What's new

New iMac thread, please post thoughts/experiences here (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm starting this thread to gather our thoughts and experiences with the new iMacs, both the 21.5" and the 27". I wanted to do this so we didn't hijack the other threads (like we kind of have with the Magic Mouse thread).

I am in the market for the new i7 CTO version because the program I use most, Logic Studio, uses hyperthreading to great effect and will use the eight virtual cores of the i7 vs. the four cores of the i5.

I was at an Apple store this weekend and saw four or five new 27" iMacs, all C2D with the ATI 4680 video card. The i5 and i7 are not yet available in-store or for delivery. One thing that concerned me was that one of the four/five iMacs had a screen flickering issue. I had hoped it was only in need of rebooting, but recently I looked at both the Macrumors and official Mac forums and I have seen mention of it in both forums:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=808339
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2212682

Check out the Apple thread and the guy posts a video of what it looks like.

The "good" news (if you can call it that) is that the other four in-store were okay, only one suffered from it. The bad news is that they were all the same build, so immediately I think it can't be traced to a certain configuration (i.e. all models with video card X or CPU Y are affected).

I have to admit I'm getting a bit gunshy on the new iMac because of this. I'm hoping that the fact that the i7s aren't shipping until November, and will have a different CPU and GPU (ATI 4850 vs 4680) will make them not susceptible to this problem. I think I'll hold off ordering the new iMac until the Quad Core i5 and i7 are in the wild and people start reporting their experiences from it.

Kind of bummed out, I was hoping to give myself an early Christmas present...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's one friggin' beautiful computer. Now you
understand why I just sold my Mac Pro and am
stepping down into the iMac line.

There is cause to be worried....

There are problems with the 27" iMacs that
have been releases thus far. Many reports
of sluggish speeds and screen flickering. The
complaints have become so widespread that
Engadget and CNET have recently reported
on them. The good news is that the problems
may be more software orientated than hardware
and Apple is probably readying a fix.

The bad news is that those of us waiting for
the i5 and i7 models being released in the
next week or two have no idea whether our
computers will be plagued with the same
problems the first wave of iMacs were.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
A lot of signs are pointing to either the Flash implementation in Snow Leopard, or a driver problem with the ATI cards, or a combination of both.

If it's SL that's the problem (or the image) then hopefully they'll fix it with 10.6.2 which should be out around the time the i5/i7 iMacs are out. If it's a driver issue then there is hope for the i5/i7 build because they will be using a different ATI video card. Also, 10.6.2 should have new/updated video drivers.

I am still 95% sold on buying an i7 because Logic Studio will make great use of the 8 cores vs. my current 2.33GHz MBP. Like Sam I was disappointed with no Blu, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I'll wait until a few reviews are out for the i5/i7. If the problems are fixed, then I'm in. If they aren't, then it looks like I'll be waiting for the next rev and hope I get double-lucky with Blu implementation by mid 2010...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

...I'm tempted, woulda been an easy decision but no blu=no sale
I've been patiently waiting for Apple to upgrade the 30" Apple Cinema Display to LED/Display Port -- but the 27" iMac is $100 cheaper than the *non-upgraded* 30" ACD and they throw in a rather nice computer. Super tempting. But the lack of BD is a definite deterrent. I'll wait to see what Macworld Apple's first 2010 special event brings.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I'm not sure they'll update the iMac in early 2010, but the Mac Pro is getting to the point where it is due for an upgrade. There's talk that they might get the six-core Gulftown processor as a temporary exclusive prior to its public release. Of course that would likely be for the $3200 build and not the $2500 build of the Mac Pro, which is already nearly double the iMac without a screen.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Macpro with bundled 27" ips led flat panel and bluray burner, $2999 first Tuesday in 2010! You heard the totally bogus rumor here first!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
but no blu=no sale

This is totally ridiculous that anyone who
is even remotely thinking of buying one of
these iMacs is holding off because of no
Blu-ray.

Doesn't concern me in the least. If and when
Apple announces Blu-ray support I go out and
buy an external burner for well under $200. I
also hear there is a slimline BD burner that can
be installed in the iMac.

Not going to let the speculation as to whether
Apple is or isn't ever going to support Blu-ray
stop me from buying one of these new babies.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well, the difference is I use EVERY BIT of my Mac Pro's compute power right now and don't "Need" an iMac. Or more power than what I have in my current portable, which you are very familiar with =) So it will have to be when they get refreshed with Blu before I move to either a new iMac or Macbook, and not before. If I wasnt already well stocked that would be different, perhaps.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone who bought the 27" been one of the ones that has had video problems?

If so, has it been addressed by 10.6.2?

Inquiring minds want to know...thanks!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Funny you should mention that Sam. I noticed that when I went to an Apple store on Sunday to see if any had the problem, here is what I observed:

1. They only had 3-4 27" versions on display. In the past they had between 6-8 on display.
2. The image on the machines had completely changed. They used to have added software like the Logic Studio bundle and the Adobe CS bundle loaded onto all the machines. They've been doing this for quite some time, over many years, and when the 21.5" and 27" first appeared in store they had those extraneous programs. Now only the default image was on the computers, iLife and OSX. iWork may have been on there too, but no sign of the CS suite or Logic Studio.

Conspiracy theorists: begin analysis!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina ">[/url]

Has anyone who bought the 27" been one of the ones that has had video problems?

If so, has it been addressed by 10.6.2?

Inquiring minds want to know...thanks![/QUOTE]From what I've read on a couple of forums, 10.6.2 did indeed clear up the 27" iMac performance issues.

Just got notice that my 27" Core i7 w/ 4GB RAM, 2TB HD & full-size keyboard has begun its journey from Shanghai to me!! It is due in on Monday. Will have to schedule the day off...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Eagerly awaiting your impressions Craig...will be monitoring the mac forums to see if the 4850 graphics card doesn't display the problems of the 4670 that is in the non-quad-core 27" models.

And I think the jury is still out on whether 10.6.2 fixed the graphics issues. Some say yes, others say no, and some are intimating that perhaps those for whom it didn't work may have run the System Update and not the full Combo Updater version.

Just need some piece of mind before dropping over $2K on something...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The 27" i5 and i7 iMacs began shipping as of this week.

Mine is expected on Monday.

Looking forward to my new desktop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks