What's new

Two important questions (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
My question is twofold:

a. What difference, if any, might I notice with Blu-Ray on a 720p res as opposed to 1080p? I've heard it takes a screen the size of a room's wall to notice any real difference on a 720p display when the native res is 1080i or 1080p. Plus, my TV looks great with the Dish Network high def (also HDMI) which is usually either native 720p or 1080i. Will downconverting from 1080p to 720p result ina noticable loss of quality?

b. Does Blu-Ray upconvert standard DVD's any better than the upconverting DVD player I have now? I can only upconvert with mine to 1080i, but I only use the 720p setting anyway (I can set it for 420p, 420i, 720p or 1080i).

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
You don't need a screen the size of the wall, but it's an inter-related thing between screen size and viewing distance. If you aren't migrating yet, then it won't be a problem, and then when you do get your next, bigger, and 1080 screen, then you'll see whatever differences there are.

As for the upconversion, well, it depends a huge amount upon (a) what player you have now, and (b) what blu-ray player you pick.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks