Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need suggestions for small budget

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   rutledj

rutledj

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 29 2009 - 02:52 PM

I'm no audiophile but would like to have a decent system (recver and surround speakers/sub-woofer). Unfortunately my budget is only about $600 for all. I was leaning toward an Onkyo receiver but need speaker recommendations.

Can I get "decent" speakers (5.1) for around $300?

Thanks,
Rut

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted October 29 2009 - 03:55 PM

the short answer is no.  you can get a decent set of speakers 5.0, but with a sub, you're going to have to exceed that budget.

this is about the best I can come up with:

two pairs of these energy speakers @$85/pair
this energy center @$70

one of the dayton subs starting at $99

that's going to run at least $340 before shipping or cables.

if the budget is that tight, i'd plan on building over time, either wait on the rear channels and go 3.1 or skip the sub under you can afford a better one.

good luck

HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,736 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted October 29 2009 - 04:09 PM

Boston-Horizon 5.1, Onkyo-HT-540 7.1, or Polk-RM6750 5.1. Or the  Energy/Classic-Take-5.0 or Fluance and the Dayton-ES8 8" powered sub. With shipping and tax some of these might be slightly over budget. I don't know anything about the MTX/HTB1 but it looks interesting. Probably kinda cheap, though. Check Ac4l.com/Onkyo for good prices on Onkyo factory refurbihsed receivers, with warranty.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   rutledj

rutledj

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 29 2009 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestions

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 04:50 PM

i looked for these yesterday but missed them somehow.

athena closeouts 5.0 for $180 - 2 pair of these @ $60/pair and this center @$60/ea

s
o add your $99 dayton sub and you've got a little left to apply to shipping and cables.

good luck

HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.