Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for Dolby Headphone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 09:02 AM

I'd like to be able to watch movies at night and not disturb my wife.  I don't particularly want to give up my surround sound, though, so I think that Dolby Headphone is the technology for me.  Unfortunately I've been looking at new receivers and I'm not having much luck finding very many that include it.  Am I missing something?  Can anybody point me to receivers that have Dolby Headphone or is there some other processing device I need to look into?  I'd say that my max budget would be somewhere around $2500.  The $7,500 top of the line Denon has Dolby Headphone, but that's just crazy money. 

I'm looking at the Sennheiser hd595 headphones.  I've seen a couple of wireless headphones that include Dolby Headphone, but I'm pretty sensitive to humming and I'm pretty sure that all wireless headphones have some sort of humm.

Thank you!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted October 30 2009 - 07:03 PM

Does it have to be "Dolby Headphone"? I'm also thinking of upgrading my receiver, and I was reading that Yamaha's "Silent Cinema" is very nice. That's their version of it. Also, Harmon Kardon receivers have Dolby Headphone. Are you looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver?

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted October 31 2009 - 10:34 AM

I'm not familiar with Silent Cinema.  Is it supposed to be as good as Dolby Headphone?  Right now I have a 5.1 setup and I don't really see myself being able to position speakers for a 7.1 setup. It seems like 7.1 is becoming the standard receiver configuration, though, and it doesn't hurt to have... Thanks for the information.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted November 05 2009 - 04:02 PM

Might have a look at the Turtle Beach X41. They have Dolby Headphone, but I've not heard them. I use an import version of Pioneer's IR wireless Dolby Headphone system, SE-DIR2000, since superceded by the 3000 IIRC. They sound exactly like wired phones. Zero noise. The connection is digital, not FM analog. Makes all the difference. The US model SE-DIR800 works equally well, but the sound quality of the headphones wasn't as good in my opinion--but they are way less expensive. It has the option to plug in wired phones, which gives you another option. Still available thru Amazon, for example.
Roger Dressler

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted November 06 2009 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the information.  I've been looking at the Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD.  Most retailers don't seem to have it in stock, though..

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   tweek71

tweek71

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 17 2010 - 02:50 PM

Do you have a virtual setting for front speakers and headphone use? If so you can plug in any headphone into receiver with virtual setting to listen with headphone or 2 channel stereo. May not suit you so check with Sony,Pioneer,Sennheiser headphones which have variety of choices fairly priced , affordable  or higher end which can get you true 5.1 and/or extra channel-6.1. You can get only for "home theater" use or select for " Gaming,Home Theater & PC " all-in-one.  They are making them better and better. You can go RF or IR. You want to walk around the house with a pair on or do you want to be confined to a 25ft range within sight?

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted January 28 2010 - 06:59 AM

Sherwood's R-904n "NetBoxx" is a dual-zone 7.1 receiver with DNLA and UPNP audio video streaming and Dolby Volume.  Price is $649.95.

Jeff