Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Connecting Panasonic TC-P42S1, SC-PT753, and Time Warner Cable Box

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   cadecres

cadecres

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 11 2009 - 07:10 AM

Quick question regarding hooking up the following devices for someone more technologically capable than myself:

Panasonic PT-753 Home Theater with Surround Sound System (1 HDMI AV-Out Port + some red+yellow+white ports);
Panasonic Viera TC-P42S1 television (3 HDMI ports, 1 squarish-looking Digital Audio out port which I've never seen before + some red+yellow+white ports);
and a Time Warner Cable Box: Explorer, 8300 HD (1 squarish optical audio out port + some red+yellow+white ports).

Is there any way to wire these three together such that I can get the surround sound system to work while I'm watching cable tv and not just when only watching a DVD with the surround sound system?

Infinite thanks,
Cory

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,136 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted November 11 2009 - 09:34 AM

Hi Cory, From what I can gather about the PT-753 online, it does not contain any digital audio inputs - only stereo (red/white RCA).  The best you can get from this would be Dolby ProLogic (or ProLogic II which I think the PT-753 supports).  Simply run a pair of stereo RCA jacks from the back of the cable box to the PT-753 Aux. inputs.  When you watch TV, turn the volume on the TV all the way down, and switch the input on the PT-753 to Aux. (using the "Select" button). The square digital audio port is a Toslink digital optical port.  If your surround sound system had a digital input, you would use that instead, and you would get full 5.1 on any HD stations that included 5.1 audio tracks.  (Standard definition stations don't broadcast 5.1 so really, you'll only be missing 5.1 on HD channels).

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   cadecres

cadecres

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 02:53 PM

Got it; it all works now - I didn't know I could run both an HD out for the video to the TV and the red/white stereo jacks as well, I thought it was an either/or deal.  Thanks much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users