What's new

Looking for Dolby Headphone (1 Viewer)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I'd like to be able to watch movies at night and not disturb my wife. I don't particularly want to give up my surround sound, though, so I think that Dolby Headphone is the technology for me. Unfortunately I've been looking at new receivers and I'm not having much luck finding very many that include it. Am I missing something? Can anybody point me to receivers that have Dolby Headphone or is there some other processing device I need to look into? I'd say that my max budget would be somewhere around $2500. The $7,500 top of the line Denon has Dolby Headphone, but that's just crazy money.

I'm looking at the Sennheiser hd595 headphones. I've seen a couple of wireless headphones that include Dolby Headphone, but I'm pretty sensitive to humming and I'm pretty sure that all wireless headphones have some sort of humm.

Thank you!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Does it have to be "Dolby Headphone"? I'm also thinking of upgrading my receiver, and I was reading that Yamaha's "Silent Cinema" is very nice. That's their version of it. Also, Harmon Kardon receivers have Dolby Headphone. Are you looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver?

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I'm not familiar with Silent Cinema. Is it supposed to be as good as Dolby Headphone? Right now I have a 5.1 setup and I don't really see myself being able to position speakers for a 7.1 setup. It seems like 7.1 is becoming the standard receiver configuration, though, and it doesn't hurt to have... Thanks for the information.

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
Might have a look at the Turtle Beach X41. They have Dolby Headphone, but I've not heard them. I use an import version of Pioneer's IR wireless Dolby Headphone system, SE-DIR2000, since superceded by the 3000 IIRC. They sound exactly like wired phones. Zero noise. The connection is digital, not FM analog. Makes all the difference. The US model SE-DIR800 works equally well, but the sound quality of the headphones wasn't as good in my opinion--but they are way less expensive. It has the option to plug in wired phones, which gives you another option. Still available thru Amazon, for example.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the information. I've been looking at the Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD. Most retailers don't seem to have it in stock, though..

tweek71

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Do you have a virtual setting for front speakers and headphone use? If so you can plug in any headphone into receiver with virtual setting to listen with headphone or 2 channel stereo. May not suit you so check with Sony,Pioneer,Sennheiser headphones which have variety of choices fairly priced , affordable or higher end which can get you true 5.1 and/or extra channel-6.1. You can get only for "home theater" use or select for " Gaming,Home Theater & PC " all-in-one. They are making them better and better. You can go RF or IR. You want to walk around the house with a pair on or do you want to be confined to a 25ft range within sight?

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Sherwood's R-904n "NetBoxx" is a dual-zone 7.1 receiver with DNLA and UPNP audio video streaming and Dolby Volume. Price is $649.95.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks