-

Photo
- - - - -

Jaywalker Candidates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted November 01 2009 - 10:15 AM

You're probably familiar with Jay Leno's Jaywalking segment where Jay asks geography questions such as "What countries border the U.S.?" and gets answers like "Australia & Utah".

Today I had an encounter with a Jaywalking candidate who works at Sprint's Customer Service department.  I called and asked if my wireless air card could be used in Hawaii without roaming fees.  She kept saying "hold on while I look this up."

After a lengthy wait she said "I'm sorry this is taking so long.  I'm just trying to find out what country Hawaii is in."

(She was an American.)

Have you encountered any candidates for the Jaywalking segment?

P.S. I was going to have an American moderator change this thread's title from Jaywalker Candidates to Jaywalking Candidates but I couldn't remember what country America is in.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 01 2009 - 01:56 PM

Well, a long time ago, my total at Wendy's was $5.60, so I gave the girl six dollars and a dime.  She asked, "What's the dime for?"

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 02 2009 - 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H 

Well, a long time ago, my total at Wendy's was $5.60, so I gave the girl six dollars and a dime.  She asked, "What's the dime for?"
Yeah, the change thing happens all the time. I still can't figure out why they stand there and argue with you about it rather than just punching it into the register so they can see what happens.

It happened to me at McDonald's not too long ago. The cashier puzzled and puzzled over it, then finally had to call over another staff member who told her to just key the amount into the cash register and let the computer figure it out.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted November 02 2009 - 07:19 AM

I had the same thing once.  Except as they were giving change I said "wait I have a nickel".  I got a response back like "what the nickel is foh?" and just said keep the change and left. 

One time at work we printed out a blank map of the US and everyone had to fill in all the states.  You wouldn't believe how terrible it was.  Most of them couldn't even come up with 50 states, let alone put them in the right spot.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 02 2009 - 07:52 AM

Hey, I resemble those remarks! Most of this stuff doesn't phase me. I've got a Ph.D. in Optics and work in Aerospace, and I doubt I could draw a US map of all 50 states. And after 20 years of calculators and computer-aided math, I'm lousy doing it in my head and can't figure out change to get two quarters back.

However, my recent experience with Sony Customer Service (Battery Department) makes me wonder if they're staffed solely by Jaywalkers. Non-responsive customer service. If they respond, it's by mispelled sentence fragments. Multiple incorrect product replacements being sent to me.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 02 2009 - 03:03 PM

I don't know if I could fill in the map of states right now.
I haven't looked at a U.S. map in 20 years.

facebook.com/whotony

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted November 03 2009 - 06:37 AM

Once I was dressed as Willy Wonka for a Halloween costume contest at work.  I wore a wig, a tall top hat, a bowtie, a purple jacket and carried a cane.  As I walked past a bus stop I overheard a woman saying matter-of-factly to her friend:
"That guy is Benjamin Franklin."
WTF???
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 03 2009 - 08:55 AM

Benjamin Franklin is on money.  "Money" means "cool."  Thus, she was complimenting you.  "That guy is so money!"  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif">

var pid = parseInt(3514323); if ( pid > ipb.topic.topPid ){ ipb.topic.topPid = pid; } // Show multiquote for JS browsers if ( $('multiq_3514323') ) { $('multiq_3514323').show(); } if( $('toggle_post_3514323') ) { $('toggle_post_3514323').show(); } // Add perm data ipb.topic.deletePerms[3514323] = { 'canDelete' : 0, 'canSoftDelete' : 0 };

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted November 03 2009 - 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post

Heh, I think I can -- and I'm not even American...

In 2007 on holiday in CA, after dinner the bill worked out to just under $100.  So we placed $120 (a hundred and a twenty) into the folder, handed it to our waitress, and got ready to leave.  We took our time, by which time the waitress had returned and chirpily offered the folder saying "Here's your change!"  Me: "Errr... that's for you..."

I suppose to be fair she wasn't making any assumptions as to her tip, but given that one hundred would have paid the bill, since we put in more I would have thought it was safe to assume that the change and the extra note was the tip.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 03 2009 - 11:15 PM

DaveF:

If anyone had any doubt that you were an engineering/science type, this would have removed it:

Quote:
Most of this stuff doesn't phase me.
In this context that would be "doesn't faze me".   (Unless you mean you haven't been shot with a fictional energy weapon, in which case you were right in the first place.  Speaking of which, I never got around to seeing the Trek reboot and I've been wondering about something:  Did they give anyone the line, "Don't phase me, bro?"  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif) 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin 

Once I was dressed as Willy Wonka for a Halloween costume contest at work.  I wore a wig, a tall top hat, a bowtie, a purple jacket and carried a cane.  As I walked past a bus stop I overheard a woman saying matter-of-factly to her friend:
WTF???
She must have been thinking of the other Ben Franklin :

Posted Image

Anyway, with the outfit you describe, things could have been worse:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Joe

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 04 2009 - 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino 

DaveF:

If anyone had any doubt that you were an engineering/science type, this would have removed it:

In this context that would be "doesn't faze me". 

Joe
Blasted homonyms!!! I'm normally careful about spelling, but you got me there. And while these things don't faze me, they do phase me...I'm always drifting out of temporal or spatial lockstep with the rest of the world /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 04 2009 - 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD 

Hint: It hasn't changed.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,419 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 04 2009 - 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm R 

Hint: It hasn't changed.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif">
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin 

WTF???
This is what immediately came to my mind...

Posted Image

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,581 posts

Posted November 04 2009 - 04:56 PM

I can't remember offhand any situation where I have run into a "Jaywalking" candidate. I do remember a friend running into such a situation. He attended a RC modelling contest in the Eastern States. One of the contestants asked where he was from. Most of the time when asked that question people from Northern BC will use Vancouver, BC as a reference and say, "I'm from such and such and it is so many miles North of Vancouver". Figuring that the guy might not know where Vancouver was, he told him the name of the city and used Seattle, Washington as the reference. The next question.........Where is Seattle?
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted November 06 2009 - 12:34 PM

Here's one of Jay's videos: Jaywalking - Viva Las Vegas!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke