What's new

Most Episodes with no Season Set DVD Releases (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I put a little list together of shows with 100 or more episodes that have not be released on DVD without any complete season sets. No best ofs. No "TV favorites". Only U.S. releases. At least one complete season released. For obvious reasons I didn't include game shows, talk shows, soaps, variety shows, series done mostly live, etc.

Lassie - 587
Death Valley Days - 532
Ozzie and Harriet - 435
G.E. Theatre - 293
Burns and Allen - 291 (including 1st 2 live seasons)
Dragnet (1950s Version) - 276
Fireside Theatre - 268
Jack Benny - 256 (also includes live episodes)
The Virginian - 249
The F.B.I. - 240
Falcon Crest - 227
Life of Riley (Bendix) - 217
Family Matters - 215
The Millionaire - 207
77 Sunset Strip - 205
Alice - 202
The Lineup (a/k/a San Francisco Beat) - 201
Tales of Wells Fargo - 201
Dr. Kildare - 191
Barnaby Jones - 178
Love That Bob - 173
LA Law - 171
Medical Center - 170
Marcus Welby M.D. - 169
Adventures of Rin Tin Tin - 164
Step By Step - 160
Bachelor Father - 157
December Bride - 157
Highway Patrol - 156
Lawman - 156
Sea Hunt - 156
Sheriff of Cochise/U.S. Marshall - 156
Ben Casey - 153
Trapper John M.D. - 151
Webster - 150
Cold Case - 147+
Dobie Gillis - 147
Dennis The Menace - 146
Sgt. Bilko - 142
In The Heat of the Night - 142
Chicago Hope - 141
Judging Amy - 138
Hawaiian Eye - 134
The Defenders - 132
Our Miss Brooks - 130
Four Star Playhouse - 129
Moesha - 127
Sisters - 127
The Gale Storm Show (a/k/a Oh Susannah) - 126
My Little Margie - 126
Maverick - 124
The Steve Harvey Show - 123
Yes Dear - 122
I Led 3 Lives - 117
State Trooper - 117
Whirlybirds - 117
The Wonder Years - 115
Head of the Class - 114
Lou Grant - 114
One on One - 113
Wild Bill Hickok - 113
Eight is Enough - 112
Grace Under Fire - 112
Amen - 111
The Hogan Family - 110
The Parkers - 110
Bat Masterson - 108
Kit Carson - 104
The People's Choice - 104
Private Secretary - 104
Police Story - 104
The Farmer's Daughter - 101
Six Million Dollar Man - 100
Unhappily Ever After - 100

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /forum/thread/294791/most-episodes-with-no-season-set-dvd-releases#post_3626833
It's such b.s.--all of this and much more should be available.
Well, if you look carefully at the list, a few things become apparent. Many shows are either controlled by Warner or Fox, 2 companies that really don't do a lot with catalogue titles. Also apparent are the large number of fifties shows, which just do not have enough recognition with the majority of the DVD buyers to make them profitable. Only a handful of the shows are CBS/Paramount, which really is the only company these days that's been aggressive with their properties. And of those, Barnaby Jones should be announced some time soon.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Well, its a year later and we can knock the following titles off of the list:

State Trooper, Dennis the Menace, The Virginian, Barnaby Jones, Marcus Welby, Highway Patrol, Webster, Sergeant Bilko, Falcon Crest, Family Matters and Six Million Dollar Man. Hopefully with the Warner shows, we will begin to see some movement with the BOD program with regards to TV series and many will come from that route.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Tales Of Wells Fargo though never had a "complete season" release. It was just a "best of" for the color season without being the complete one in addition to the "Best Of" for the other seasons.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Jack P
Tales Of Wells Fargo though never had a "complete season" release. It was just a "best of" for the color season without being the complete one in addition to the "Best Of" for the other seasons.

Well, the reason for the "best of" on the Color hour season was the fact that Universal only stuck up color prints for some of the episodes, and the rest were in B&W when they aired on the Canadian "Lone Star" channel.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Pardon me for asking, but where is Naked City? It DID get some releases back in the early days of TV on DVD, but never a complete season that I'm aware of. Plus everything that was released is out of print.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I guess it's a little hard to consider Naked City when it still has collectively 60% of its hour long run out.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat
Pardon me for asking, but where is Naked City? It DID get some releases back in the early days of TV on DVD, but never a complete season that I'm aware of. Plus everything that was released is out of print.
That also brings up the point as to if its considered as 2 series or as one. The 39 half hours have always been syndicated separately from the 99 hours so for the sake of my list, I looked at them as 2 separate entities, thereby leaving the hours one short of making the centennial mark.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
I put a little list together of shows with 100 or more episodes that have not be released on DVD without any complete season sets. No best ofs. No "TV favorites". Only U.S. releases. At least one complete season released. For obvious reasons I didn't include game shows, talk shows, soaps, variety shows, series done mostly live, etc. Lassie - 587 (Classic Media) Death Valley Days - 532 (Borax Corp.) Ozzie and Harriet - 435 (Family Heirs) G.E. Theatre - 293 (Universal) Burns and Allen - 291 (including 1st 2 live seasons) (Sony) Dragnet (1950s Version) - 276 (Universal) Fireside Theatre - 268 (MGM?) Jack Benny - 256 (also includes live episodes) (Universal) Life of Riley (Bendix) - 217 (Fox) The Millionaire - 207 (CBS) 77 Sunset Strip - 205 (WB) The Lineup (a/k/a San Francisco Beat) - 201 (CBS) Dr. Kildare - 191 (WB) Love That Bob - 173 (Universal) LA Law - 171 (Fox) Empty Nest - 170 (Disney) Adventures of Rin Tin Tin - 164 (Unknown) Step By Step - 160 (WB) Bachelor Father - 157 (Universal) December Bride - 157 (CBS) Lawman - 156 (WB) Sheriff of Cochise/U.S. Marshall - 156 (CBS) Cold Case - 156 (WB) Ben Casey - 153 (CBS) Trapper John M.D. - 151 (Fox) In The Heat of the Night - 142 (MGM) Chicago Hope - 141 (Fox) Naked City - 138 (Unknown) Judging Amy - 138 (Fox) Hawaiian Eye - 134 (WB) The Defenders - 132 (CBS) Our Miss Brooks - 130 (CBS) Four Star Playhouse - 129 (Fox) Sisters - 127 (WB) The Gale Storm Show (a/k/a Oh Susannah) - 126 (Granada) My Little Margie - 126 (Orphan Show) The Steve Harvey Show - 123 (Sony) Yes Dear - 122 (Fox) Batman - 120 (Fox) I Led 3 Lives - 117 (MGM) Whirlybirds - 117 (CBS) The Wonder Years - 115 (Fox) Head of the Class - 114 (WB) Lou Grant - 114 (Fox) One on One - 113 (CBS) Wild Bill Hickok - 113 (Sony) Grace Under Fire - 112 (Carsey-Warner) Amen - 111 (Universal) The Hogan Family - 110 (WB) The Parkers - 110 (CBS) Kit Carson - 104 (Universal) The People's Choice - 104 (CBS) Private Secretary - 104 (Fox) The Farmer's Daughter - 101 (Sony) Unhappily Ever After - 100 (WB)
Getting better but there's still an awful lot of shows that had very long and successful runs that have not come out in even one season set.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'd be interested (to one degree or another) in every one of the top 10 shows listed; 18 of the top 30; and 23 out of the entire updated list above.
Technically, In the Heat of the Night should come off the list because the first (short) season has been released. But I'd dearly love to see the entire series released and would buy it in a heartbeat.
Gary "gosh, it's scary how many shows are still unreleased - at least in season set form - that I'd still be tempted to indulge in (much will power would be needed to not go broke)" O.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I know this doesn't really count, but "My Secret Identity" had 72 episodes with no DVD's I'd love to finally get season sets of this show. Maybe the possibility of some cast commentaries. or reunion videos.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Here's some more for you for you (All have seen partial DVD Releases) Baywatch (242 Episodes) The Beverly Hillbillies (274 Episodes) Ironside (199 Episodes) My Three Sons (378 Episodes) Petticoat Junction (222 Episodes) Quincy: M.E. (148 Episodes)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i did some investigating, cuz i did not think that highway to heaven had been released. here in the states and one other area, the first 3 seasons were done, but the syndicated versions were used. they did not release 4 and 5, due to poor sales. in europe, the broadcast versions were used. and the whole show was released, and did well. now, let me see - here in the states where it was made and has memories, it was not liked. but in europe, where they probably never had seen it before, it sold well. now i wonder if the one difference of syndicated versus actual show made any difference ???????????????

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
jimmyjet said:
i did some investigating, cuz i did not think that highway to heaven had been released. here in the states and one other area, the first 3 seasons were done, but the syndicated versions were used. they did not release 4 and 5, due to poor sales. in europe, the broadcast versions were used. and the whole show was released, and did well. now, let me see - here in the states where it was made and has memories, it was not liked. but in europe, where they probably never had seen it before, it sold well. now i wonder if the one difference of syndicated versus actual show made any difference ???????????????
Any particular country in Europe? I would be interested in that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks