Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Universal and TCM's Partnership For Made-To-Order DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
244 replies to this topic

#21 of 245 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,450 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 28 2009 - 08:58 AM

I still don't like the price tag of individual discs. Too high unless there will be discount codes.

#22 of 245 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH. 

I still don't like the price tag of individual discs. Too high unless there will be discount codes.
Ditto. I am not opposed to the whole idea of the Archive-style programs at all. Particularly as it will mean getting copies of somewhat obscure movies and minor classics. I am somewhat enthused about Universal's apparent intent to remaster the films. However, I have not been pleased with the price per disc. As i have said before, I cannot see paying more for a DVD-R than a Blu-ray.

If they offered more titles I absolutely MUST HAVE, then I'd pay the prices. Most of the titles offered are more what I think of as "nice to haves", and therefore not worth the $ in the worst economy in a lifetime.

#23 of 245 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,787 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 28 2009 - 10:24 AM

If TCM and Universal are going to give us remastered copies and extras then hopefully Warners will follow their lead.  I am cautiously going to watch this.

I do find it bizarre that TCM is doing this with Universal since they are owned by Time Warner and have a strong connection with Warners.  But anything to get some of the older Universal and Paramount titles in the marketplace.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#24 of 245 OFFLINE   BrianRi

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 10:32 AM

I also noticed that TCM's vault program is selling The Vampire's Ghost (1945), released by Republic Studios, for $14.99. Is this title new to dvd? I don't recall ever seeing it offered before.

http://turnerclassic....asp?sku=D56779

#25 of 245 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 11:16 AM

I don't mind DVD-R and thrilled that these are restored/remastered/fresh transfers.

I wonder who actually is behind this, TCM itself,or is it Movie's Unlimited backing this under the TCM Name?

(Since Warners own TCM,isn't it strange they would licence for release shows from another studio?)

#26 of 245 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRi 

I also noticed that TCM's vault program is selling The Vampire's Ghost (1945), released by Republic Studios, for $14.99. Is this title new to dvd? I don't recall ever seeing it offered before.

http://turnerclassic....asp?sku=D56779
It's a public domain release.

#27 of 245 OFFLINE   PODER

PODER

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 11:50 AM

Good, intelligent, well-expressed retorts and opinions. Many thanks for the civility. I'd just gotten a little weary of the screaming "Woe-Is-Me-ers", I guess. And yes, if AFRICAN QUEEN comes out as a part of Warner Archives with no extras, I'll probably throw my own hissy-fit. Thanks again, guys, for keeping the on-line temp down.

#28 of 245 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 28 2009 - 12:26 PM

If The African Queen came out in the Warner Archive, it would be Paramount who'd be throwing the fit...

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#29 of 245 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 01:16 PM

At least these indicate some level of remastering and minimal extras, plus some thought towards packaging themed film sets and half way decent cover art resembling retail product. A better value than anything Warners offering lately...

#30 of 245 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 778 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson 

If The African Queen came out in the Warner Archive, it would be Paramount who'd be throwing the fit...

Meh, African Queen, Magnificent Ambersons, pick your poison.  Still at least one last big opportunity for each studio out there to royally screw up.   /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

#31 of 245 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 01:53 PM

While I prefer pressed discs and cheaper prices(who doesn't?), this news isn't all bad. If we get some of the early Paramount films and obscure gems like James Whale's non horror output then I'm all for it.

#32 of 245 OFFLINE   ChuckWL

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 02:44 PM

Looks like some of the bonus features on these discs are:

• Behind the Scenes Photos
  • Publicity Stills
  • Lobby Cards
  • Movie Posters
  • In-Depth Info

#33 of 245 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 03:07 PM

The big question is how long after being made avasilable as part of this program will the films show up on TCM? 3 Months? 6 Months? A Year? Clearly the remastering isn't just for these limited releases but for future broadcasts.

If anything this program could help amorize the cost of remastering over both the releases and broadcast fees.

#34 of 245 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson 

Did THE AFRICAN QUEEN ever come out on laserdisc?

#35 of 245 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,173 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 28 2009 - 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWilson View Post

Did THE AFRICAN QUEEN ever come out on laserdisc?

Yeah. Taking a quick look at eBay, the prices seem reasonable on it too.

#36 of 245 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 03:53 PM

Could we now at last get the Alan Ladd/Veronica Lake film noirs ?  The Uninvited ? More Mitchell Leisen ?  The rest of the Marlene Dietrich titles ?  More Claudette Colbert....Deanna Durbin.....Barbara Stanwyck..... Carole Lombard ???   The rest of W.C. Fields/Bing Crosby and Bob Hope ??????   Thank you TCM and Universal.   Now if only something can happen with Fox and all the great remaining titles that are in limbo there.

#37 of 245 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,787 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 28 2009 - 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post

Could we now at last get the Alan Ladd/Veronica Lake film noirs ?  The Uninvited ? More Mitchell Leisen ?  The rest of the Marlene Dietrich titles ?  More Claudette Colbert....Deanna Durbin.....Barbara Stanwyck..... Carole Lombard ???   The rest of W.C. Fields/Bing Crosby and Bob Hope ??????   Thank you TCM and Universal.   Now if only something can happen with Fox and all the great remaining titles that are in limbo there.
I hear you and feel your pain and look forward to see what comes of this.  Perhaps, and I mean perhaps, Fox will look at this and do something through Fox Movie Channel. 

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#38 of 245 OFFLINE   jack phillips

jack phillips

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 04:23 PM

The question that no one has asked yet is the most important one: Who's doing the actual MOD? If it's Allied Vaughn again we're in trouble. In my last batch of Warner Archives, every single title freezes 30 seconds before the end. I don't object to DVD-Rs, just DVD-Rs that are shoddily produced.

#39 of 245 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack phillips 

The question that no one has asked yet is the most important one: Who's doing the actual MOD? If it's Allied Vaughn again we're in trouble. In my last batch of Warner Archives, every single title freezes 30 seconds before the end. I don't object to DVD-Rs, just DVD-Rs that are shoddily produced.

That's a good question! :)

#40 of 245 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack phillips 
 In my last batch of Warner Archives, every single title freezes 30 seconds before the end. I don't object to DVD-Rs, just DVD-Rs that are shoddily produced.
Are you sure it isn't a player issue? It seems curious that completely different discs would all freeze at the same spot.