Sounds like a good disc. Looking forward to it!

#3 of 59 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,056 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted November 13 2009 - 07:36 AM

This is at the top of my Christmas list - unfortunately that means I have to wait until then to see it.  The wait is KILLING me!

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 59 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,214 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 13 2009 - 08:53 AM

I wonder if this will sell much? 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 59 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 907 posts

Posted November 13 2009 - 09:08 AM

Great review, Pat!  You provide a great summary of the plot without providing spoilers which I know must have been a challenge. Although I enjoyed this film, I did not enjoy it so much as did many of my friends.  The changes to Star Trek canon did not bother me so much as I thought elements of the plot were fairly contrived.  In spite of my negative impressions, I think it is a great film and Pat's review is right on the money.

#6 of 59 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted November 13 2009 - 02:50 PM

Yes, right on the money, Pat. Great review. Great movie. JJ & Co. can do no wrong. Seeing this at my local IMAX theater was the best movie going experience I've had since Jurassic Park. Can't wait to own it on Blu.

#7 of 59 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted November 13 2009 - 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Southpaw 

Yes, right on the money, Pat. Great review. Great movie. JJ & Co. can do no wrong.
You must not have seen Cloverfield then.

As for Star Trek, I'll be picking this up come Tuesday. Such an amazing film in all aspects.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#8 of 59 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,426 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted November 13 2009 - 07:47 PM

Beauty review Pat! I cannot wait to get this home to watch.
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#9 of 59 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted November 14 2009 - 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ron-P 

You must not have seen Cloverfield then.

As for Star Trek, I'll be picking this up come Tuesday. Such an amazing film in all aspects.

Yup, saw it and loved it.
Although JJ & Co. had less to do with Cloverfield then say, MI 3, Star Trek, Lost, etc.

#10 of 59 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted November 14 2009 - 11:07 AM

I absolutely loved this film when I saw it at the local IMAX theatre.  I will definitely buy this one on release day.  Now I just have to decide whether to get the Future Shop steelbook or the Best Buy Canada Enterprise model version......or both! 

Recently watched- The Sentinel(2006), The Lovely Bones, Band Of Brothers, Scream Blacula Scream, Blacula, Maleficent 3D, Lake Placid, Running Scared(1986), Heroes: Season 2, Lock,Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, True Blood: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Trek(2009), Game Of Thrones: Season 1

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific

"Since my customary farewell would appear oddly self-serving, I shall simply say...Good luck."

#11 of 59 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,594 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted November 14 2009 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the review. Star Trek might just be my favourite film of the year, looking forward to picking up the Blu from my local HMV monday.

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#12 of 59 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted November 15 2009 - 08:01 AM

I watched it for the first time today and it blew me away. I never saw anything of Star Trek, but I was surprised that I already knew quite a lot of the characters. It does help that this crew is the best known one of the Enterprise. The picture was great, but the amount of lense flares was just too much. I actually like those, even though they're an imperfection, but put them in every shot and they become annoying. But they did help sell the CG shots. Those looked absolutely amazing.
The sound must've made my neighbors quite upset as well. The finale, for instance
 with the black hole and the Enterprise blasting their way out of it
made my subwoofer do things I didn't think were possible. Dialog might have been mixed a tad low, but then there's no alternative than to turn up the volume. And I didn't really mind that.
The extras are nice and comprehensive too. About the deleted scenes, I though that some of those should have been let in. The birth of Spock, for example, is a great little scene that would've made the movie about both Kirk and Spock even more. Other things would just have clarified certain details, like Kirk using the green girl to cheat for the test. The director says that you don't need to see how he cheats, but as the audience you wouldn't even know how he could cheat a simulator. So a bit of clarity would've improved it. The Klingon prison would be very cool too. Those costumes are great and it explores Nero a bit more, while he comes off a bit more bland than he would've been, I think. Just opinions, of course.
But nonetheless it's a great movie, and a great Blu-ray too.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#13 of 59 OFFLINE   Ed Faver

Ed Faver

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted November 15 2009 - 09:51 AM

Got my shipping notice from Amazon yesterday. I can't wait to get my hands on this, both for the feature and the extras!

#14 of 59 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted November 15 2009 - 10:22 AM

Ed - You got your notice already? I thought I would have received mine by now but my order isn't even in "shipping soon" status yet. Last week, they sent Up on Friday before release and I got it on Tuesday. They guaranteed release date delivery on Star Trek as well but unless they send it overnight, that guarantee won't mean much.

#15 of 59 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,910 posts

Posted November 15 2009 - 10:49 AM

Me too - with Amazon Prime, it promises that it will be delivered on release day. I feel a sick day coming on Tuesday :)

Originally Posted by Ed Faver 

Got my shipping notice from Amazon yesterday. I can't wait to get my hands on this, both for the feature and the extras!

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#16 of 59 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted November 15 2009 - 01:10 PM

Targets Blu-ray comes with a model of the Enterprise. Best Buy's comes with 4 Starfleet badges. Not sure where to go, I want all the goodies.

I'd normally get mine from Amazon but not this time, no goodies with their Blu-ray.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#17 of 59 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted November 15 2009 - 01:49 PM

The badges are a great collector's piece IMO, I pre-ordered that set for $22 or so. But Target has such a good price on their Enterprise toy that holds the discs in the saucer, I'm thinking about picking it up as well. That said, I have no doubt the ship-case will be of the poorest build and quality. 

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#18 of 59 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,484 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Joseph J.D [url=/forum/thread/294886/htf-blu-ray-review-star-trek#post_3628270]
My exact dilemma!

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#19 of 59 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,653 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 02:56 AM

I'm a little amazed by the amount of promotion this DVD/Blu Ray release is getting. A first almost for Star Trek home media. I remember in the early days of TOS Star Trek films coming to VHS and LD and the TV ads. The new ads are really promoting the new film's DVD/BD release, calling it the blockbuster film of the year. It's just not normal to see Star Trek do so well! The massive success of the new film of course makes this a huge seller for the holiday season. Nice to see this happening to Star Trek. It can only help re-ignite interest in the whole franchise for the casual fan.

I'm torn for the Best Buy gift set or just 3 disc BD set. The extra $16 for the badges isn't too bad. I'll be at Best Buy shortly to catch the doorbuster pricing.

Will the mainstream success of Star Trek spoil it?

#20 of 59 OFFLINE   PatW

PatW

Screenwriter

• 1,542 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma 

My exact dilemma!

Yeah, I had that problem deciding too but I ended up getting the FS steelbook. I just wish they could somehow incorporate that info on the back (that is easy to remove) inside somehow. I don't mean to be anal or anything but that info is perhaps useful to someone who just wants to read a brief synopsis of the movie. I love the steelcase though, very simple and elegant. Since I already have the TOS on dvd I had no plans of purchasing them on bluray but guess what! The price was excellent and I just couldn't resist so I picked up Seasons 1 & 2. I'm still debating on the movies since I have them all on dvd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users