What's new

Fox is still releasing a lot of classic in Spain, never released in USA (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
This discussion started in the INFERNO thread, but since it became larger than that topic itself, I decided to create a specific thread for that.

Livius found out that a lot of titles were recently released by Fox in Spain, as part of its Cinema Classic Collection. I was so excited by the news that went to a dvd site to see if there were more titles released and was very surprised. Not only found out great titles, but also noticed that Fox still very engaged with classic dvd releases in Spain, since it slated a very good selection to be released in November.

Here are the titles released this year:

- China Girl (Gene Tierney, George Montgomery)
- Untamed (Tyrone Power, Susan Hayward)
- Woman's World (June Allyson, Clifton Webb, Lauren Bacal)- Kangaroo (Maureen O'Hara, Peter Lawford).
- The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (Don Ameche, Loretta Young, Henry Fonda)
- The Rains of Ranchipur (Lana Turner, Richard Burton)
- Home in Indiana (Walter Brennan, Jeanne Crain, June Haver) Wowwwwwwwwww
- Boy on a Dolphin (Alan Ladd, Clifton Webb. Sophia Loren)
- Iron Curtain (Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney)
- The Raid
- Powder River
- Two Flags West
- One Foot in Hell
- Way of a Gaucho
- Down to the Sea in Ships
- Inferno

And on 11/18, Fox will release (there):
- Forever Amber (Linda Darnell)
- The Foxes of Harrow (Maureen O'Hara, Rex Harrison)
- City of Bad Men (Jeanne Crain, Dale Robertson)- The Walls of Jericho (Cornel Wilde, Linda Darnell, Anne Baxter, Kirk Douglas) Wonderful titles that I never though would make their way into dvd. UI have to find a way to get them all! Hope Fox won't stop its efforts there.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
A bunch of them are here for 14 - 15 Euros:
http://www.dvdgo.com/busquedas/resultados?orden=6&fbuscar=fox%20classics&totalres=75&in=0&xxx=false&ori=null&page=2

Thanks for passing this on. This just demonstrates to me that the Fox restoration department is completely disconnected from the Fox home video department.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
DON'T use DVDGo. Ever since they changed management the service has gone down the toilet, the sSpanish DVD forums are full of endless complaints about them.

In any case, their ordering system has been broken for months, when you try and complete the order payment section you get get a "sorry this page is broken" link. Moreover, it appears that their payments page is not secure. I also noted that when I tried it some time ago, their system retained my card details even though I told it not to, and surprise surprise, their account management section also thows up error pages when you try to remove your card details.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks for that, Richard - I read your post just in time.
Are there other reliable online sellers in Spain?

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
You can always try the Spanish FNAC. My experiences with them have been good, though I send them to addresses in Portugal which makes it all much easier.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
You could try FNAC.ES which are a sort of Spanish equivalent of HMV from what I can make out. They don;t carry every DVD released in Spain (they didn;t have some of the horror stuff from the Spanish L'Atelier13 for example), but should carry the Fox stuff. They do ship overseas but their site only operates in Spanish. BabelFish is your friend.

There is also a store called StarsCafe.com and they do have a full English option, there repertoire of titles was quite small when I looked at them but I think they were quite new. I did a quick search and they do seem to stock the Fox titles (or the couple I picked at random to look for anyway!). They certainly ship outside Spain, it;s right on their front page!

Lastly if you get truly stuck there's a small outfit called MoviesDistribucion who seem to have every title there is, but I can't say I particularly recommend them. The way they do shipping costs for overseas customers is very weird indeed and tends to be very expensive. Again, they are Spanish only.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
And Fox continues to release classics in Spain.

For December (the 2nd) we will have:

- Holy Matrimony (1943): Monty Woolley, Gracie Fields, Laird Cregar;
- Pony Soldier (1952): Tyrone Power, Cameron Mitchell;
- The Roots of Heaven (1958): Errol Flynn, Juliette Greco, Orson Welles;
- The Gift of Love (1958): Lauren Bacall, Robert Stack

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by RafaelPires /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For December (the 2nd) we will have:

- Pony Soldier (1952): Tyrone Power, Cameron Mitchell;- The Roots of Heaven (1958): Errol Flynn, Juliette Greco, Orson Welles;
Yes!!! I'd more or less given up hope of ever getting those. Now if they could get around to releasing The Left Hand of God...

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Livius, thanks for the tip!
Just bought the two titles you mentioned. I hope more deals like that will be extended to the remaining Fox classic titles.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I picked up in Barcelona today, FOREVER AMBER....Incredibly it has been weirdly cropped to automatically be shown on the monitor at 16X9...what a tragedy to one of my favorites. I also bought GIFT OF LOVE which is 2.35 but not 16X9.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Ken,
Let me see if I get that right about Forever Amber. Did Fox cut the top and bottom of the picture to make it appear as widescreen?? Is that what happend?? If so I can believe they are acting like butchers, I will be very frustrated if I find out this is the truth.

And for the Gift of Love they did are presetning it as a fullscreen released instead of widescreen?

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Yes , they have cut the top and the bottom of the picture to make it appear as 16X9. So sad!!!
GIFT OF LOVE is widescreen but is not anamorphic.
If you need anything I will be back in Barcelona on the 11th of DEC.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Ken, this is so strange, since Forever Amber is listed (in the back of its case) as fulscreen. So I will not be buying this.
Also Gift of love is listed as fullscreen, and you say it is widescreen, even though not anamorphic. What's the matter with Fox?

A friend of mine will be in Barcelona by the end of the month and will buy me some of those movies. Now with that information I will have to cut Amber from my list.
I plan to buy the following titles:
- China Girl
- Home in Indiana
- The Story of Alexander Graham Bell
- The Iron Curtain
- Walls of Jericho
- Foxes of Harrow
- My Gal Sal (that I forgot to mention, will also be released in December)

I have to say that I am afraid that some of those titles may present the same problem as Amber, but I will have to risk.

My listed also contained Untamed and Women's World, but I declined those when found out they were fullscreen and not widescreen.

Do you plan to return the film? You have the right to.
I also found out that Destination Gobi will be released by Fox next week.

And since you will be in Barcelona, you might get interested in purchasing To Each his Own and Hold Back the Dawn that will be released there as part of the Universal Cinema Classics.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
You have to be careful. I bought the Fox western "Rio Conchos", nice transfer, but it zooms in from 2:35 to 16:9 after the titles. I also got the Warner title "Teahouse Of The August Moon", just awful, non-anamorphic with a smeary picture (I understand the R1 disc was very good). You can safely buy "The Egyptian" which looks & sounds terrific. I was going to buy "Gold Diggers Of 1933" (the R1 is now very expensive), but after Teahouse, I'd like to read a review first.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I agree with you Billy, that's why I chose titles that are all meant to be shown in fullscreen. And since Gold Diggers is in the same league, I think the probability of it being in a wrong aspect ratio is very low.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
"Inferno" and "Way of a Gaucho" are both fullscreen on these discs, both of them being technicolor pictures from the early 1950s, so 'Forever Amber" may be just a separate case, (as disappointing as it is).

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Originally Posted by RafaelPires /forum/thread/294636/fox-is-still-releasing-a-lot-of-classic-in-spain-never-released-in-usa#post_3633073

And since you will be in Barcelona, you might get interested in purchasing To Each his Own and Hold Back the Dawn that will be released there as part of the Universal Cinema Classics.
Excellent news!

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Joe, do you have those discs (Inferno and Way of a Gaucho)? If so, how are the transfers? Are they restored? Any feedback related to this collection is very welcome.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks