What's new

Oppo BDP-83 is on it's way! (1 Viewer)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yahoo! I can't wait.
I just finished ordering one, and am kinda excited. I already have three BD movies. Have had them for awhile. Finally finished delivering phone books, so I told my wife that I was going to go ahead and order it. It shouldn't take longer than a week to get it, should it?

One of the movies I got, she loves. Every time it's on tv, she watches it (Independence Day). I've watched the other two on a friend's setup, but was saving ID, to be our first movie on the Oppo. When I can, I'll get the two Men In Black movies for her too, so she'll feel better about it.

Did I say I can't wait?
I'm anxious to see how the movies look on my big 61" screen. Gonna have to get a movie too, with a true 7.1 soundtrack. I know a couple I'd like...........

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Good for you Ed! Enjoy, as somebody that bought his first BR player when there was less than 20,000 sold units, I think you'll enjoy your new HT experience.

Crawdaddy

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
And remmember Ed, proper setup and calibration is eccential to getting the most out of your new BR player .

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by TravisR .
Oh I know. I'm already so antsy, I can hardly stand it!

As well as the BD movies, I can't wait to listen to my sacd and dvd-audio discs too. I'll be making some room on the stand by removing the Denon 2200. That was one reason I wanted the Oppo. There's a guy on CL that listed a Toshiba HD DVD player w/8 movies, for $15. I may see if he still has it. I figured I can use that to watch regular dvds upscaled, and save wear and tear on the Oppo. I'm not counting on him still having it though. For $15, it can't be beat.....

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Congrats on the new player, Ed, and welcome to the wonderful world of Blu-ray.

Personally, I would use the Oppo for SD-DVD playback. The player is supposed to be superb at playing DVDs, so why not take advantage of the feature? You paid a premium for the player for this feature.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yipeee congrats! to go from no blu-ray players (i assume) to the 83 is a huge step! i think a lot of people upgrade steadily from @least 1 standalone or other BD capable players (like BDROM) toward 83 =).

oh and don't forget about the SACD/DVD-Audio capabilities. i know there aren't new titles, but of the older titles that exist, they still sound awesome, like dark side of the moon 5.1 ;)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Thanks Jedi.............
SACD & DVD-Audio are part of the reason I went with this player. I like that they play over HDMI, and I don't have to jump back and forth from multi-channel. You're right too, that I went from no BD player, to the Oppo. This thing is awesome! The movies are looking and sounding great too. Having a 61" screen doesn't hurt either...............

Occasionally, a jazz or classical SACD still comes out. Not heard of any new DVD-Audio discs coming out in a long time though. It's a real shame too. I can't believe that people rather lister to mp3 tracks, than the hi res tracks.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yeah i luv pop music in SACD =). i wish they released more =(. Blu-Ray seem to be the new replacement =). if you read wikipedia's explanation of Blu-Ray spex, technically profile "3.0" is AUDIO-ONLY!

i read that 24/192 is only available in 5.1, 7.1 is limited to 24/96.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit I'm very envious! I already have a BD player (my PS3) but in "simplifying" my HT setup a couple of years ago when I bought it, I removed my DVD-A and SACD players from the system. I have about 50 discs combined of DVD-A and SACD that I'd like to spin up from time to time and I'm starting to itch for a player upgrade.

Maybe after I pay off my Christmas bills I'll treat myself to a post-Christmas present...

bill.M

Auditioning
almost pulled the plug on the JVC blu ray player then decided what the hell and went for the new Oppo unit as well after reading all the rave reviews on this unit and the company itself. Should be here next week
unfortunately my AVR is a bit older..its a Denon 2802..I assume I can hook up via the analog outputs for the new codecs??

bill.M

Auditioning
thanks for clarifying that Ed..
yes i getting rid of my old Pioneer upscaling/SACD/DVD-A to go Blu Ray so I was glad to find a unit that did all that....The Pioneer did a great job upscaling BTW so Im hoping the Oppo does as good if not better..
now i assume i can leave my digital optical/coax connected in addition to the 5.1 analog connections to output regular dolby digital and DTS

bill.M

Auditioning
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley

Thanks Jedi.............
SACD & DVD-Audio are part of the reason I went with this player. I like that they play over HDMI, and I don't have to jump back and forth from multi-channel. You're right too, that I went from no BD player, to the Oppo. This thing is awesome! The movies are looking and sounding great too. Having a 61" screen doesn't hurt either...............

Occasionally, a jazz or classical SACD still comes out. Not heard of any new DVD-Audio discs coming out in a long time though. It's a real shame too. I can't believe that people rather lister to mp3 tracks, than the hi res tracks.
Ed - not sure what kind of music you are into but a few of the new boxsets and remasters that have come out or are coming out are in DVD-A and /or SACD along with regular cd. The Genesis remasters from last year and the King Crimson 40th Anniversary remasters this and next.
The whole thing with MP3 is portability for most folks. Its a shame really and not a good trade off IMO
Funny thing is the younger kids are now embracing vinyl now in addition to MP3..talk about an oxymoron :)

bill.M

Auditioning
hooked up the oppo (code free hardware modded as well) today..very easy to setup with my older Denon..pic is outstanding on Blu Ray ray as well as SD

bill.M

Auditioning
I do notice a lack of punch to the subwoofer somewhat in comparison to my old pioneer. Still sounds good but i remeber pictures rattling on the walls before :)
guess i will have to fiddle with the audio a bit more

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Originally Posted by bill.M

I do notice a lack of punch to the subwoofer somewhat in comparison to my old pioneer. Still sounds good but i remeber pictures rattling on the walls before :)
guess i will have to fiddle with the audio a bit more

You need to boost the sub-woofer channel by 10 - 12 db on your receiver. Also, using the coaxial/optical connection for plain old DD & DTS is a good idea.

bill.M

Auditioning
Sanjay - I am using optical for DTS and DD , I will try and boost the subwoofer channel as you mentioned though. Thanks!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
How do you set to/tell if the player is outputting 24P?

The resolution key on the remote brings up 1080P, my Toshiba LCD says 1080P, but neither tells me whether it is synching at 60 or 24Hz. Yes, I did set the BDP-83 to enable 24P in the settings.

Edit: after reading the manual, I'm sure I've set it correctly for 24Hz output, but I sill can't figure out a way to tell if a given BD is encoded at 24 or 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks