Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Aberdeen, MD... whatdya know?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,639 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted November 06 2009 - 11:43 AM

I have a job offer for a software position for a company, working out of Ft. Monmouth, NJ that is moving to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds (APG) in Aberdeen, MD. late next year.   I'm wondering if those that live near there can give me the inside scoop of where to live, what to do, things to climb, etc.? 

I know it's on the Cheasepeake so I expect to have a lot of good sea kayaking.. As far as road biking, it's probably fairly flat, avoid I-95 :-).. I think it's fairly close to WV for some Mountain Biking..  How about hiking, winter hiking, XC-sking?  I think Google Maps says it's about 2.5 hours from the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia?   How about local hiking, small parks, etc.??  Cost of Living, etc.. etc.??? 

I've got a lot of time but thought I'd put this out there...

How much is a crab  trap? :-)

Jay

You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted November 07 2009 - 10:08 AM

Not too sure about West Virginia, but it is really close to the PA line.

There is the MARC (regional commuter rail) that can get you into DC in 2 hours.

Outside of the proving grounds, not sure what is around there...

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,629 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 08 2009 - 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H 

I think it's fairly close to WV for some Mountain Biking.. 
Have you seen any of the Wrong Turn films?  /img/vbsmilies/htf/eek.gif

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,639 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted November 09 2009 - 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm R 

Have you seen any of the Wrong Turn films? 

Nope, but I can probably guess what it's about! 

I can find out the usual stuff via the internet but it is nice if there is somebody actually local who can tell me of the inside scoop like traffic, places to avoid, small local parks to hike in, etc.

Jay

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,847 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 09 2009 - 02:22 AM

Jay, I work out of Ft. Monmouth, PM me if you have questions about the central NJ area.  My position should transfer in late 2010, not sure yet if I will be going with it.  All depends on the package my company comes up with.  If you don't have ties to NJ like I do (my family has been in the same town for roughly 125+ years) then Maryland won't come as all that big a change.  You can get property and housing a lot cheaper there, there apparently is less corruption, and less traffic plus lower taxes.  It's not a bad deal.  Curious if you are looking at my company or a competitor =)

Aberdeen has been having on and off post demonstrations since 2006.  At the first one I was curious so I went to talk to them.  I was amused because they were all handing out old bay spice packets and stuff like that.  One lady handed me a wooden mallet, and although I knew what it was for I feigned ignorance and asked her what I was supposed to do with it.  "Why to open your crabs with, of course!" was her response.  I looked her straight in the eye and channeled "My cousin Vinny" and told her "Lady, I don't know what kind of savages you have down there in Maryland but no self respecting New Jerseyan would dare to smash crabs with a mallet!"  She didn't know whether to laugh, cry or run away =)

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,639 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted November 09 2009 - 06:25 AM

Hi Sam, sent ya a PM...

Jay

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts

Posted November 09 2009 - 08:01 AM

I live just down the road from APG.  I am in Baltimore county and APG is Harford County.  Can't help you too much with the out doorsy activities you are into but can provide some thoughts on where to live etc.  If you plan to live in Harford county  than you want to live West of Interstate 95.  The closer to the town of Belair the better as far as Harford County goes.  In and around APG itself is slightly....uh, how shall I put this...unsavory.  There are some decent neighborhoods to be sure, but you can't lose going West of I95.

Maryland is an alright place to live, generally although I don't think it is especially "cheap".  Are you looking to buy a house, or rent?  Do you want a single family home or are townhouses in the mix? Do you want neighbors or solitude?

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,639 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted November 09 2009 - 10:35 AM

I'm looking more for solitude than neighbors, as far as places to live, I'd most likely rent for a bit and then buy a small single family home if I like the job/area, etc.    

I've heard Harve de Grace is kind of nice...  

Anything that would allow me to bike or kayak to work.. I need to see how far across is the Cheasepeake from Elk Neck State Park...

Jay

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts

Posted November 09 2009 - 01:02 PM

Quote:

I've heard Harve de Grace is kind of nice...  

You have heard correctly - great place for sure, although in recent years getting a bit "touristy".  Elk Neck is awesome - have camped there before.  I am guessing the time to kayak from there to Havre de Grace would be a bit long for a commute, but I have no first hand data.

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,847 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 16 2009 - 02:41 AM

Quote:

Hi Sam, sent ya a PM...

Jay
Been meaning to reply to that, look for one later today!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt