Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD REVIEW: TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Hitchcock Thrillers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,270 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 29 2009 - 02:10 PM

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,882 posts

Posted January 27 2012 - 04:11 AM

Hmmm...  The wife just picked this set up from Costco for $9.99 (after not being able to find the new BD releases of Notorious, Rebecca and Spellbound from MGM/Fox).  Guess that's a pretty good deal for the set (although that might be the expected going rate these days).  Wonder if any of these will make it to Blu-ray in the not-too-distant future now that we're starting to get some more Hitchcock in that format... Didn't realize these would be on flippers though until I read this review.  Are they DVD-18's?  Or just single-layer, double-sided flippers?  Hope I don't run into problems w/ these discs... Thanks for this review, Matt! _Man_ PS: We really need better search functionality here as it took some work to locate this review (or anything all that relevant for this set).

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted February 09 2012 - 01:33 PM

Matt you mention that "Hitchcock fans are likely to already own these films in sometimes more complete editions." I assumed that these are just repressings from the Signature Collection. Is that not the case here?

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,270 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 09 2012 - 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike*HTF 

Matt you mention that "Hitchcock fans are likely to already own these films in sometimes more complete editions."
I assumed that these are just repressings from the Signature Collection. Is that not the case here?

I was using the DVD of Strangers on a Train for my reference here. The version I had featured both the American and British cuts of the film on the disc. This release offered only one cut.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Randal Gist

Randal Gist

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 07:47 AM

This is a good deal--but you are right about Hitchcock aficionados already owing these. (In my case two of the four.) But for two great films, one 3/4 great film and an under appreciated Hitchcock, it's one I might have to go for--if it weren't for those flipper discs. Grrr. Oh well, thanks for posting this.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,264 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 07:15 PM

Would love to get this set. Truly enjoy Hitchcock, but have really only seen the more famous films like North by Northwest, Vertigo, The Birds and a few others. Have never seen Strangers on a Train. but the plot has been used in other shows so would be nice to see the original. Didn't even realize they were still making flippers. I recall The Pelican Brief and something else i got years ago as my only flippers, thought manufacturers had gotten beyond that point. Still worth it even if you do have to take a brief break to change sides. Thanks for the info on the set, wouldn't have even realized it was available if not for you.
Stan

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,270 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 11 2012 - 12:18 AM

The flippers in this case house one movie per side, so you won't be flipping discs in the middle of the movie as in the early days of DVD and (for us old timers, laserdiscs). All four of the films in this set are well worth seeing. Strangers on a Train, as I said in the review, is the pick of the litter, but all of Hitchcock's films from Rebecca onward (which comprise all four of the films here) are worthy efforts worth seeing more than once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users