What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1 2 3 (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Timothy, thanks.
I missed this movie in the theater (also, because I hardly ever go there anymore), so I wondered how it is.
Based on your review, I think I will order it. Just prepare myself for that second half.

Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this in a movie theater and have been a fan of the original for 35 years. With that said, I don't know how it pales to the original? Though the basic plotline are the same, they're quite different in a lot of ways that I can appreciate as a film lover. I received my BRD of it last week and will be watching it shortly as my viewing list is overwhelming me for the moment.:)

Anyhow, thanks for the review.

Crawdaddy

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

I watched this in a movie theater and have been a fan of the original for 35 years. With that said, I don't know how it pales to the original? Though the basic plotline are the same, they're quite different in a lot of ways that I can appreciate as a film lover. I received my BRD of it last week and will be watching it shortly as my viewing list is overwhelming me for the moment.:)

Anyhow, thanks for the review.

Crawdaddy
My subjective opinion is that the remake pales in comparison to the original to the extent that the original's slower pace allowed the suspense to build in the story. By contrast, the new film moves at a much faster pace, which is good in some ways since I like action movies as much as if not more than the next person, but at the expense of more character development and establishment of suspenseful mood.
Opinions will differ and I have no doubt that many viewers may prefer the new film to the original. There are certain aspects of this film that improve on the original, in my opinion, but overall I still prefer the original. (That fact may surprise me more than anyone else!)
I would be very interested to see how many of our members who have seen both films prefer one version or the other, and the reasons for their preferences.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The word "subjective" is always a given when discussing film opinions which is why I asked you the question as to how the remake pales to the original. IMO, the original is more of a crime movie while the remake is an out and out action film. I actually think the remake has more character development for Travolta and Washington than the original does for Shaw and Matthau. Certainly the pacing of each film is quite different, but I appreciate each film for what it is and really don't have a stated preference of either film because their differences are too great for a fair comparison, at least from my POV. I do know that certain fans of the original have easily dismissed this remake and some even have refused to watch it. To each his own.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks