True Grit (2010)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Title: True Grit

Tagline: Punishment Comes One Way or Another.

Genre: Drama, Adventure, Western

Director: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen

Cast: Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin, Hailee Steinfeld, Barry Pepper, Domhnall Gleeson, Bruce Green, Ed Lee Corbin, Roy Lee Jones, Paul Rae, Nicholas Sadler, Dakin Matthews, Elizabeth Marvel, Ruth Morris, Leon Russom, Jake Walker, Don Pirl, James Brolin, Jarlath Conroy, J.K. Simmons, Candyce Hinkle, Peter Leung, Joe Stevens, David Lipman, Orlando Smart, Ty Mitchell, Scott Sowers, Jonathan Joss, Maggie A. Goodman, Brandon Sanderson, Ruben Nakai Campana

Release: 2010-12-22

Runtime: 110

Plot: Following the murder of her father by a hired hand, a 14-year-old farm girl sets out to capture the killer. To aid her, she hires the toughest U.S. Marshal she can find—a man with 'true grit'—Reuben J. 'Rooster' Cogburn.

With Jeff Bridges playing Rooster Cogburn/John Wayne and Matt Damon playing La Boeuf/Glenn Campbell. Also, Josh Brolin playing Tom Chaney/Jeff Corey role.

All of this according to the Hollywood Reporter. Yikes!

Crawdaddy

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This just doesn't strike me as their kind of material. Not that it wouldn't be interesting to see how they do with a Western, but it still doesn't strike me as material suiting their type of filmmaking.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Cormac McCarthy's novel No Country For Old Men wasn't their kind of material either and it's the biggest hit the Coen brothers have had, and 100% successful from a creative point of view.

The original True Grit is a classic and one of my most beloved films.
I don't want to see a remake.
I'm aware of the differences between the film and its source novel, but a new take is not necessary.
I hope this project fizzles out.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Interesting photo.

Hailee Steinfeld looks much younger than Kim Darby when she played the part. Kim must be taking this remake awful hard.

Look at Jeff Bridges small soft hands. John Wayne had big muscular hands. A sixgun looked small in Wayne's hands. You could believe in him as a frontiersman. But I know Bridges has the chops to pull it off, that's what bothers me.

I see that Roger Deakins is shooting it on Texas locations, Granger and elsewhere. Granger is one of those boarded up dusty old Texas towns with old-west style buildings dating back to the 1890s and with streets wide enough to turn a conestoga wagon around. I mean, they're gonna need to throw a lot of dirt over the tarmac. Of course, buildings would be fairly new when the story takes place (the west wasn't old yet). Where are they going for the mountains? Granger is flat farming country. With Deakins behind the camera and the Coens emphasizing facets of the novel that Henry Hathaway didn't, it will be something to see. Scheduled for release December 25.

I think it's going to be a fine film and a huge hit, but I wish they had left it alone.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I've actually never read the original novel (something I plan to do soon), but I'm always fascinated by what unexpected material the Coens take on next. Stylistic similarities aside, they really haven't made the same movie twice, and that's why I always look forward to a new one from them.

I may be a little biased towards this one, though; I happen to know Hailee, and I'm really excited for her. She's quite talented, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what she's done with this character.

I'm generally tired of all the remakes, reboots, and re-imaginings, but when they appear to have some genuine thought behind them, as this does, I'm usually up for giving them a chance.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Richard--W

Interesting photo.

Hailee Steinfeld looks much younger than Kim Darby when she played the part. Kim must be taking this remake awful hard.

Look at Jeff Bridges small soft hands. John Wayne had big muscular hands. A sixgun looked small in Wayne's hands. You could believe in him as a frontiersman. But I know Bridges has the chops to pull it off, that's what bothers me.

I see that Roger Deakins is shooting it on Texas locations, Granger and elsewhere. Granger is one of those boarded up dusty old Texas towns with old-west style buildings dating back to the 1890s and with streets wide enough to turn a conestoga wagon around. I mean, they're gonna need to throw a lot of dirt over the tarmac. Of course, buildings would be fairly new when the story takes place (the west wasn't old yet). Where are they going for the mountains? Granger is flat farming country. With Deakins behind the camera and the Coens emphasizing facets of the novel that Henry Hathaway didn't, it will be something to see. Scheduled for release December 25.

I think it's going to be a fine film and a huge hit, but I wish they had left it alone.

" ...Small hands"?????

Richard, get a grip! :) (Erm, no pun intended). Judging someone's hand from a still and getting all bothered is...getting bothered way too easily. You're reaching (erm...pun intended).

Rooster Cogburn was an iconic role for Wayne, but I can't wait to see what Bridges and the Coens do with it. What will be will be. I actually thought Kim Darby was too old for the part in the original, although she did fine. Hailee is much closer physically and age-wise to the character described in the book.

The scenery was one of the glories of the first film, so I'll be interested to see where they shoot for th mountains.

I'd also recommend anyone read True Grit who is interested - it's very good, and author Charles Portis is a unique voice. If you like westerns, it's a must read, as is Thomas Berger's Little Bog Man, Larry McMurty's Lonesome Dove and Danile Woodrell's Woe To Live On. All of these have been made into interesting movies - Woe To Live On was the source for Ang Lee's Ride With The Devil.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll probably go and see this, but it's hard picturing Jeff Bridges replacing John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn. To me, that role really was owned by Wayne. Sort of like how George C. Scott owns Patton. They can remake it but no other actor will ever measure up, no matter how good he is.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
note to Claire Panke: Jeff Bridges has small soft hands. Baby hands. So there! It doesn't bother me. I said he has the acting chops to pull off a Rooster Cogburn (although the trailer doesn't show it, but ...) and that bothered me because I want John Wayne's Rooster Cogburn to stand unchallenged in my movie-going memory.

Originally Posted by Claire Panke The scenery was one of the glories of the first film, so I'll be interested to see where they shoot for th mountains.

I'd also recommend anyone read True Grit who is interested - it's very good, and author Charles Portis is a unique voice. If you like westerns, it's a must read, as is Thomas Berger's Little Bog Man, Larry McMurty's Lonesome Dove and Danile Woodrell's Woe To Live On. All of these have been made into interesting movies - Woe To Live On was the source for Ang Lee's Ride With The Devil.

By all means, everyone should read True Grit by Charles Portis. Critics compared the novel to Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and with good reason. Daniel Woodrell's Woe to Live On is a significant contribution to the literature of "Bleeding Kansas" and it also made a fine if somewhat different film, as I've said here before. McMurtry's Lonesome Dove does what it does for Texas. It's a great read. I also recommend the novels by Alan LeMay (The Searchers, The Unforgiven), Jack Schaefer (Monte Walsh), and the near-legendary Elmer Kelton. But I would discourage anyone from reading Thomas Berger's exercise in sophistry and pseudo-history in Little Big Man. His view of Indian - Anglo relations is uninformed, unsupported by historical evidence, utterly mis-guided, one-sided to the point of mania, and just plain wrong. As a comedy it's funny as hell, though, providing you haven't studied the history.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The trailer shows a glimpse of a woman walking out a door with one arm missing.

Mattie loses her arm to the snake-bite in the book. Looks like the Coens are playing it like the book.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Richard--W

note to Claire Panke: Jeff Bridges has small soft hands. Baby hands. So there! It doesn't bother me. I said he has the acting chops to pull off a Rooster Cogburn (although the trailer doesn't show it, but ...) and that bothered me because I want John Wayne's Rooster Cogburn to stand unchallenged in my movie-going memory.

By all means, everyone should read True Grit by Charles Portis. Critics compared the novel to Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and with good reason. Daniel Woodrell's Woe to Live On is a significant contribution to the literature of "Bleeding Kansas" and it also made a fine if somewhat different film, as I've said here before. McMurtry's Lonesome Dove does what it does for Texas. It's a great read. I also recommend the novels by Alan LeMay (The Searchers, The Unforgiven), Jack Schaefer (Monte Walsh), and the near-legendary Elmer Kelton. But I would discourage anyone from reading Thomas Berger's exercise in sophistry and pseudo-history in Little Big Man. His view of Indian - Anglo relations is uninformed, unsupported by historical evidence, utterly mis-guided, one-sided to the point of mania, and just plain wrong. As a comedy it's funny as hell, though, providing you haven't studied the history.

Thanks for reminding me of Alan LeMay - I've been meaning to get around to him and other reading simply got in the way. Good to see him so strongly recommended. I'm not familiar with Elmer Kelton's books so will look his work up as well. I haven't read Berger's book in 20 years, but my recollection was that it was not intended to be a history or even realistic - more along the lines of an epic American tall tale. The movie was rather different in tone and affect IMO from the novel.

I love Daniel Woodrell's novels and need to see Ang Lee's Ride With The Devil again.

Have you read Ron Hansen (The Assasination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Desperadoes)?

Bridge's hands don't worry me one way or the other, and I suspect he will be a memorable Rooster Cogburn, which will in no way diminish or displace Wayne's original portrayal in my affections.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Great trailers. Hope it goes wide at Christmas so we wont have to wait until January to see see it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by JonZ

Great trailers. Hope it goes wide at Christmas so we wont have to wait until January to see see it.

It's opening wide on Christmas Day because there is only one other film doing the same and it's a romantic comedy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's nice to see Matt Damon in a comedic presence. Old school westerns always had a certain amount of humor to balance out the darker themes of their stories, and it looks like that will be the case here.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation615
Recent bookmarks