-

Photo
- - - - -

King Kong - The Original

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,264 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 07 2009 - 05:27 AM

There's another thread asking for favorite films still wanted on blu.  I was gratified to see the original King Kong there.  However, considering the age of this film, will it benefit from HD?  I know old films can look great in HD (Day the Earth Stood Still) but this film is much older.  So waddya think?

Perhaps HD will reveal the artifice behind the magic?

BTW, the special edition DVD of this film and of Forbidden Planet are my two favorite special packaging of DVDs.  The Tins are fabulous.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,215 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 08 2009 - 03:57 AM

Anything shot on film and prepared correctly will benefit from HD.

As far as revealing the artifice behind the magic, the stop motion wizardry in Kong has always been rather "there" for people to notice its artifice, such as the strange changing of Kong's hair, but that's part of what makes it so great.

Judging what we can by the 2005 DVD, the eventual Blu-ray release of King Kong will look great, and it has been listed on some "coming soon" advertisements from Warner, so it is being prepared.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,697 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 08 2009 - 04:34 AM

Warner has done a lot of work with "King Kong" film elements and I think it would look great on Blu-ray.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted November 08 2009 - 01:57 PM

Does BD allow you to freeze frame like we could on CAV LDs?

...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,264 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 09 2009 - 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

Anything shot on film and prepared correctly will benefit from HD.
Unless there are reviews saying it sucks, KK will be a buy it now for me, when it comes out.  I hope they keep all the extras from the DVD and add some more.  They need to get a film historian to do a commentary.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,231 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 23 2010 - 10:55 AM

A workman has unearthed a vintage film reel of King Kong during the refurbishment of a West End cinema.

Now the reporting here is a bit shoddy, so some things are unclear. But it sounds like a man working on the renovation of an old movie theater found a reel from a 1933 print of King Kong wedged behind a wall in one of the projection rooms.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 338 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted November 23 2010 - 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

A workman has unearthed a vintage film reel of King Kong during the refurbishment of a West End cinema.

Now the reporting here is a bit shoddy, so some things are unclear. But it sounds like a man working on the renovation of an old movie theater found a reel from a 1933 print of King Kong wedged behind a wall in one of the projection rooms.

The article is dated 18 October, so I'm surprised this is being treated as "breaking news."  You'd think we would have had some reports from the screening last month.  Frankly, I'm a little skeptical of the whole story, but I'd love it to be true.

- Mark

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 526 posts

Posted November 23 2010 - 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_TB 

Quote:

The article is dated 18 October, so I'm surprised this is being treated as "breaking news."  You'd think we would have had some reports from the screening last month.  Frankly, I'm a little skeptical of the whole story, but I'd love it to be true.

And anyway, it's just a print. At this point, only the miraculous resurrection of the original camera negative, or an original fine-grain master struck from it, would be a big deal, no?

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,742 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 24 2010 - 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Penna 

Quote:

Quote:

And anyway, it's just a print. At this point, only the miraculous resurrection of the original camera negative, or an original fine-grain master struck from it, would be a big deal, no?

I think this was pretty well dissected on another thread back in October. It was summed up that if this was not the Spider Pit sequence then there is nothing new found.  And in being a name dropper, I believe RAH sounded in on it also with a few comments.  I believe the thread was KING KONG - Blu-Ray.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,742 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 24 2010 - 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahollis 

Quote:

Quote:

I think this was pretty well dissected on another thread back in October. It was summed up that if this was not the Spider Pit sequence then there is nothing new found.  And in being a name dropper, I believe RAH sounded in on it also with a few comments.  I believe the thread was KING KONG - Blu-Ray.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,231 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 24 2010 - 02:10 AM

Sorry, I searched for a thread about this before I posted it but couldn't find one. Thanks for the clarification.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,742 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 27 2010 - 03:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, I searched for a thread about this before I posted it but couldn't find one. Thanks for the clarification.
Not trying to lecture.  I was just trying to get you to a place where there was more information on the find.  Sorry if I came over crabby, I really am not.  It thread was RAH's on the King Kong Blu-ray (A few words on ... King Kong in Blu-ray).  For some reason my post on this thread are messed up and I can not edit nor paste the link.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,231 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 27 2010 - 06:37 AM

No worries. That was a genuine thanks, not a bitter thanks.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,162 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 27 2010 - 09:23 AM

http://www.hometheat...30#post_3741730

facebook.com/whotony

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow