Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

After nearly 40 years of whimpers rather than roars, will the Lion (MGM) finally be silenced?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

• 7,813 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 12 2009 - 05:35 AM

Looks like the long needed end of MGM is finally about to occur. It'll be interesting to see which studio picks up the remaining catalog, which mostly consists of:

- post-1986 MGM films
- most of the post-1952 United Artists catalog
- post-1981 Orion Pictures titles

My bet would be on Warner, Fox or Sony getting the catalog, in that order. And that's generally a good thing, though I wonder how much Warner would be able to dip into that catalog considering how large theirs already is.

Some films of note from that library:

- James Bond franchise
- Rocky franchise
- Most of Woody Allen's pre-90s films
- Lots of Billy Wilder films
- Oscar winners, fan favorites such as Platoon, Fargo, Dances with Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Raging Bull, The Princess Bride, RoboCop, The Usual Suspects, 12 Angry Men, In the Heat of the Night, The Graduate,
- Leone's Dollars Trilogy
- Pink Panther franchise

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 473 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 06:06 AM

War Games
Buckaroo Bonzai
The Manhattan Project
Valley Girl

We've already got good Blu-Ray releases from a few that you mention, but we've yet to see these above appear. 

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Worth

• 1,462 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 06:33 AM

Here's hoping Warner or, ideally, Sony snaps up MGM's film library.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,767 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 12 2009 - 06:37 AM

A lion is expected to live 15 years in the wild and 30 years in a zoo. Yet Leo the Lion has hung on for 85 years.

I hope Time Warner becomes its final resting place, as they already own MGM's real legacy and would do this library justice on Blu-Ray.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

• 2,049 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Worth 

Here's hoping Warner or, ideally, Sony snaps up MGM's film library.
Put me in for Sony as well.  They've been the best by far in treating all catalog films, great and small, with an equally high standard.  
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

• 4,275 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 08:27 AM

Definitely Sony, since neither Warner nor Fox has any interest in releasing catalogue titles any more.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Greg_M

• 1,193 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 08:39 AM

The only good thing about WB buying the United Artist library is that it would once again be in the hands of George Feltenstein.
The bad part would be that WB already has more library titles then one company can handle and obtaining UA would give them an unfair market advantage over the remaining companies.

Better FOX would obtain the UA library – they had the rights back in the 80’s and are familiar with the library, plus they current distribute MGM/UA product. This would also even out the balance of market share:
WB (including MGM, New Line, Orion and UA) vs Fox, Paramount & Sony
Universal has the smallest share and Disney is mostly geared to family product

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

• 5,881 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 11:53 AM

It's too bad that an institution as old as MGM is going to disappear. In fact, I think it is disastrous because it means an industry that suffers from too much concentration is only going to get even worse.  
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 12:37 PM

I wonder what's going to happen to their TV shows that are still in production, like Stargate: Universe?

"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

• 5,888 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow 

Put me in for Sony as well.  They've been the best by far in treating all catalog films, great and small, with an equally high standard.  
Sure seems that way so far.  Warner has been a bit too spotty w/ quality so far.

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users