Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Friday Night Lights - season 4 (DirecTV 101) thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 of 51 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted October 27 2009 - 04:19 PM

FYI - Friday Night Lights season 4 starts up on Wednesday at 9 p.m. (10/28/09) on DirecTV 101.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 51 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 29 2009 - 03:09 AM

Good start to the season.  Wow did JD (young QB) turn into such a douche.

In our state, teams down 45 at half automatically forfeit as part of the mercy rules.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 51 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,901 posts

Posted October 29 2009 - 04:41 AM

Eh...good to have it back, but...eh.

Taylor forfeiting seemed out of character (unless we find out later he was trying to make a statement).

So I guess this season will be about trying to get a win rather than trying to win the championship.  Could be a nice change.

As for JD turning into a douche...seems like a cheat by the writers to me, but I guess at least maybe it will make his character more interesting.

I'm confused about the whole east/west thing.  What is the background of the east school (the physical school itself).  I thought they were building a new school, but I might have just assumed that?

#4 of 51 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts

Posted October 29 2009 - 04:59 AM

No.  In previous seasons they had commented that there used to be East Dillon, and the schools were consolidated about 10 years ago.  Now, however, they had a larger population in one school then the state of Texas provides for (called a super magnet) and so the state tied acceptance of federal tax $ to having smaller class sizes.  Last year, she had tried to save the school by hiring more teachers and expanding the building, and she explained it to the PTA and others and they rejected.. the alumni wanted their money spent on a scoreboard and other things, etc.

So, when renewal of funds came up, the state said: suck it, either provide more classrooms or state takeover.  The state then re-opened East Dillon, basically, because it provided more classrooms at a cheaper price then building new structure onto Dillon High, which blew it's community reserve money on other crap.

Taylor's team had 18 total players, which means several are playing both ways (offense/defense) and as a result, getting killed.  He had 3 injuries, a high ankle twist, and kid who needed stitches, etc.  He ended up with 15 kids who and now damn near everyone would have to play both ways.

I don't know if he had a choice but to forfeit, unless he wanted to go out there and get kids badly injured.  He evaluated what he had, and realized the safety of the kids was more important.  That's when he looked at them and they kept saying "I can play" and the assistant shot him a long look.  There was no way.

I think Coach Taylor's job this year is a job a lot of coaches face that isn't about winning a ton of games.  It's about building the character of the young men in your charge.

trakt.tv

#5 of 51 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,901 posts

Posted October 29 2009 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the clarification Matt...I don't remember any of that! (Not all that surprising though.)

#6 of 51 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted October 29 2009 - 04:29 PM

I liked how they tied the notion of the Hero's Journey in Riggins' lit class into this season where Coach has been stripped of all the trappings of success, and has to rebuild his football program on sheer will and determination, with obstacles and hard choices along the way for the team he leads.

This show is just so good at taking the game of football and integrating the highs and lows of life and blending it with effort and character to produce compelling storylines of overcoming challenges. 

#7 of 51 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,901 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 04:16 AM

One other thing...did they ever reference that Landry was a junior last year?  Seems like a cheat by the writers but I guess they would have had no other way to bring him back.  It would be funny if Landry got left back.

#8 of 51 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 04:49 AM

I thought Landry was in the same grade as Julie.

#9 of 51 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,901 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 05:57 AM

Could be.  All I know is I thought Julie, Matt & Landry were in the same grade until last season when it magically changed.

#10 of 51 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted October 31 2009 - 08:36 AM

what happened to the taylor baby?

was it there last season.  i can't remember.  but i remember that the taylor's were having trouble with the baby and having adult time.
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#11 of 51 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted October 31 2009 - 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottH 

As for JD turning into a douche...seems like a cheat by the writers to me, but I guess at least maybe it will make his character more interesting.

JD's transformation into a douche seemed perfectly natural to me. I saw it several times in high school where a person became a total douche once they became the BOMC.

#12 of 51 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,894 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 31 2009 - 09:51 PM

Julie was never in the same grade.  They might have cheated with Landry, but it's been established for a while that he was a grade lower than Matt.  He certainly wasn't held back, because he's an honor student.

JD is a prick now, which was a little jarring but makes sense.  He's QB1 free and clear, the head coach is his personal coach, he's instantly the most popular guy at school, and he's got a chip on his shoulder because of last season's losing game.  Everything we saw in this episode built from what came before like it always does with this show.

Good rundown, Matt.  That shows how much incredible thought goes into this show, because that could be a newspaper article on a real situation.

I'm glad Tammy screwed them over.  They won't try to use her again.  Unfortunately, she's now back in Joe McCoy's sights.

#13 of 51 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,894 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 01 2009 - 07:13 AM

Forgot to mention how great it was seeing Landry as the vet.  Coach T. doesn't have to earn his respect (which is backwards from how it should be, but the way it is with a brand new team), and he doesn't have to learn Coach's system.  When he jumped up like a man to make things right with the jerk, it was a far cry from the Landry of season 1 who couldn't be serious about anything.  And, when he called out, "Take a knee!" he became the de facto captain of the team. 

#14 of 51 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted November 01 2009 - 02:13 PM

Diallo B,

Gracie Belle is still around. Coach kissed her goodbye as he was heading off to work.
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#15 of 51 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted November 02 2009 - 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raasean Asaad View Post

Diallo B,

Gracie Belle is still around. Coach kissed her goodbye as he was heading off to work.
thx. musta missed that.

listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#16 of 51 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,901 posts

Posted November 05 2009 - 01:55 AM

Okay episode.  Not sure I'm interested in Matt the artist.  Might be time to cut bait with him.

While the writing is as good as it's always been on the show, I'm definitely concerned about the new characters.  None of them really interest me.  Vince is a bore (Smash he certainly isn't).  Hopefully this Luke guy adds something...we don't know much about him yet.

One thing that confused me about this episode - did Taylor know about the mailbox or not?  I was under the impression that he didn't based on the actual scene with Buddy and his explanation to Tami that he doesn't get involved with the boosters and administrative stuff.  But then at the end he told Tami he was sorry for lying.

#17 of 51 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts

Posted November 05 2009 - 02:36 AM

<edited> sorry misunderstood the question.

trakt.tv

#18 of 51 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted November 05 2009 - 02:47 PM

I think deep down, Coach knew about certain things that brought him choice prospects, but kept looking the other way as long as things were going good.  It's been fun to watch Tami outflanking JD's dad time after time, but who knows when she gets put in a truly vexing position.

While I'm not too crazy with the new students in the main cast, I'm willing to let the writing carry them through.

I think, overall, FNL continues to be my favorite TV show still on the air (so to speak), even over Mad Men.

Coach is still going to need to some help, but at least he's got his kids to buy into what he's selling.

#19 of 51 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,894 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 07 2009 - 09:21 PM

Tami is a chess player!  That scene was amazing, though she paid for it.  The whole thing was an emotional rollercoaster.  I felt smug when Buddy revealed the vacant lot to Eric, but then I felt bad once we met Luke and I saw that he was gutted instead of furious.  He's a good man.  First to show up and eager to work for his new team.  I wonder what Riggins will be doing for the Lions.  Maybe Street's old job?

I don't much care for Landry's new crush, but I don't mind the probation kid.  I think these episodes have been excellent and just figure the newbies will grow on me.

Oh, yeah.  What was the deal with the Lubbock guy?  "Find your inner pirate!"  That was a bizarre encounter.

#20 of 51 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted November 08 2009 - 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H View Post

Oh, yeah.  What was the deal with the Lubbock guy?  "Find your inner pirate!"  That was a bizarre encounter.
That was Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach making a cameo appearance. He's known for his somewhat crazy antics.