Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help Finding 80's Album

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted November 12 2009 - 01:52 AM

Can anyone recommend (or tell me how to search for) a compilation CD that contains all or most of these tracks:

1) Come On Eileen (Dexy's Midnight Runners)
2) Head Over Heels (Tears for Fears)
3) Heart of the Moment (Asia)
4) Something About You (Level 42)
5) Radio Ga Ga (Queen)
6) Solid (Ashford & Simpson)

Thanks!

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted November 12 2009 - 02:57 AM

Was there a specific CD you had in mind or are you just looking for those songs?

You could always check to see if Amazon.com has those tracks for download purchase, and then burn your own CD. Their mp3s are generally high quality.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted November 12 2009 - 03:23 AM

Thanks Joe. I'm actually looking for a CD that collects those songs and others like it, something like a best-of the 80's, one collection so I don't have to track down and/or buy multiple CDs. I'm not really into burning downloads (yet) - I'm one of those dinosaurs who still buys albums.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,522 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 05:13 AM

You would probably be interested in either the Sedated in the 80s series of CDs or the New Wave Hits of the 80s series
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted November 12 2009 - 08:17 AM

Yeah, thanks Christopher - I will look into the "Sedated" series. So I should look under New Wave for this type of music in the store I assume, not "Pop" like I've been doing for years.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 13 2009 - 01:03 PM

Don't even bother looking in stores, you'll need to use ebay, half.com, or Amazon resellers to get Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the 80s, or the Sedated in the 80s series, or the Living In Oblivion series.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,499 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 02:38 AM

Some other options:
Pure 80's Hits

Sounds of the Eighties (I think it was Time-Life)

Totally 80's

Then Totally 80's

20th Century Masters: The Eighties

I find that public libraries generally carry LOTS of these titles, as do used CD stores.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted November 17 2009 - 05:38 AM

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I actually don't expect to find this type of music in any store although there's a pretty good independent shop near where I work that has a good selection. Gotta tell ya, some of these tunes were pretty popular back in the day and plenty of them still get airplay on the radio so you would think they wouldn't be so hard to find. I did find a CD called World of Dance that contained two of the tracks I wanted on Amazon so I'm happy.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 08:34 PM

My impression is that it is a licensing nightmare to take on a comprehensive hits collection. When Rhino did the Just Can't Get Enough series for example, they had the rights to those songs for only X number of years -- just long enough to get them out. In fact by the time the last volumes were being released, the licensing rights for the songs on the earlier volumes had already expired, so they couldn't make more of the earlier volumes -- they couldn't ever make a "complete box set". Most stores probably never had all 15 volumes at the same time. There was just a brief window for each volume.

What you tend to find are many 1 or 2 disc hits collections that present the same old songs -- songs which the artists license very often, and very casually.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now